Phantom 4 Pro stoped flying at 46 feet in beginner mode and fell?
4651 73 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-20 07:12
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8zq2p7jr3xxc4v/2017-03-19%2019_25_30.dat?dl=0 Let me know if that works for you please!

That's not the right .DAT. Probably came from the tablet? The .DAT you want is on the P4 itself. Look here
https://datfile.net/DatCon/retrieveV3.html
to see how to retrieve the right .DAT
2017-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-20 04:17
If you compare the altitude column with the vertical velocity column then although the altitude manages to descend at 2m/s the vertical velocity can't get above 1.6m/s and the real vertical velocity should have been about 3m/s (unless beginner mode is slower?).  At slower vertical speeds they match.  

Also it seemed that the throttle was not held fully down, although for the last 3 seconds it was close to full down so I guess it is possible that it decided that it had landed and turned the motors off.  

When AC lands pulling left stick down for 3 seconds sends a message to IMU that AC can move no further down so IMU sends message to turn of the motors, this is not done by VPS or Barometer. And highly unlikely this happened mid air.

I suspect unless dji can see something in dat files that might have caused this, it will be classed as malfunction. And the likely hood we will never be given an explanation..
2017-3-20
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4856 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-20 11:26
When AC lands pulling left stick down for 3 seconds sends a message to IMU that AC can move no further down so IMU sends message to turn of the motors, this is not done by VPS or Barometer. And highly unlikely this happened mid air.

I suspect unless dji can see something in dat files that might have caused this, it will be classed as malfunction. And the likely hood we will never be given an explanation..

I am hoping for a manufacturer defect so they can send me a new one without using a DJI Care Refresh. I didn't think something like that should shut off the Phantom from flying. A lot of drone would be dropping if it was left to one stick to determine turning off or on.
2017-3-20
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 2017-3-20 10:46
That's not the right .DAT. Probably came from the tablet? The .DAT you want is on the P4 itself. Look here
https://datfile.net/DatCon/retrieveV3.html
to see how to retrieve the right .DAT

When I go into the flight log it won't let me transfer them from the SD card to dropbox. Nothing is showing up in the assistant but things are showing up on the SD card as far as DAT files.
2017-3-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-20 11:31
I am hoping for a manufacturer defect so they can send me a new one without using a DJI Care Refresh. I didn't think something like that should shut off the Phantom from flying. A lot of drone would be dropping if it was left to one stick to determine turning off or on.

Well there's nothing visible in any of the logs, that show it was pilot error so you will have to wait for a decision from dji, it would be a surprise looking at everything if this went against you.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome..
2017-3-20
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-20 11:36
Well there's nothing visible in any of the logs, that show it was pilot error so you will have to wait for a decision from dji, it would be a surprise looking at everything if this went against you.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome..

Definitely will do Living on the other side of the US It won't get to then until next Monday or Tuesday so I will not get an update until that week unfortunately.
2017-3-20
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-20 11:36
When I go into the flight log it won't let me transfer them from the SD card to dropbox. Nothing is showing up in the assistant but things are showing up on the SD card as far as DAT files.

Just to confirm that's Flight Data not flight log. Rigfht? Try copying the .DAT to your computer. And, transfer the copy to Dropbox.
2017-3-20
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 2017-3-20 12:25
Just to confirm that's Flight Data not flight log. Rigfht? Try copying the .DAT to your computer. And, transfer the copy to Dropbox.

Nothing is showing up in the assistant and the only thing theSD card is showing is the DJI Fly Log. I have to send it out to UPS atm so that was the last shot I have unless there is another way off the SD card I keep.
2017-3-20
Use props
NewPro4user
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34964 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-19 21:13
The first thing to look into is your battery condition.
Holding the left stick down would NOT have caused any problems.

Thank for that link to upload flight log. I hope to never use it for this purpose but good to have.
2017-3-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-20 12:56
Nothing is showing up in the assistant and the only thing theSD card is showing is the DJI Fly Log. I have to send it out to UPS atm so that was the last shot I have unless there is another way off the SD card I keep.

No .. the .dat file is on the internal memory of the Phantom.
There's nothing useful on the removable SD card your photos save to.
2017-3-20
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-20 14:31
No .. the .dat file is on the internal memory of the Phantom.
There's nothing useful on the removable SD card your photos save to.

That's what I figured. Nothing was coming up directly on the drone (DJI Assistant) and the Disk that showed up on my desktop was apparently the flight log with .dat files but nothing would transfer over. So the only flight info I have was off my phone.
2017-3-20
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-20 14:44
That's what I figured. Nothing was coming up directly on the drone (DJI Assistant) and the Disk that showed up on my desktop was apparently the flight log with .dat files but nothing would transfer over. So the only flight info I have was off my phone.

So you couldn't copy files from the Disk that showed up on your computer?
2017-3-20
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

BudWalker Posted at 2017-3-20 15:26
So you couldn't copy files from the Disk that showed up on your computer?

I think he is saying that the .dat file isn't there.  There have been a few occurrences of aircraft logs going missing, especially when they are wanted!

Had a look at the tablet txt log in CsvView, it shows the ultrasonic sensors coming back on 0.5 seconds before the log ends, as the height drops below 15m (50ft).  It shows a reasonable height from the ultrasonic sensors, 8.1 meters at the end of the log, so the problem is not that the ultrasonic sensors are not working, but is likely connected with them being activated as was the case with tvl's crash.  Strange that the altitude is coming down too fast, faster than the ultrasonic sensors show and faster than the maxVerticalSpeed.
2017-3-20
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-20 15:55
I think he is saying that the .dat file isn't there.  There have been a few occurrences of aircraft logs going missing, especially when they are wanted!

Had a look at the tablet txt log in CsvView, it shows the ultrasonic sensors coming back on 0.5 seconds before the log ends, as the height drops below 15m (50ft).  It shows a reasonable height from the ultrasonic sensors, 8.1 meters at the end of the log, so the problem is not that the ultrasonic sensors are not working, but is likely connected with them being activated as was the case with tvl's crash.  Strange that the altitude is coming down too fast, faster than the ultrasonic sensors show and faster than the maxVerticalSpeed.

But he said " and the Disk that showed up on my desktop was apparently the flight log with .dat files but nothing would transfer over." Anyway, this incident looks like some other incidents where the battery came loose. If the .DAT appears the strategy to use is to look at the motor volts data. Battery data is too slow (1HZ) and there is a 1.5 second delay. The motor volts is 50 HZ. Look at the very end of the flight (zoom in the mouse wheel) and there will be a drop to about 6 volts in the last .1 secs.
2017-3-20
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

"Anyway, this incident looks like some other incidents where the battery came loose."
Possibly, but a battery failure or battery connection failure can happen at any time, to me it is too much of a coincidence that it drops out of the sky 0.5 seconds after the first time this aircraft has ever descended below 15 meters with the throttle full down.  15 meters is significant because that is when the ultrasonic sensors start operating which then allows a landing and motor shutdown.
2017-3-20
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-20 16:46
"Anyway, this incident looks like some other incidents where the battery came loose."
Possibly, but a battery failure or battery connection failure can happen at any time, to me it is too much of a coincidence that it drops out of the sky 0.5 seconds after the first time this aircraft has ever descended below 15 meters with the throttle full down.  15 meters is significant because that is when the ultrasonic sensors start operating which then allows a landing and motor shutdown.

With my P3 and Mavic motor shutdown occurs because the IMU (accelerometers) are saying the AC is not moving. I've seen this when I hand catch it. Any slight movement causes the motors to not shutdown. Anyway, this is why .DAT logs were invented.
2017-3-20
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BudWalker Posted at 2017-3-20 16:54
With my P3 and Mavic motor shutdown occurs because the IMU (accelerometers) are saying the AC is not moving. I've seen this when I hand catch it. Any slight movement causes the motors to not shutdown. Anyway, this is why .DAT logs were invented.

Accelerometers do not measure movement, if the aircraft is descending smoothly then there will be zero readings on the accelerometers and gyroscopes in the IMU.

I am a bit puzzled over how it decides that it has landed or been hand caught, the ultrasonic sensors definitely play a part in the decision, but in this case they show that it was moving.
2017-3-20
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 2017-3-20 12:25

What was showing up was the DJI Fly Log disk. Nothing would come up on the assistant. The only time I ever got a .dat file from flight data this experience is out of the phone's DJI Go App. The one that showed up were Flight logs when I plugged the p4p into my computer. I am on a Mac as well and what came up was the black and green file box.
2017-3-20
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-20 17:05
Accelerometers do not measure movement, if the aircraft is descending smoothly then there will be zero readings on the accelerometers and gyroscopes in the IMU.

I am a bit puzzled over how it decides that it has landed or been hand caught, the ultrasonic sensors definitely play a part in the decision, but in this case they show that it was moving.

Of course the accelerometers do not measure movement. But, the AC doesn't descend smoothly enough for the accelerometers to read zero. In fact, if the AC is hovering there is enough movement that the accelerometers are going to be non-zero.

The problem with using the ultrasonic sensor is that it would have to be more accurate than it is. I often see a value of 0.1 while the AC is sitting on the ground.
2017-3-20
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.2

United States

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-20 17:10
What was showing up was the DJI Fly Log disk. Nothing would come up on the assistant. The only time I ever got a .dat file from flight data this experience is out of the phone's DJI Go App. The one that showed up were Flight logs when I plugged the p4p into my computer. I am on a Mac as well and what came up was the black and green file box.

THe DJI GO AP or the DJI Go4 Application.  I also heard some of those were going missing.  Can you clarify?
2017-3-21
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

24ctDrone Posted at 2017-3-21 02:24
THe DJI GO AP or the DJI Go4 Application.  I also heard some of those were going missing.  Can you clarify?

DJI Go 4 App sorry

2017-3-21
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-20 06:18
Did they replace yours no charge or did you end up having to use a DJI Care Refresh?

Yes, DJI did replace the unit under their standard warranty. I do not have the DJI Care Refresh.

PS: Please do keep us updated as I will be very interested to see if your craft had the same issue as mine. I'm just now beginning to get my confidence level back and now I read about your incident. I think I need to be cautious a while longer before I get bold again!
2017-3-21
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

tvl Posted at 2017-3-21 12:21
Yes, DJI did replace the unit under their standard warranty. I do not have the DJI Care Refresh.

PS: Please do keep us updated as I will be very interested to see if your craft had the same issue as mine. I'm just now beginning to get my confidence level back and now I read about your incident. I think I need to be cautious a while longer before I get bold again!

I'll definitely be sure to report back. I am debating on keeping it when I get it back. I purchased it through best buy so I doubt they'll take a return. I should hear from DJI by the end of next week however. I am hoping they are a little quicker than working with the Mavics because I have been waiting since February to get mine back.
2017-3-21
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-3-21 13:04
I'll definitely be sure to report back. I am debating on keeping it when I get it back. I purchased it through best buy so I doubt they'll take a return. I should hear from DJI by the end of next week however. I am hoping they are a little quicker than working with the Mavics because I have been waiting since February to get mine back.

Just so you know, the entire process from the day I shipped my drone to DJI until the day I received a replacement was 3 weeks and 4 days ................. the craft was shipped across country from South Carolina to the California service center. That was a decent turnaround!
2017-3-21
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

tvl Posted at 2017-3-21 17:23
Just so you know, the entire process from the day I shipped my drone to DJI until the day I received a replacement was 3 weeks and 4 days ................. the craft was shipped across country from South Carolina to the California service center. That was a decent turnaround!

Wow ok... My first use of DJI care was 18 days from the day I shipped to the day I got it back.  I am already on day 25 of this and I paid at the beginning of last week. I received and email from DJI yesterday saying they will be giving me 2 day shipping for my Mavic on this 2nd use. I am really hoping they phantom has a quicker turn around time.
2017-3-21
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

Here is what my controls were before the crash as you see it just stops as well as the video feed/recording. Just to add on to the .dat files.

2017-3-22
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-20 05:09
"If you compare the altitude column with the vertical velocity column then although the altitude manages to descend at 2m/s the vertical velocity can't get above 1.6m/s"

At what time is this?  I can't find a mismatch.

Yup. I have had full throttle down from 500m and my P3S does not drop out of the sky.

In fact in my thread of 35% battery remaining showing critical low power I had full throttle and full throttle forward to bring my drone down from 1640 ft and distance of over 2000 ft.
2017-3-22
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

This thread is educational and informative from the knowedgeable members.
2017-3-22
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

kyrvas Posted at 2017-3-22 21:07
This thread is educational and informative from the knowedgeable members.

A lot of threads are.  I have learnt a lot on these threads.  I've had a blast in the last 2 months since I've had my drone.  I've done the whole nine yards with mine.  She's a real workhorse. 100 miles flown over 17 hours in 2 months.  
2017-3-22
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

can anyone from DJI put some input into this situation?
2017-3-23
Use props
SkyWarrior
New

Australia

This is terrifying! Falling drones!! Apart from the expense of smashing some high tech gear, who or what does it hit on impact? Eventually, I want to use my drone commercially. I dread what my insurance premium might be. VERY sorry for your loss...hope DJI gives you a new drone...and maybe an explanation?
2017-3-26
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

SkyWarrior Posted at 2017-3-26 19:47
This is terrifying! Falling drones!! Apart from the expense of smashing some high tech gear, who or what does it hit on impact? Eventually, I want to use my drone commercially. I dread what my insurance premium might be. VERY sorry for your loss...hope DJI gives you a new drone...and maybe an explanation?

Well, mine had the liberty of falling onto a nicely paved parking lot. I should be finding out from DJI over the next 2-3 days as to what's going to happen as far as a replacement.
2017-3-27
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
United States

Update for All! DJI said it was covered under warranty after looking over the flight data. Covered free of charge! Still going to be afraid of handling another!
2017-4-5
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-4-5 18:00
Update for All! DJI said it was covered under warranty after looking over the flight data. Covered free of charge! Still going to be afraid of handling another!

Thanks for the update.  Good to hear about another DJI upholding a genuine warranty claim.

I hope I never need one.
2017-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules