You can see it at 01:03 at timeline
2017-9-3
Use props
fans4f9aa125
New
Flight distance : 185518 ft

Ukraine

I have the same kind of issue.
Have someone managed to solve this trouble with update to Firmware : v01.03.1000?
2017-9-3
Use props
fans9bc52d2b
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'm having the same issue! Purchased through Amazon UK. My first Mavic had a tilting horizon issue. Amazon replaced it no problems. Now this one has the crazy gimbal issue. I contacted DJI and explained I will only accept a replacement and not a refurbished unit. They said no. So I'm sending back to Amazon for a refund. I'm upset because I have purchased lots of accessories and extra batteries which are now useless. And TBH I cant be bothered anymore, when spending £1000 I expect a working unit from the box!

Also I purchased a DJI refresh insurance, can I get that refunded?

The video is my actual drone!

2017-10-22
Use props
taylord
New

United States

Having gimbal stability issues and video problems.

Wondering if I can get some help on this as well. I am having two issues with video and gimbal control.

1) When looking at the video, there are waves all over on the screen. I originally thought this was a transmission issue, but it appears on my video after the fact.

2) My gimbal randomly shoots around in multiple directions while flying. This happens often. I thought my drone was crashing the first time it happened, but the gimbal would just freak out and then return to a stable mode.

I have attached a video. Please advise. I'd love some help on this.

Thanks,

Taylor  
2017-11-11
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Experienced Gimbal Gone Wild twice so far in my 96km of flight time. The latest occurrence was today. Though the camera did not do the very extreme kind of calibration that it did the previous time.
First the camera would not switch from photo to video mode even though I pressed the video button on the RC a few times. Then it jerked a few times (I had a couple of jerks before during that flight -DJI ND8 filter was attached, properly, may I add). Then the camera did the side to side movements and switched into the video mode, with focus lost.
2017-11-11
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

taylord Posted at 2017-11-11 08:24
Wondering if I can get some help on this as well. I am having two issues with video and gimbal control.

1) When looking at the video, there are waves all over on the screen. I originally thought this was a transmission issue, but it appears on my video after the fact.

Interesting that video recording did not stop when the camera reset.

However, what is more worrying, is the jello effect prior to the reset showing that the gimbal cannot compensate for the AC vibration. Do you have the gimbal properly seated?

Check this video:

2017-11-11
Use props
taylord
New

United States

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-11-11 08:35
Interesting that video recording did not stop when the camera reset.

However, what is more worrying, is the jello effect prior to the reset showing that the gimbal cannot compensate for the AC vibration. Do you have the gimbal properly seated?

Yes. It was out of place last night but I fixed it, and it's all in place now. Still having those problems?
2017-11-11
Use props
Osmosis4
New
United Kingdom

Same problem experienced with my Mavic - random erratic gimbal behaviour and recording stops. Sent drone for DJI repair, gimbal part replaced but made no difference. Multiple emails sent over 5 months with support, currently sending back for repair again. I'm concerned how many people have this issue. DJI Support is a shambles, complex warranty and service policies (gimbal 6 month warranty only) - I am not that hopeful they will be able to resolve this - wish I had bought from a reputable 3rd party and get a replacement/refund. May pursue my credit card provider under UK purchase protection laws to get something back.
2017-11-21
Use props
Mitch_111
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1330495 ft
  • >>>
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-3-21 10:24
Try reformatting your the Micro SD card in the Mavic, you might be surprised what this will do, I have seen it remady this issue.
Regards,
-d.

My Mavic Platinum has some of these symptoms.  And, they started when I switched to a 64gb Sandisk ultra plus card.  I will retest tomorrow with the originally suppliesd card and, a reformatted 64gb card to see if the issue goes away.
2017-11-27
Use props
Mitch_111
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1330495 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mitch_111 Posted at 2017-11-27 22:13
My Mavic Platinum has some of these symptoms.  And, they started when I switched to a 64gb Sandisk ultra plus card.  I will retest tomorrow with the originally suppliesd card and, a reformatted 64gb card to see if the issue goes away.

After refreshing the firmware and recalibrating everything along with reformatting the sd card the MPP gimbal went crazy again.  Sent unit back to place of purchase in exchange for another new one.  
2017-11-29
Use props
fans5259fda5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178130 ft
Norway

Use the charging cable to your iphone, fixes everything
2017-12-16
Use props
fansd556ffc7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 983816 ft
United Kingdom

Osmosis4 Posted at 2017-11-21 16:06
Same problem experienced with my Mavic - random erratic gimbal behaviour and recording stops. Sent drone for DJI repair, gimbal part replaced but made no difference. Multiple emails sent over 5 months with support, currently sending back for repair again. I'm concerned how many people have this issue. DJI Support is a shambles, complex warranty and service policies (gimbal 6 month warranty only) - I am not that hopeful they will be able to resolve this - wish I had bought from a reputable 3rd party and get a replacement/refund. May pursue my credit card provider under UK purchase protection laws to get something back.

Had my mavic pro for almost a month now. Experienced the dancing gimble/camera issue on 4 occasions whilst in flight. Had I seen this design/integtation/manufacturing fault earlier I would nor have spent £1,200 GBP and bought another manufacturers product in the first place. I had enough problems with DJI when my PH3 started stress cracking with 42 flights logged. Someone needs to take this kind of in service support to court. DJI, your technical and commercial attutude is astonishing in this day and age. Please fix this problem, and restore your good name ...
2017-12-19
Use props
_tajino_
lvl.2
Malaysia

I have this issue on my Mavic Pro Platinum right out of the box, it happen pretty randomly, more often on the second battery when the Mavic is warm after the first flight. However it does happen once on the first battery right after taking off when I start video recording.

Using Sandisk Extreme Pro U3 A1 64GB SD card, is formatted on the Mavic. SD card is verified to be genuine by Sandisk support. I've ran h2testw.exe full test without errors.
So if it is a 64GB card that is causing the gimbal to freakout, DJI please at least put that in the Mavic manual.

I'll do more tests with the stock 16GB SanDisk card and see how it goes.

I've noticed that the gimbal freakout usually happens when I start video recording. see this :

2018-1-10
Use props
fans708d0e04
New
New Zealand

Hi, I have the same problem and could never figure it out. 2 weeks ago I just pressed record and recorded 7 min continiously without losing the gimbal. In another forum I saw someone said to format the sd card. I did not do that however as the person said it didn't work. Last night I swapped my SD card with one that I had in my phone and it seemed to have solved the problem. I now have ordered the same SD Card is will report back. I have also now formatted my original card using the DJI app. I lost signal after 5 seconds in the air. then did a reset of the camera while it was flying which I haven't done before either. I came back online and I flew for another 20 minutes stopping and starting while also switching to sport mode etc. I've also tried covering the remote antennas to weaken the signal while pressing record on and off....taking photos every so often.  I did not loose the gimbal controls again that time so for some reason I think it could be related to some settings as I've reset the camera and/or the SD card. (I have a strong feeling it could be SD card related.)  I have had the same issue on my ipad mini. Using a Samsung A7 for my last test.

My original SD card is a 64gb Sandisk Ultra xc1 and the phone one I used is a 32gb High Speed HC
2018-1-24
Use props
HUSSRainbow
New

Australia

This is what is happening with mine, got my drone for Christmas, second time it has done it.

I can control the drone, but I can't control the Gimble, was able to get this footage as I was bringing it down.

Not sure why it's happening to be honest....

https://youtu.be/660Isq158C0
any help would be great!

thanks
2018-1-24
Use props
HUSSRainbow
New

Australia

Sorry here is the video.

https://youtu.be/0KwZSC6QsQA
2018-1-24
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9413 ft
United States

YUP! The refuse to officially acknowledge it and provide a solution to it, but that's it! Kid you not - in the ~yr I've been dealing with this issue, I've heard from probably 100 people who've reached out on various social platforms having experienced this - some of which experienced a crash arguably as a result (and which DJI denied any responsibility/liability for).  

When I see it now, I don't freak out - I just establish visual contact with my Mavic and wait for the seizure to end... But let's all be honest - the first time you experienced it, you were convinced it was falling and you were in "anything goes" recovery mode... Fortunately, when I experienced mine, I was at a high altitude, away from all obstacles... Had I have been flying lower and closer to something, I'd likely have knee-jerk overcorrected right into a wall/tree/something...

DJI really needs to step up on this... Personally, I believe it's a SD card related issue... Nothing that I own that takes an SD card reacts this severely, but hey - it is what it is, so just own it.... If the official stance is "you have to buy this $100 32GB card", so be it - but take a stance / make an official statement / acknowledge the problem.
2018-1-24
Use props
HUSSRainbow
New

Australia

MentalEcho Posted at 2018-1-24 16:04
YUP! The refuse to officially acknowledge it and provide a solution to it, but that's it! Kid you not - in the ~yr I've been dealing with this issue, I've heard from probably 100 people who've reached out on various social platforms having experienced this - some of which experienced a crash arguably as a result (and which DJI denied any responsibility/liability for).  

When I see it now, I don't freak out - I just establish visual contact with my Mavic and wait for the seizure to end... But let's all be honest - the first time you experienced it, you were convinced it was falling and you were in "anything goes" recovery mode... Fortunately, when I experienced mine, I was at a high altitude, away from all obstacles... Had I have been flying lower and closer to something, I'd likely have knee-jerk overcorrected right into a wall/tree/something...

Yeah frustrating to say the least, It was horrific when I first saw it, 120m in the air, hovering over a carnival, we literally thought it was the end.... luckily after 30seconds or so, it resumed normal flight, but still I brought it back immediately and just sat there a bit confused...
2018-1-24
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.2
United States

HUSSRainbow Posted at 2018-1-24 16:08
Yeah frustrating to say the least, It was horrific when I first saw it, 120m in the air, hovering over a carnival, we literally thought it was the end.... luckily after 30seconds or so, it resumed normal flight, but still I brought it back immediately and just sat there a bit confused...

Best advice that I can give is "get used to it". Some people swear they've never, in 1+yr of ownership, experienced it - people who indicate that they have the same SD card as me... But I've experienced this issue on literally every Mavic Pro that I've flown - 5 to date... I think they all experience it at some point in time, but some people fly more than others, some people are less prone to share online, etc., etc.,.  Like I said - I just wonder how many folks this winded up in a hard crash for, and who ultimately were just out a lot of money/equipment without support because they didn't squeak loud enough.  I'll say that my experience with DJI on this issue has made me belly laugh at the prospect of buying an Air - and I advise anyone who asks me if they should buy to come to this forum and look at resolutions as they weight their decision.
2018-1-24
Use props
fans41916de6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 832477 ft
Chile

I was trying to fly a  waypoint mission, and got the gimbal freak on every attempt (the mission lasted 8 minutes), and as to most, the recording was stopped. I changed video settings from 4k to HD, and managed to complete the mission without any issue. Seems like the processor cant cope with 4k and gimbal at the same time. So relaxing processing with lower resoltuion, seems to solve the issue. I will keep trying with different resolutions, and see if I get the freak again. Hope it helps.
2018-2-6
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.2
United States

fans41916de6 Posted at 2018-2-6 11:09
I was trying to fly a  waypoint mission, and got the gimbal freak on every attempt (the mission lasted 8 minutes), and as to most, the recording was stopped. I changed video settings from 4k to HD, and managed to complete the mission without any issue. Seems like the processor cant cope with 4k and gimbal at the same time. So relaxing processing with lower resoltuion, seems to solve the issue. I will keep trying with different resolutions, and see if I get the freak again. Hope it helps.

Yup! Thanks for sharing.

I actually shared this hypothesis with someone on another site just this morning who was complaining about DJI sticking them with the gimbal repair costs after 6 months of ownership (since apparently the gimbal coverage is only 6 months?!)...  

I told him that unfortunately he's likely going to just waste his money "having it repaired" because I am convinced that they aren't capable of actually repairing this due to it being something else outside of the gimbal assembly actually overheating and crashing/rebooting...  

I've reproduced this problem on several Mavics when recording in the highest settings - never been able to reproduce it with the lower settings...

Yet another case of DJI advertising a capability that they aren't actually able to deliver on then playing like they have no clue or that they know it's for sure something other than what it actually is (depends on what repair tech you talk to regarding which story you will get).  

What's sad is that it seems that pretty much everyone who has a Mavic and tries to regularly record using the highest settings regularly experiences this and just accepts it as 'how it is'.

I can't count the threads and videos that I've seen over the last year on this, with the community troubleshooting the real root of the problem through trial and error - if we, the owners who paid a lot of money for these, are able to come up with logical theories like this, you know someone at DJI has too and that they've most likely concluded that the real fix would be too costly, so they just don't officially acknowledge it to avoid that liability.
2018-2-6
Use props
Centurio
lvl.1
Germany

Hello everyone, I've also experienced this in my last two flights. I wonder if it has something to do with the used SD card. I'm currently using a SanDisk Extreme 64GB with V30 3 A1 speed classification. It seems to be a little bit more modern since the original stock SanDisk Extreme 16GB with 3 speed classification since it got more of those video specific classification tags on it.

Do you also use this type of 64GB disk? Maybe it is related to this?

For now I've done every calibration possible and updated to V01.04.0300. When the weather is fine I'm doing a few test rounds, maybe the problem disappears.
2018-2-12
Use props
Centurio
lvl.1
Germany

I've measured both SD cards with Blackmagic Disk Speed on my Mac, the 64GB card is even faster with writing so I don't think its related to the speed of the card:

The 16GB card from DJI

The 64GB card I've bought online
2018-2-12
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Just a general observation: If the gimbal movement is related to the writing to/reading from the SD card then the software needs an overhaul...
2018-2-12
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.2
United States

Centurio Posted at 2018-2-12 01:27
I've measured both SD cards with Blackmagic Disk Speed on my Mac, the 64GB card is even faster with writing so I don't think its related to the speed of the card:

The 16GB card from DJI

Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I've long been suspect of the SD card theory...  As I've previously stated, I've reproduced the problem across many (dozen or more now) cards - including the DJI included ones.  I've become more and more convinced that this is related to something related to video capture/processing that's overheating and crashing. More and more people that I talk to about this indicate that it's easily reproducible when using a resource intensive recording mode, but that everything works fine indefinitely when recording in a lower video mode.
2018-2-12
Use props
MentalEcho
lvl.2
United States

achim1989 Posted at 2018-2-12 01:27
Just a general observation: If the gimbal movement is related to the writing to/reading from the SD card then the software needs an overhaul...

Agreed 100%.  That's what I've told DJI support on a number of occasions as well. 1) the gimbal freakout has contributed to who knows how many Mavic Pros getting ran into a wall or otherwise being involved in an accident when an operator understandably overcorrected for what they saw in their feed 2) while this usually just manifests in the gimbal, I've actually had mine and heard of others who've had theirs actually move when the freakout occurs without pilot input (mine usually just does a choppy side to side maneuver about 1ft and/or spins ~45-90 degrees), which seems very dangerous in that the Mavic is moving under its own accord without pilot control.

But yeah.. In any case.. If the SD is involved, that's just shotty QA.  Heck, even without the SD being involved it's still shotty QA - TONS of people have been experiencing this across all Mavic Pro builds since the Pro has been out and DJI has yet to actually provide a fix for (or even acknowledge) this.
2018-2-12
Use props
Kiranos
lvl.1
France

Hi,

I had the gimball reset thing today.

So until now, I did around 30 flights, always the lastest firmware and android app.

I was using the 16GB Sandisk Extreme card from DJI.
I was always filming in 2.7k/30
This card was in FAT32.
My files cut at 3.8Go due to the FAT32 system. This is normal.
All was fine.

Today I tried a new 64GB San disk Extreme Pro card. The same as above, V30 / UHS-3.
System file is exFAT, so I should be able to have bigger video. But I know that there's a limitiation/bug from DJI, I'm still stuck with 3,8Go.
Didn't notice that I switched in 4k/24.
Everything was fine, until the picture started acting like crazy, showing the sky and blades. I thought my drone was crashing.
Screen went black for 1 sec, it come back all blurry and still moving too much. Then it stopped. Still cannot focus the picture for 1 minute more...

Really scary...

Ok ok so now, I was filming at this time, and the video cut right before the incident.
Like others, it was right when the video file reached the 3.8Go size.

My guess is that this gimball reset bug is related to the video size limit.
I need to try again in 4k and 2.7k to see if it specifically does it in 4k.
Or maybe it could be from the card file system. exFAT may not be supported correctly.

2018-3-18
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Kiranos Posted at 2018-3-18 17:06
Hi,

I had the gimball reset thing today.

I finally encountered the similar Gimbal-reset problem after recent FW upgrade.  I'm always shooing in 2.7K  and wondering if this was the cause.  Before the FW upgrade, I have about 70 flights with this MPP,  without any Gimbal-reset problem.

Mid-Air Gimbal - Reset after FW upgrade
2018-3-18
Use props
Urhokas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290525 ft
Finland

Have very similar problem in my Dji mavic pro. First "freaking gimbal" problem was rare. Happened about 1/15-20 flight. Recently this happens more often. Like 1/8 flights.
Made little video from footage i got:

Problem starts usually from starting video recording mid-flight or in middle of recording. One time gimbal went awol when i was shooting just photos.

First gimbal seem to "drop". Camera hangs usually freely on mercy of copter other movement. Happily flight controls were not affected at all.
At the same time mavic´s internal recording almost always stops. Videolink works whole time but phones recording stops little later. At this time camera and gimbal controls are not responding. After 10-20 seconds camera starts jitter more and weird "focusing" effect appear. I think that camera resets itself. Camera returns most often working order 30seconds after that. Althought sometimes have to land and shut mavic down and reboot. After mavic returns working order it usually works flawlessy at least all my 3 batteries flight time.

Have tried all sensor calibration and resets. I remember that earlier firmwares needed more land-off/shutdown procedures. In newer firmwares almost always camera returns working in flight after 30-45 seconds. Weather/wind/etc seem not to effect this problem. Flight records dont show any warnings (sometimes wind warning off-course), but no gimbal overload warning or anything.

Also controllers photo button have been getting stuck sometimes. Video button seem not have same problem but when photo gest stuck it just keeps taking photos and i have to wiggle it little bit to make it stop.
Going to send mavic to warranty soon.
2018-3-22
Use props
Urhokas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 290525 ft
Finland

Little update to previous post. Send mavic to warranty with my reseller about 4 weeks ago. Yesterday got email that the copter its on way back to me. Not the fastest repair but not the longest either. Got also update that something called "Gimbal control board" was changed. We shall see if thats make any diffrence on this problem..  Controller photo button, that keep getting stuck, was also replaced.
Cant wait to fly again after over 4 weeks of waiting Missed many nice spring days :/
2018-4-21
Use props
fansf935b8ae
New
Flight distance : 11526 ft
United States

FORMATTING THE MICRO SD CARD WORKED FOR ME!
updated firmware & still had no control of camera... formatted the Micro SD Card & Wam Bam Thank You Mam
2019-6-8
Use props
romanp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34846 ft
Belarus

Hi all, old topic but this is what comes up first in google, and I figured people might be still searching for this so I'll share what I found. I see that this gimbal issue troubles a lot of people and there seems to not be any definitive answer to what causes it.

First, let's define what exactly is the issue, so we know we're talking about the same thing:
- Camera gimbal makes weird movement and starts to act unresponsively. Camera does not follow the drone's movement naymore which leads to part of drone being in the shot, weird camera angles, jerky movements etc. Which when you face it the first time, looks like the drone is falling.
- All flight controls remain functional.
- Camera controls become grayed-out in the app, you cannot change the camera focus, angle the camera up and down, change the exposure, switch between video/photo mode.
- The recording on the SD card stops, although you still have the recording on the phone if it's enabled in the settings.
Here's a video of the issue with my particular drone, (identical to dozens that people already shared) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGGamYuJHOg

So, after year+ of struggling with this I think I finally have a "breakthrough" by narrowing it down to a single component in the drone and that component is... the main board!
I'll share the process and how I got to this point.

I was able to get my hands on 2 drones - one which was exhibiting this issue quite frequently (enough to not be flyable) and the other one 100% healthy.
So here's a list of theories that I've checked and which showed to be false:
- Gimbal/board: This is first and the most obvious and this is what DJI replaces if you go to them with the gimbal issue, but as people stated earlier in this topic, this does not fix the problem. I changed the camera + gimbal + gimbal board between my 2 drones and the faulty drone with "good" camera and gimbal still showed this issue while the healthy drone with "bad" camera + gimbal did not.
- SD card theory: tried all kinds of SD cards, different capacities, speeds, no card at all, bad drone always had the gimbal issue, the healthy one did not.
- Battery theory (some people have said it correlates with which battery they use): Tried 4 different batteries from different sources, in different state (charged/uncharged), the result it always the same. The issue is only on the "bad" drone.
- Bad power delivery: Tried unplugging camera/gimbal power on a working  drone, while this leads to camera not being operable, the symptoms are  different. So I conclude that bad power is not the case here.
- Updating firmware: Updating from original firmware that the drone came with in 2017 up to the latest version (as of september 2021) did not make any help in terms of gimbal issue.
- Gimbal re-calibration: Tried all calibrations/re-calibrations/formatting everything/resetting to default settings. This doesn't help.
- Remote controller: Sounds silly but this is the only thing that remained unchecked and it goes together with the main board, so I had to check it. Needless to say, re-linking the remotes between the drones did not make any change.

So at the end we're left with the main board. And indeed, changing only the main board between my 2 drones immediately fixed the issue for the faulty drone and (what's more important) made the good drone to experience this exact same issue. The drones had the exact same firmware version so I'm sure that the only thing different was the main board hardware.
At this point we're ordering a new main board for the faulty drone.
And here's a pic of me replacing the main board photo_2021-09-24_13-22-28.jpg

I hope this helps someone. And maybe someone will take it a step further and narrow down what exactly on the main board is causing this issue.
2021-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules