Flying in Canada
1580 14 2015-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Christian
lvl.2

Germany

Hi there canadian users, are there any limitations or special requests to fly in canada?
I am from europe and have to do some shots there.

My general insurance for the copter covers all countries.
Cheers, Christian
2015-2-25
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

If you haven't already read this link, it will be useful. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... recavi-uav-2265.htm

Please do not misunderstand the information in the above link. Even if you do not intent to earn money from your flight, you still need to fill in an SFOC which is a Special Flight Operations Certificate if you are flying over populated areas, people, or vessels/vehicles. Transport Canada states it takes upwards of 20-30 Business days to get approval. I suspect that it will probably take longer if you are from a foreign country. My first SFOC took nearly 60 days.

There is only a small group of inspectors in each regional office. What province are you traveling to? Probably best to try and make contact with them before.

Robert
2015-2-25
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

I traveled to Calgary, AB over x-mas with 2 quads. Their Customs (whatever they're called) inquired about my purpose of bringing it and when it was leaving. I said for personal and only for the duration of my 7 day visit. No problem what-so-ever.

All was good to go. Flew up at Banff and around numerous locations in Calgary. Got some great footage and despite the extremely cold temperatures that pushed the stated limits of the quads, no issues.
2015-2-25
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

budnikasr Posted at 2015-2-26 01:52
If you haven't already read this link, it will be useful. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/stan ...

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/docume ... V_Print_English.pdf

according to above if you are NOT flying in canada for "work" or "research"  You DO NOT need permission for Inspire -1 In CANADA the previous poster is mis-informed Inspire-1 flying(it is less than 35KG)  for "hobby" "Pleasure" purposes DOES NOT require any special permit or form AS long as you Fly "safely" and they have some suggested tips on this pdf

this information is from Transport Canada (Govt of Canada ) Website
2015-2-25
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

Excuse me arunmehta, I'm an aviation consultant that works with Transport Canada. Even if you are flying for pleasure and as a hobby, if you operate over a populated area you require an SFOC.  Just because an exemption exists it is to be used as a guideline. There are more detailed documents that clearly explain what you need. One document is 122 pages in length and is the staff instructions for Transport Canada Inspectors. Canada is not America, where everyone south of the border thinks they can do whatever they want. Flying safely doesn't prevent accidents and if you understand physics, if a 3kg unit free falls from 100 feet, it will hit with a force of over 700lbs. Go ahead, try to fly in Canada, get caught and you will face up to a $50,000 fine. There has already been a case in Montreal where someone flew as a hobby, flew in an urban area, got caught and fined. Good luck!
2015-2-25
Use props
gwhiz2k
lvl.3

Canada

budnikasr Posted at 2015-2-26 03:00
Excuse me arunmehta, I'm an aviation consultant that works with Transport Canada. Even if you are fl ...

Good info, but I've been following that Montreal case, including a thread that had the actual guy explaining his side. He was flying professionally, doing real-estate work. Not only that, but he has a fancy Website promoting his aerial services. So that wasn't a hobby flight.
Edit: Discussion link here: http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=303666
2015-2-25
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Excuse me arunmehta, I'm an aviation consultant that works with Transport Canada. Even if you are fl ...

I think simply because it weighs over 2.1kg you need to register for a certificate . . .
2015-2-25
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Here is a chart explaining what is needed to fly a UAV in Canada...
2015-2-25
Use props
Christian
lvl.2

Germany

Thank you very much for this useful feedback, appreciate this!

I have to film only outdoor in the banff area, mostly freeskier in open areas or in funparks which are closed to puplic during the shoot, i guess. If i take a look at the graphic, i don´t need a permission but i have to inform TC - correct? Does it take long to get the OK from TC?

@Scooterlam: Pretty the same as you have done before Was it just personal or for a job?
Cheers, Christian
2015-2-25
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Sorry  budnikaser,  the guidelines are explained pictorially quite clearly on transport canada's website
I beg to differ from your opinion even if you are an aviation expert! FOR HOBBY you do not NEED any permits or forms in Canada

IF you are flying for " research" or" WORK" ( not my words) THEN you need to follow the CRYPTIC transport Canada guidelines . i agree with you THEN you need permit which takes 6 weeks :@
2015-2-25
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2015-2-26 03:25
Here is a chart explaining what is needed to fly a UAV in Canada...

hey i posted that earlier that is soooo clear
2015-2-25
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-2-26 03:07
I think simply because it weighs over 2.1kg you need to register for a certificate . . .

Acidsnow  

for business yes more than 2 kg and less than 35 kg requires LESS paperwork than more than 35 kg FOR BUSINESS

FOR HOBBY there is NO distinction between less than 2 kg or less than 35 kg  The isnpire 1 is 2900gm with batteries
2015-2-25
Use props
jsclark89.gmail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 210719 ft

Canada

I believe budnikasr is talking about this:

"The pilot operating under this exemption shall operate a UAV at a lateral distance of at least 500 feet from any building, structure, vehicle, vessel, animal or person unless:
    The building, structure, vehicle, vessel or animal is the subject of the aerial work; and
    Only persons inherent to the operation are present."

if you want to get closer, from my understanding you would need an SFOC.
2015-2-25
Use props
budnikasr
lvl.2

Canada

We did a recent survey with Transport Canada. 9 out of 10 UAV operators, hobbiest's  and commercial operators mis-understand the chart and were required to submit an SFOC for approval and the vast majority of commercial operators who do submit an SFOC for review by Transport Canada, nearly 65% are rejected. If you review the document links below those thinking you can simply fly anywhere and any time may be surprised and hopefully educated.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/ac-600-004.pdf. http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/(SI)_No._623-001_2_en.pdf

The minute you fly it in and around people, buildings, etc., even a ski hill, you are no longer doing it for a hobby. Did you get permission from all the stake-holders like property owner, local municipal authorities, the skiers, etc.? What if you hit a building or a person, is the minimum insurance required going to be enough coverage.

Today you have the luxury of some of the stakeholder being ignorant of the laws, but wait til local law enforcement agencies starting taking more notice.

2015-2-25
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

To further clarify Transport Canada has set a limitation.  Refer to point #26.  This applies to UAV's above 2Kg and below 2Kg.

#26:  The pilot operating under this exemption shall only operate a UAV at least five (5) nautical miles away from a built-up area.

I hereby exempt persons conducting flight operations utilizing unmanned air vehicles (UAVs) with a maximum take-off weight exceeding 2 kilograms but not exceeding 25 kilograms, with a maximum calibrated airspeed of 87 knots or less, operated within visual line-of-sight from the requirements

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviatio ... ns/docs/en/2879.htm

Flying in a city will require the SFOC for any commercial purposes.
2015-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules