Flying in Boston
637 2 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mitel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50092 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I am going to Boston next week and want to take my Mavic with me. It's my first time flying a drone in the US.

I've got my Small UAS Certificate of Registration from the FAA and read all I can on the FAA UAS web page. I've printed of the certificate number and stuck it inside the battery compartment. I've also bought third-party insurance just in case!

I checked knowbeforeyoufly.org and DJI's flysafe map, but they don't seem to show the whole story. So I looked at the Terminal Area Chart (TAC) on skyvector.com and it seems everything inside 8 nautical miles of Logan International is Class B airspace, but outside is Class G up to 2000 feet, so up to 400 feet drone level should be okay?

Obviously need to stay more than 5 nautical miles from the other small airports. But this is where it gets confusing. I've got the FAA b4ufly app, but it shows rings around some heliports such as WCVB-TV, but not around airports such as Norwood Memorial and other heliports.

Do I need to stay clear or call all airports / heliports within 5 miles or just those with rings on b4ufly?

2017-3-18
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

Use Airmap or KityHawk. FAA's app sucks.
2017-3-18
Use props
Mitel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50092 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks, Airmap seems 100% more understandable!
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules