Max wind speed
8254 13 2017-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kajot dave
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok so this may seem like a stupid question but what is the max wind speed the p4 is safe to fly in?
Ive had my drone for about 6 months now and as i live in the north west of the uk good weather is hard to come by.
I know rhat its basicly a bit of senseble judgement on when i can fly and when i cant but how bad is a no no to fly ?thanks guys.
2017-3-17
Use props
Alyn Walsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91407 ft
Ireland

Just a trainee pilot - but not more than 10 MPS/Beaufort f4
2017-3-17
Use props
kajot dave
lvl.1
United Kingdom

So how would i judge that on the day?
2017-3-17
Use props
Alyn Walsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91407 ft
Ireland

kajot dave Posted at 2017-3-17 12:20

One of these is good!     
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HYELEC-MS ... hash=item4d558e4000
2017-3-17
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I'm not familiar with MPS but I have (not on purpose) flown mine up high when it was very gusty and windy. Through healthydrones.com it showed my windspeed to be 25mph average with 38mph gust.. I was doing a time lapse of the sunset and really had no idea it was blowing that hard up there. I was only around 150 feet up. It did a GREAT job! Still be careful - if you notice that you are having a hard time going in one direction and you are getting the large wind warnings, I would probably lower your altitude and bring it back.. As for taking off and landing.. I have taken off in winds (not flying high) around 15-20 mph. 22mph is the maximum recommended wind speeds according to the manual.
2017-3-17
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Oh yeah!! Download UAV forcast as well! Excellent app - it even tells you estimated wind speeds at different altitudes as well as the KP index for GPS.
2017-3-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

www.uavforecast.com

coupled with

www.windytv.com
2017-3-17
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I believe that the specs call for 22 MPH (10 MPS as noted above), however it depends on how gusty it is and what you are trying to do. If you need to stay low and get in close then I would want less than half that wind at the most. If I am going to climb up high and get far away shots - say like a mountainscape - I can tolerate higher winds. It somewhat depends on whether you are going to be taking videos or stills. With adequate light (fast shudder) I can take good stills in high winds. Trying to take smooth video is a bit more of a challenge in high winds.
2017-3-17
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

Hold it sideways if the prop spin on their own it's starting to get too windy
2017-3-17
Use props
kajot dave
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks guys . Ive downloded a few apps so now i can try it out tomorrow.
Thanks once again for the advice.
Like you all know its common sense but this should help alay some of my fears.
Hopefully ill be able to enjoy flying a little more and get some good videis to show off on here..
Cheers everyone.
2017-3-17
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-3-17 14:24
Hold it sideways if the prop spin on their own it's starting to get too windy

Unique options!
2017-3-17
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2017-3-17 12:59
I believe that the specs call for 22 MPH (10 MPS as noted above), however it depends on how gusty it is and what you are trying to do. If you need to stay low and get in close then I would want less than half that wind at the most. If I am going to climb up high and get far away shots - say like a mountainscape - I can tolerate higher winds. It somewhat depends on whether you are going to be taking videos or stills. With adequate light (fast shudder) I can take good stills in high winds. Trying to take smooth video is a bit more of a challenge in high winds.

Yup. I often fly at high altitudes.  Yesterday doing a 12 minute video I got hit by strong gusts.
I was flying at around 10350 ft altitude and at the 1640ft max height.  I had flown away from the launch site to film a sunrise.

On the return flight I was hitting 50mph so there surely was a high speed tail wind bringing me home.
I could hear my drone the whole flight so that was unusual so I knew the wind was blowing my way.

You can see a couple of rotations I needed to correct. These drones can handle a lot but be aware you cannot see the wind and even an app can only be a guide.  

2017-3-17
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

That, Detective, is the right question.

There are a number of factors.  If you have forest or trees take a good slow look and see if they are swaying in the wind.  Leaves blowing around.  Of course you may think you have little wind as you may be flying in a sheltered area.  Look for the speed of clouds.  If there are any flags flying fully out that indicates high winds ( over 15 knots )  Good for hang gliding in but not so good for your drone.

You  have lower height limits than I do but wind gusts are never predictable.  Also try not to fly in inclement weather.  A wet drone isn't what you want. Those little electric motors don't enjoy taking a bath and will fry.
2017-3-17
Use props
Bone Saw
New

United States

I have flown mine regularly in 30+ MPH winds with gusts higher. It is amazing how much wind these can handle!
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules