Is anyone using an iPad Air 2 with their Mavic Pro?
25109 19 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Strake
lvl.1

United States

Super  NOOBIE  here.....    I'm  a couple of weeks away from ordering my Mavic Pro   and see lots of folks using iPad Mini 4's  but thought I would ask if

ANYONE is using an iPad Air 2 ?    I realize it would take a 3rd party adapter holder,  but have found several well constructed ones available.

I need to replace my wife's original iPad 2 anyways, which is about 5 years old and about to die.  As long as I'm replacing it,  may as well get something for dual usage!   She likes the larger size  rather than the mini  versions.  My other choice is just to use my iPhone 6S  in the controller's built in holder.

For those of you who are using an iPad Air 2  in an aftermarket holder,  do you find it cumbersome?    I'm SURE   I'd  appreciate the larger screen.  It also has the laminated screen  and uses a A8X processor  so hopefully that is plenty fast processing and can handle 4K video.

I guess  I would need to get one with wifi and CELLULAR  if I want the GPS feature  to allow for Track me   and  to land where the controller is located.....  correct?    I want to be able to fly out on our lake from the boat and have it follow me,  and return to me at the controller on a boat that has been moving.

I've been on here reading tons of forum info and watching dozens of great videos for the past week nearly all day......   great to be retired and since it's only 20 degrees F outside, what else is there to do?

Thanks,
2017-3-16
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recommend the Mini 4!!!

I have both iPad Mini 4 and Air 2 for the P3P and Inspire 1 Pro, but initially used a Samsung Note 4 for the Mavic.

At least until I saw the video that showed spreading the Mavic RC arms out and pushing the Mini 4 into the RC holder and using the center usb port. Fits perfectly into the holder and is now my go to combination for size, performance, and control with the RC.

I looked at the 3rd party holders, but really like the RC mini screen. I tried the Air 2 once and found it just too bulky. With the full P3P and Inspire RC units, you can attach a harness to help support the Air 2. If you decide on the Air 2, make sure the external holder has a harness attachment point to help support the weight and size of the Air 2.
2017-3-16
Use props
Strake
lvl.1

United States

Thanks Daroga !   The Mini 4 and Air 2 are the same price,  so that doesn't figure in for me.....  it was just that my wife prefers the larger Air 2  to replace her ancient iPad 2  which she uses as her full time "device"  while  I use a MacBook Pro.    Perhaps  I can encourage her to want the smaller size.
2017-3-16
Use props
Mavic Driver
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222438 ft
United States

I am running an Ipad Air 1 and have really enjoyed using it over my Iphone 6 and google pixel XL. I use a 6ft cable and set it on my truck's bed lid while flying. The extra screen real estate is nice.

However, there are going to be times where I wont have a place to prop the Ipad in the case, so I went looking for a tablet holder. Also, I am not big on the RC screen info since the only thing it gives me over what's on the mobile device is the battery status of the controller. I found a review for what looks like a decent metal collapsible holder () and bit the bullet for $22 w/express shipping. It should arrive sometime next week. A couple folks in the comments stated they are using an Air 2 with the holder. I can report back on how it works.
2017-3-16
Use props
Strake
lvl.1

United States

Mavic Driver Posted at 2017-3-16 17:57
I am running an Ipad Air 1 and have really enjoyed using it over my Iphone 6 and google pixel XL. I use a 6ft cable and set it on my truck's bed lid while flying. The extra screen real estate is nice.

However, there are going to be times where I wont have a place to prop the Ipad in the case, so I went looking for a tablet holder. Also, I am not big on the RC screen info since the only thing it gives me over what's on the mobile device is the battery status of the controller. I found a review for what looks like a decent metal collapsible holder (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= ... kTjEJx_fI1&index=30) and bit the bullet for $22 w/express shipping. It should arrive sometime next week. A couple folks in the comments stated they are using an Air 2 with the holder. I can report back on how it works.

Mavic Driver,

Thanks !!!!    I've seen a few of Ed R's  videos. I'm  pretty convinced that I would prefer to go with a mount like this for either a Mini 4,  or  iPad Air 2.  

Let me know how you like it after trying it out.

thanks again,
2017-3-16
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I use an iPad mini 2, 32gig with my mavic.  It works fine and will fit into the holder clamps.  Looked at getting a newer mini iPad but they cost too much.
2017-3-16
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

I've used both as well as a 7 plus. Without a doubt the iPad mini 4 is by far the best experience. Performance, screen size, and portability are perfect. Those 3rd party tablet holders are cheap and cumbersome (at least the one I used was). Also, the iOS platform is certainly more stable than Android as reported by many users in this forum.
2017-3-16
Use props
Rusty Iron
lvl.3
Australia

Yes I am. I just posted a pic of my home made iPad holder.
2017-3-16
Use props
VLADYSLAV
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114206 ft
Ukraine

RE: Is anyone using an iPad Air 2 with their Mavic Pro?

Автомобильный держатель для IPAD, установлен снаружи, как вариант  ;)

1.jpg
2.jpg
2017-3-17
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Strake - I'm another NOOB and I tried using my 7+ when I first got my Mavic a month ago.  As I have the Gloss Black 7+ in the Apple Silicon case, it never fit into the RC arms very well.

I looked as a variety of iPad mounts but felt that they unbalanced the RC too much - This is just MY opinion - and opted to go with the iPad 4 Mini.  It has 128 GB of RAM and it handles the video information easily and doesn't change the balance of the RC controller.  The only thing I put on the Mini 4 was a good screen protector and it fits Perfectly into the RC arms.  I did buy a short USB To Lightning Cable and I use the center USB connector on the RC.

I personally find this to be a perfect solution for what I'm doing.  Good Luck.
2017-3-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the iPad Air 2, I made my own holder, it works great.
2017-3-17
Use props
Vimlossus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113071 ft
United States

I'm using the iPad Air 2 with a Mavmount as the holder. It's more money than other options, but it is so well built and you can basically adjust the angle to whatever you want to make it balance in your hand. The bigger screen is nice, and the Mavmount breaks down a little to make it more portable. Fits right into my DSLR bag with all the other stuff
2017-3-17
Use props
Strake
lvl.1

United States

Vimlossus Posted at 2017-3-17 04:23
I'm using the iPad Air 2 with a Mavmount as the holder. It's more money than other options, but it is so well built and you can basically adjust the angle to whatever you want to make it balance in your hand. The bigger screen is nice, and the Mavmount breaks down a little to make it more portable. Fits right into my DSLR bag with all the other stuff

Thanks.....   that's  the one  I was looking at as a first choice.   Are you using the Air 2 in any kind of protective case,  or bare?    I see they offer a larger holder bracket if you are using a case, but didn't know if that was really necessary.
2017-3-17
Use props
Vimlossus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113071 ft
United States

I have a thin case around it, and it would fit with the case easily, but it would also crush the front where the case folds. I like the case I have and didn't want to destroy it, so I usually pop it out before putting it into the MavMount. Also, in Florida it get's really hot, and anything I can do to cool down the tablet from overheating, I will. Removing it from the case is one of those things
2017-3-30
Use props
crchisholm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39416 ft
United States

So judging by VLADYSLAV's picture above, I would be able to use an iPad Air 2 9.7' correct.   I have mobility issues, so I probable don't need to worry about mounting it to the controller.  ( I will be sitting most of the time.)

I have not purchased the Mavic yet, but trying to get all my ducks facing north.
2017-5-16
Use props
crchisholm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39416 ft
United States

I use the iPad Air with the MP and it works great.  I use the Skyreat holder from Amazon and I love it.  Well made and folds up very nicely.  The iPad has cellular capability, but so far, I haven't found a need to even buy a SIM card.
2017-6-2
Use props
Jeffpfeiler
New
United States

crchisholm Posted at 2017-6-2 15:47
I use the iPad Air with the MP and it works great.  I use the Skyreat holder from Amazon and I love it.  Well made and folds up very nicely.  The iPad has cellular capability, but so far, I haven't found a need to even buy a SIM card.

I use this mount with my iPad Air 2 and it works perfectly.  It does not obstruct the thumb sticks.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/473 ... n4HuyxoCE4gQAvD_BwE
2017-7-3
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

yes i use ipad air 2 all the time (WIFI only model, A8 Chip) and on airplane mode all the time, works fine
I use this holder and its great, it can go down to ipad mini or even up to 10"+ for ipad pro etc
air2.JPG
2017-7-3
Use props
TobyRobb
New
Flight distance : 375121 ft
Australia

Hi all,

recently added a 3d printable model to thingiverse that holds an  Ipad air 2 and the controller.  

Public domain.

Works well for me if you have a printer might be of help.

Its on thingiverse.. search dji mavic ipad air 2

Also as thing number 2519785

happy remote flying!,

Toby.
2017-9-5
Use props
TobyRobb
New
Flight distance : 375121 ft
Australia

Hi all,

recently added a 3d printable model to thingiverse that holds an  Ipad air 2 and the controller.  

Public domain.

Works well for me if you have a printer might be of help.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2519785

happy remote flying!,

Toby.
2017-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules