When is DJI going to allow us to fly past the 500m limits?
18479 69 2015-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tim foster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1762359 ft
United States

wow i was getting ready to send my inspire back im in alaska and fly up mountains and glaciers all the time 400 feet would kill my business......
2015-8-17
Use props
Lawrence Casey
lvl.1

United Kingdom

UM305 Posted at 2015-2-26 11:09
Irresponsible, unnecessary, out of the hobby concept , if some body need pictures over 400 , easy  ...

Not that I advocate flying uneccessarily high either, but renting a helicopter's a pretty fatuous suggestion too - unless you're wealthy enough to do so on a whim....... which is same reason people probably fly their drones higher than they should.
2015-8-19
Use props
Skinnertron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 994508 ft
United Kingdom

scott.h.billing Posted at 2015-8-18 10:11
You are correct and you need to remember that the 500 meter limit is from the point of takeoff and ...

I will keep this in mind, thanks Scott ,
2015-8-19
Use props
merazilestudios
lvl.1
United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-8-15 10:49
The 400 foot legend came from FAA recommendations for flying near airports.  Even the AMA's  origina ...

I totally agree
2015-8-20
Use props
Antares
New

Albania

I don't like being restricted either. The altitude limitation problem could be solved, by sticking a tape at bottom sensors. The Aircraft firmware will always see 0 m after this.
2016-6-3
Use props
Hterag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961978 ft
China

Antares Posted at 2016-6-3 23:23
I don't like being restricted either. The altitude limitation problem could be solved, by sticking a ...

I hope you don't actually try this... If that were the case, the aircraft would immediately shoot into the sky, never to return, immediately after take-off. The aircraft needs to know it's actual altitude to control the speed of the motors. If it drops slightly, it increases thrust to go back. If it raises slightly, it lowers the motor speed and drops back down. The more accurately it knows it's height, the more stably it'll fly by making smaller adjustments.

Also, the sonar on the bottom is only used at low altitude, above 5-8m it switches to the barometer which wouldn't be changed by sticking tape over the sonar.

If you really want to go high, you have to start high. Start half-way up a 1000m mountain, fly to the bottom then fly to the top and you've gone up 1000m. Just be careful, I think there is a minimum height, too (might be higher than -500m).
2016-6-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Antares Posted at 2016-6-3 23:23
I don't like being restricted either. The altitude limitation problem could be solved, by sticking a ...

It doesn't work that way.Did you see the video of the guy complaining that his Phantom was shooting up a few hundred feet than woudl drop a few hundred feet. Ended up he was using a gimbal guard causing the aircraft to think it was at different altitudes.
DO no block the sensors.
2016-6-3
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

I have no issue with being capped at 400'. Everything I do is below that ceiling from the take off point. The last thing I want to do is endanger anyone else. If this help with that I've no issue.

It's idiots like this that give the general assumption that we are all going to do this.

2016-6-3
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

daninperth Posted at 2015-8-14 19:49
The 400 foot legend came from FAA recommendations for flying near airports.  Even the AMA's  origina ...

Agree, but remember I believe the FAA does not use the word limits.. so far I have not had any trouble here in the Oregon mountains

Rich   
2016-6-3
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-6-4 02:04
I have no issue with being capped at 400'. Everything I do is below that ceiling from the take off p ...

Watching vids like this just pisses me off.
He should be hunted and thrown in jail.
2016-6-3
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

Linolens Posted at 2016-6-4 09:43

I agree. He makes all of us that actually fly responsibly not only look bad but also may cause undue restrictions that otherwise wouldn't (or shouldn't) be needed. He had zero control of the craft for a long time. Luckily no one was hurt. What really pisses me off  is he has the audacity to put on the video that negative comments will be removed.  Here's to hoping he can't afford another one.
2016-6-3
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

So what happens when you're in Class G (uncontrolled airspace)?

Are you still limited to 500ft?
2016-6-3
Use props
Iantan
lvl.1

United Kingdom

MrSilicon Posted at 2016-6-4 08:49
So what happens when you're in Class G (uncontrolled airspace)?

Are you still limited to 500ft?

It's 400ft above ground level, it's set at that as other aircraft, I.e. Private planes are restricted to a minimum alt of 500Ft AGL.

That means there is a 100ft separation between aircraft/drones.
2016-6-4
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

What is the matter with you,  Its idiots like you that is destroying this hobby, I am 60 years into the hobby of model aircraft, and people like you have practically ruined it in a very short time., Do us all a favor and get out of the hobby before you kill someone,  Why would you possibly need to fly above 400 feet, why? are you nuts,  The quicker your machine gets caught in the jet stream and is deposited a 100 miles away from you the better off we will all be.
2016-6-4
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

tim foster Posted at 2015-8-17 22:06
wow i was getting ready to send my inspire back im in alaska and fly up mountains and glaciers all t ...

I live in the mountains and I fly up and down different elevations all of the time You can fly up and down slopes all you want and still maintain less than 400 ft AGL  with no problem whenever you get 400 feet AGL your camera pictures arent that good anyway.  The only reason to fly above the 400 ft is to experience a testosterone event.
2016-6-4
Use props
DnJE9r3twYDy
lvl.1

United States

tim foster Posted at 2015-8-17 23:06
wow i was getting ready to send my inspire back im in alaska and fly up mountains and glaciers all t ...

If you are flying commercially, 400 feet above ground level (AGL) is your cap UNLESS you are near a feature or structure that exceeds 400 feet AGL in which case you may fly at the height of the structure or feature + up to an additional 400 feet (to maintain safe separation) in the immediate vicinity of the structure or feature. An example would be that you are inspecting a radio transmission tower that is 580' AGL. You are allowed to operate over the tower @ 980' AGL within 2000' of the structure (to maintain safe clearance from the supporting guy wires).

In your case, if you are flying around mountains you can fly at the base (or summit) altitude +400 feet. So if the mountain is 13,000 feet AGL, you can fly at the peak at an altitude of 13,400 feet AGL. This is all base upon US FAA Part 107 regs. Other countries have different laws governing their own airspace.
2016-9-23
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I realize that many here did not understand that

a) its about the 500m alt restriction DJI hardcoded (has nothing to do with any 500ft)

b) the complaints are NOT because anyone wants to fly higher then 120/150m AGL

c) the problem is the DJI drones do not know anything about AGL and if you want to fly up a mountain you will crash into it at 500m over your starting point even if you are flying 30m AGL because of this stupid limit
2016-9-23
Use props
Barney2k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

If you're in the UK I'd strongly suggest getting some training.

There are a few places that do CAA approved courses. (Heliguy being one)

You want to get a proper NQE to train you, especially if you want to operate commercially.
2016-10-31
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4
Flight distance : 354131 ft

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-6-4 13:56
I agree. He makes all of us that actually fly responsibly not only look bad but also may cause undu ...

No he clearly explained that he thought he was an idiot for doing it, felt terrible, will never fly that high again, and put the video online in an effort to prevent other people for being as stupid.

I don't think that is audacity. I think that is education.
2016-10-31
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

mtnmaddman Posted at 2016-6-4 20:24
What is the matter with you,  Its idiots like you that is destroying this hobby, I am 60 years into  ...

The guy already said he would never do it again. He already admitted his fault, etc. I recognize you're just venting here, because what he did was admittedly incredibly stupid, but what's done is done. Realize that the video is there to teach everyone why this is a bad thing.
2016-10-31
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-10-31 20:17
No he clearly explained that he thought he was an idiot for doing it, felt terrible, will never fl ...

Ummm... I disagree. Basic common sense would dictate that you should never do that. I don't care if he felt terrible or not. Stupid decision on his part and luckily no one was injured. Again... I hope he can't afford another one.

*EDIT* He flew up in a airspace that a plane "could" have been in the vacanity and could have had catastrophic effect. I feel no remorse for him since he has 0 common sense. I don't care if he said there is very little air traffic in that area. He also lost control and could have caused damage to life and property (he was lucky). He gives everyone that flys responsibly a black eye and I feel no remorse for him. If he put it up for education purposes then it wasn't needed for those that actually know what to do and what not to do. No education value at all. He was trying to set a height record and I have no respect for that.

2016-10-31
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Linolens Posted at 2016-6-4 09:43

Agree - but the video was posted awhile ago. The OP should consider deleting his post. Clearly many of us want to continue being responsible flyers.
2016-10-31
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-11-1 10:05
Ummm... I disagree. Basic common sense would dictate that you should never do that. I don't care if ...

I don't disagree with you. I'm not defending him.

But I also think that bitching about him on a forum that he likely isn't even on, on a video that's already old, where he already admitted in the description and in the comments of the video about his stupidities, is a wasteful game.

My point is, the video is a great conversation piece to newcomers to the hobby who will undoubtedly do what he did, or would request the removal of the limit for precisely the stupid reasons.

We can rag on about the guy more if you choose to, but the point is he actually learned from his self-admitted idiotic mistakes. Of course he should have never done it in the first place.

Just realize that a LOT of people DO NOT have common sense. It's a trait that you'd think would be standard fair (hence, "common"), but it's no longer a taught practice.
2016-11-1
Use props
fansbe491d01
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

My INSPIRE, 133 flights, over 25 HRS. aloft, NEVER one issue, Never replaced one part "because something happened"  Treat it as the AIRCRAFT that it is, DON"T push the capabilities, DON"T fly beyond YOU"RE capabilities, and stay within aircrafts parameters, and Visual Line of Sight, and you Will fly tomorrow. Enough said!
2016-11-1
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

kevinelliott Posted at 2016-11-1 17:05
I don't disagree with you. I'm not defending him.

But I also think that bitching about him on a f ...

Well put and I don't disagree with that.

The video is old but there are still others out there that will (unfortunately) do the same thing everyday. As drones become increasingly popular there will be more restrictions placed upon those of us that do obey the rules set forth and will limit where we can and cannot fly. Granted where I generally fly it isn't a problem as most of my shots are collected from unpopulated areas. Videos go up on a daily basis of people trying to set records on distance, height, etc... and that just makes it harder on us.
2016-11-3
Use props
kevinelliott
lvl.4

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-11-4 00:58
Well put and I don't disagree with that.

The video is old but there are still others out there t ...

Yep, it's true. People in large populations reveal their stupids very quickly. That's why this growing industry is kind of a shame, because you know that more regulations will be coming. It only takes a few idiots to ruin it for the masses.
2016-11-3
Use props
rtanner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 410453 ft
United States

alexmarnas Posted at 2015-2-25 03:32
Just put 0, and you do not have any-more height limitation.
But soon or later you will have to pay a ...

If you take your 107 test and get your FAA unmanned pilots license like I did your are allowed to go to inspect a tower or building, etc. 400 feet over the structure.  If the structure is 500 meters high (1600 feet+) then you are allowed to go to 1600 + 400 or 2000 feet if you are not in controlled airspace.  No jail time.  You must stay within 400 feet around the structure.  If this 2000 foot AGL you are flying puts you into controlled airspace you need permission.
2016-11-5
Use props
rtanner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 410453 ft
United States

Fred Posted at 2015-2-25 07:49
Why would anyone want to fly a UAV in commercial air space???  it's ILLEGAL, STUPID and DANGEROUS !! ...

Not illegal with the new 107 unmanned license.
Richard
2016-11-5
Use props
henrich
New

United States

we are going to find out in what computer lenguish dji is creating the software(it has to be related with android/apple) and learn the basic instructions go to the dji go program , rewrite the max altitude
2017-3-9
Use props
henrich
New

United States

you need to hack the software, if you are a programmer and know how to communicate with a computer
2017-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules