Neighbours complaining
2437 13 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

While I don't want to cause a fuss and fully respect other peoples privacy, today I got a phonecall from a Neighbour I know and she asked if I owned a drone, I replied Yes and she said that another neighbour had voiced concerns to her about a drone flying overhead and they were going to call the police about it.   I explained that I was just flying the drone for my only training and not spying on anyone and she said she was just letting me know, to which I thanked her.

The neighbours I think it is are new to area and I've not met them yet, I live is a small village with only 5 cottages in the area I fly in North Wales, UK.   

I have choosen to respect them and not fly over their property but was just wondering about the UK laws regarding drones over property, think i read no more than 400 feet high, 500 metres line of sight and not within 50 metres of a person, all of which I have not broken.    Wondering how the UK police would respond to this if reported due to the fact when flying over the properties, I mainly fly over my own property and surrounding fields, now and then doing turns to fly back over the other cottages.
2017-3-19
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3809 ft
Canada

http://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/M ... ones/Flying-drones/

http://dronesafe.uk/drone-assist/
2017-3-19
Use props
Ramius
New

United States

First thing I thought of was "Whoah, people go outside where you live?"  While I am not familiar with UK laws one thing I could suggest is getting in front of the situation, go to the police first and politely let them know that you have recently purchased a drone that you are excited to use but you also want to make sure that you are using it lawfully. Ask them if there are any regulations that they are aware of so that you don't run into any issues. This will do two things, first is they may have all the answers you need but even if they don't the second thing is that it establishes you as someone who wants to do the right thing so if they do come out to your house because someone complained it will be a lot more positive of an encounter because you have already established a relationship with them. I wish you the best and hope that helps!
2017-3-19
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Ramius Posted at 2017-3-19 08:15
First thing I thought of was "Whoah, people go outside where you live?"  While I am not familiar with UK laws one thing I could suggest is getting in front of the situation, go to the police first and politely let them know that you have recently purchased a drone that you are excited to use but you also want to make sure that you are using it lawfully. Ask them if there are any regulations that they are aware of so that you don't run into any issues. This will do two things, first is they may have all the answers you need but even if they don't the second thing is that it establishes you as someone who wants to do the right thing so if they do come out to your house because someone complained it will be a lot more positive of an encounter because you have already established a relationship with them. I wish you the best and hope that helps!

Haha! Tell the police you're flying a drone? Here in the UK the police don't even come out for burglaries, they wouldn't have a clue about drones!
2017-3-19
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Airobotix Posted at 2017-3-19 08:45
Haha! Tell the police you're flying a drone? Here in the UK the police don't even come out for burglaries, they wouldn't have a clue about drones!

Yes very true.....they would rather give you a ticket for not wearing a seat belt!
2017-3-19
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Ramius Posted at 2017-3-19 08:15

Ramius ,
Spoken like a true Gentleman --- My hats off to you ---  EXCELLENT  
2017-3-19
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

F****** NIMBYs. Tell them to mind there own business. They don't own the airspace!
2017-3-19
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I assure you, the UK police will not have a clue of the laws, but they will know the drone code exists.  I can then assure you that once someone reports you for flying over their property the police will discard totally what is advised in the code and will ask you politely not to do it again or risk them having to take further action.  What the action will be I have no idea, but it certainly will not be in the drones favour.  They will do whatever they can to keep the peace and make your neighbours feel comfortable.  They will probably advise you to walk to the field rather than fly.
2017-3-19
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone, when I next see the neighbour (in person) who rang me to ask if it was my drone I will ask who is complaining, not because I want to start anything but simply because of the fact that we are a small community and if I don't know who it is how can I not fly over their property!  

They also live in an area totally surrounded in very tall old trees / dense woodlands so how I could  spy on anyone is beyond me as I'd never get the drone into a position where I could ever have a clear view and as such have to fly very high to avoid the trees anyway plus the cottages in question are in a very narrow tight valley.

I know people want to be private and I fully understand that and respect it and as said it's ignorance of drones and the cameras on them with all the media hype and scaring that leads to these cases. I will also explain to the new neighbours  that all I'm doing is flying my drone with no malice intended if I see them.
2017-3-19
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Gusmtb Posted at 2017-3-19 11:37
Thanks everyone, when I next see the neighbour (in person) who rang me to ask if it was my drone I will ask who is complaining, not because I want to start anything but simply because of the fact that we are a small community and if I don't know who it is how can I not fly over their property!  

They also live in an area totally surrounded in very tall old trees / dense woodlands so how I could  spy on anyone is beyond me as I'd never get the drone into a position where I could ever have a clear view and as such have to fly very high to avoid the trees anyway plus the cottages in question are in a very narrow tight valley.

Sounds like you live in The Shire
2017-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you only have 5 neighbours maybe give them a call and let them know what your about, if there ok about it all good, if not just fly within CAA laws..
2017-3-19
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Yea, if you only have five neighbors, show then the video from 300 - 400 feet. Let them see there is no detail in the video and they shouldn't be worried about you spying on them as you can't really make anything out. Unless of course they are up to no good, then they have reason to fear the almighty drone.
2017-3-19
Use props
DownUnderDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450472 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This makes me think about what I do also. I live on a few acres and often take the odd flight over my land to take photo's of storms etc. Then one day I saw a drone a few houses away and thought, 'what the hell are they doing'

Then I realised that this is something I do too and chilled out. I have now realised how non-drone people feel when they see a drone near their property.

makes you think.
2017-3-19
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

If you indeed haven't broken any laws, go straight to the neighbour in question and politely inform them either in person or by letter that before they report you to the police, they should be aware that you've not broken any laws and attach the CAA drone code for their information.
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules