Fell out of sky, shipped back to DJI today
7998 106 2015-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rickyc31
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1078760 ft
United States

Oh, and we got it from B&H Photography in New York.
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

kjkisatsky Posted at 2015-4-29 06:23
Ricky, sorry to hear about this.  Seems like your luck and mine are running neck and neck.   UPS sho ...

Thanks, yea, it sure does. They are trying to do a expedited RMA, meaning it will only be in their hands 7-10 business days with them paying shipping both ways. I will advise what they tell me. Also, I am trying to upload the video of it going down, will share link when I get it in the "cloud"
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

Link posted 2 times, deleting this one.
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

This link should work, it is from google drive. Please let me know if it works.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0 ... /edit?usp=drive_web
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

Full address isnt showing, trying once more.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0 ... /edit?usp=drive_web
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

rickyc31@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-29 06:52
This link should work, it is from google drive. Please let me know if it works.

https://docs.google ...

This link doesnt work, does anyone know how to delete posts?
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rickyc31@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-29 06:43
Thanks, yea, it sure does. They are trying to do a expedited RMA, meaning it will only be in their ...

Ricky, when you descend, never descend straight down, always move laterally or forward also.  Doing that will lessen the chance of getting into the vortex.  Your video is a prime example of the VRS.  It starts to wobble and drops fast.  
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-29 07:05
Ricky, when you descend, never descend straight down, always move laterally or forward also.  Doin ...

Thanks, I have never heard of that, I will look into it. All the vids and stuff I have read said to do it like Ive done it (But like I said, one can should never stop learning). I always bring it down as I bring it back to me, when it is approximately where it is in that video, I stop video and start video back on way in(if something happens, lots easier to find), then bring it straight down. I might be 2000 feet away and 600 feet high when I decide to bring it in, like u recommend, I bring it down and in at the same time, not till about 100-200 feet high, 50 or so feet from me, do I start the controlled decent like shown in video.
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rickyc31@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-29 07:25
Thanks, I have never heard of that, I will look into it. All the vids and stuff I have read said t ...

2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-29 07:05
Ricky, when you descend, never descend straight down, always move laterally or forward also.  Doin ...

Like I said, one can never stop learning. I did do a search of vortex and the phantom, tons of stuff popped up, still dont think that is it, it felt like it didnt respond to my input when it started the wobble. (Can this phenomenon happen even on breezy day?) The original crash, it actually flipped as it fell and went silent. I am thinking it is related to that, especially with the compass acting up last night.  

Really, how low should I get before I do the final decent. I gradually descend and always fly it to me to grab, IMHO the gimble looks too delicate for the hard landings I have seen online. All advice welcomed
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rickyc31@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-29 07:45
Like I said, one can never stop learning. I did do a search of vortex and the phantom, tons of stu ...

From what I saw in your video, that was the classic VRS.  You actually fall into the downward disturbed air from the props and lose the lift.
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-29 07:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCret4rv0HE&feature=youtu.be

lol, the one I watched I just wish they used a bigger or brighter copter to see it better. Will try to watch on the TV later tonight, might be able to see it better.
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rickyc31@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-29 07:48
lol, the one I watched  I just wish they used a bigger or brighter copter to see it better. Will ...

They have a lot of them for the VRS.
2015-4-28
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

agree, classic vrs, but i think you made it lots worse and lots more likely to happen - by yawing on way down!  i can not prove it, but i think if you are that shaky on left stick and yawing while descending w/o other motion, you are asking for vrs.    my opinion is DONT yaw while descending or look forward to vrs crash like your video shows.

2015-4-28
Use props
johnk456
lvl.2

United States

that is great news that they covered it two months out! Isn't the warranty for only 30 days? This is making me feel better about my choice to send it back in instead of Cashin in and trying to sell it broken on ebay, I really want it back, as when it was running it was a lot of fun I'm very nervous though now that you say it started messing up again, makes me wonder how good of a test drive they put on it before they shipped it back oh well, glad you got yours fixed, hope it all works out
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

johnk456@roadru Posted at 2015-4-29 08:11
that is great news that they covered it two months out! Isn't the warranty for only 30 days? This is ...

Here is the warranty period for DJI

http://www.dji.com/service/warranty-period
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

yorlik Posted at 2015-4-29 08:03
agree, classic vrs, but i think you made it lots worse and lots more likely to happen - by yawing on ...

No, not shaky, that is just how it descends. In the past, I have always just thought it was the flight controls fighting the breeze on the way down.
2015-4-28
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

They offered me an escalated RMA with shipping label to return my unit back to them with a estimated turnaround time of 5-7 business days. I have my fingers crossed, I was pleased with the quick response from them after sending them the video and description of incident, 45 minutes. In the past, all responses were usually around a day, and seemed like a generic response they send to everyone,
2015-4-28
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

I got the escalated RMA too, but not going to hold my breath this time.  I left the SD card with the doomed flight video inside the bird in case they want to see it.  UPS saying it just arrived in Gardena, CA.
2015-4-29
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

Checked in to queue just hours after it was signed for at DJI.  Last time it took 7 days to get to that point.  Hopefully, this is a good sign.
2015-4-29
Use props
merc_slk_amg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32054 ft
Sweden

This sucks, newer before I heard about worse  support, warranty obligations shall be fixed promptly.
But DJI probably have an incredible amount warranty failure to take care of .
Probibly which is why it takes so long until the claims are settled.

No one who sees a link to a bad product ?

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... d=13290&lang=en
2015-4-29
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

kjkisatsky Posted at 2015-4-30 01:32
Checked in to queue just hours after it was signed for at DJI.  Last time it took 7 days to get to t ...

kiss that SD card goodbye. lol
Thats great news that it is already checked in. Did they provide the shipping label, if so, was it just regular UPS ground or what?
2015-4-29
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

They provided UPS label, fixed it after one day in queue, and it is on way back to me scheduled for delivery in 3 days from now.  We'll see about SD card.  I wrote in the notes that it was included if they wanted rot see video.  Was a warranty repair, no charge.  If all is right, I'll say they did right by me.
2015-5-2
Use props
rickyc31
lvl.2
United States

I got mine back today, still cannot calibrate the compass. "We have repaired your Phantom 2 Vision Plus. The repair technician replaced the landing gear and the flight controller. The firmware has been updated to version 3.12, the Phantom was test flown and is fully operational."  I do want to thank them for the fast turnaround time, 2 days, including shipping, it took 22 days. Also, here is text from first repair. "We have repaired your Phantom 2 Vision Plus. The repair technician replaced one motor, the landing gear, wifi video transmitter and repaired the camera/gimbal assembly. The firmware has been updated to version 3.12, the Phantom was test flown and is fully operational." My firmware has always been 3.12, so actually no updates.
Before it fell out of the sky originally, I cannot recall it failing the calibration after I mastered the process. When I do the first part, I spin it round, receive the green light, tilt it, rotate it 360, and get the fast flashing red/yellow. Tried the second part with camera facing up and down.  I have tried starting it thru the iphone app and flipping the S1 switch 5 times. Always goes into calibration mode, passes first part, fails second part. If I turn it on and let it get the required 6 sats, it will flash green, set the home point and it says in app that it is ready to fly.  They replaced the flight controller, but not compass, reason for second return was failed calibration attempts.  Am I doing something wrong? Should they have replaced compass also? Any advice would be appreciated.
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... brating_the_Compass

2015-5-13
Use props
johnk456
lvl.2

United States

after four and a half to five weeks, I got my repair notice, crash victim, they covered everything 100 percent, 3 motors, gimble, camera, the list goes on and on, it shipped out yesterday, extremely happy with d ji at this point, hopefully do not have problems I seeing her after fixed, they said they test flu and it flew great.
2015-6-16
Use props
pagan.harold
lvl.2

United States

This is remarkably similar to what happened to mine. Like frighteningly similar. I had just fashioned a flared ring from thin plasticard to try and minimize sun glare on the lens. Took her up to see if it worked shortly into the flight the vision app reports control signal lost and the RTH starts. After the message disappeared I tried toggling the S1 switch as per instructions but it didn't work. My RTH is set to 200 feet because I am frequently around tall pines. She hadn't gotten far in her descent when the right side of the phantom drops suddenly and she crashes HARD shearing off the gimble arm and wrecking the phantom.
Have an email that it's in the system and the email states 5-6 weeks estimated time for repairs... Thing is this unit was in my hands for 2 weeks. Delivered on 13th this happened on the 27th. This is not my first quad. I have other units without the GPS assisted features (Syma X5C-1, Eachine H8) so I'm not a total newbie but this was like watching a movie as the controls were not responsive...
Oh and Sumsung Tab S 10" if anyone is tracking that...

I had been getting lockups and app crashes prior to this incident on Samsung Galaxy s5 so I purchased a tablet to get a large viewscreen and hopfully remedy the app crashes.
2015-6-16
Use props
pagan.harold
lvl.2

United States

kjkisatsky Posted at 2015-4-9 21:33
Yeah, mine went from Checked into queue, to position B5, then a few weeks later 'checked into queue' ...

I also spoke with Gregory, he was pleasant and apologetic about the long wait times. He stated it sounded like a warranty covered repair but they couldn't say for certain until a technician had it on their bench in 5-6 weeks.

Delivered on 6/4/15
In queue 6/15/15

Me: anxiously hoping they hire 5 technicians and get these kanbans fixed but knowing it wont happen.
2015-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules