How to invert the gimbal control
34301 107 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pdonker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228734 ft
Switzerland

I stumbled on this thread because, like so many others, I too, find it counterintuitive. I *consistently* tilt the camera the wrong way. I have no explanation for it. But the DJI way just want to get into "finger memory". So, please DJI, give us a setting for it.
2021-3-27
Use props
djiuser_0YppmzWTI2CX
New

Canada

Harbourside Posted at 2017-3-20 12:05
How is it counterintuitive ? You rotate the wheel down towards you and it pans down and rotate up away from you to pan up. That seems the most sensible way to do it.
You can adjust the rate and smoothness in the app.

For anyone with an aviation background, it is very unintuitive: moving the gimbal wheel (right) with your index finger is a pushing motion which for aviators is a downward control motion.  Pulling the wheel back(left)  is pulling up motion.  

People with a video gaming background, on the other hand,  are used the reverse.  It depends on your background I think.
2021-3-28
Use props
djiuser_EpK7dtLU7BE2
lvl.1
Czechia

I agree, it's similar to the gaming where I always had the option to invert the Y axis of the mouse. If anyone asked, I always gave an example from aviation and how "inverting" is actually the natural way of controlling the game. Also if young gamers started playing flight simulators with joysticks before playing quake 1, it's pretty much no brainer to invert the Y.

Not sure why it's not a default on a drone controller, but omg, if it's not a default, just give it as an option. This thread has so many replies.. C`mon DJI
2021-4-7
Use props
djiuser_Bn30jEH9CsBu
New
Flight distance : 40728 ft
Romania

Yes I also want the feature to invert control of gimbal. It is really counterintuitive now. I cannot make a video right the first time. I have to think about the wheel. Every I want to pull up it goes down and the other way around.
2021-5-7
Use props
OlololHlololO
lvl.1
Netherlands

I can't beleve this is still not fixed.
2021-7-13
Use props
djiuser_nvKVtSQ8XXFW
New

United Kingdom

Please could we get an update to allow gimbal reversal in the software, it’s not set the natural way for me.
    It seems crazy not to give the option, when all the other controls are configurable. The gimbal has no safety concerns if it was reversed accidentally.

Regards

Richard
2021-9-5
Use props
TGM13
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_nvKVtSQ8XXFW Posted at 9-5 02:07
Please could we get an update to allow gimbal reversal in the software, it’s not set the natural way for me.
    It seems crazy not to give the option, when all the other controls are configurable. The gimbal has no safety concerns if it was reversed accidentally.

Still not fixed.

I tried to reverse the outside wires on my Mini 2 controller but all that happened was that it beeped at me continuously and the gimbal control did not work. I tried to calibrate it but that did nothing. I did notice that the 'signal' (green bar) for the potentiometer was skitter-y and did not want to go to 100% in either direction during calibration. Also, even though the wires were reversed a counter clockwise turn still registered to the software as being counter clockwise and vice versa. It may be that on the Mini 2 controller different wires need reversed?

I reverted the wires back to how they were and, after calibrating, have had no issues. Other than gimbaling up when I want to go down and down when I want to go up.

Slight rant below.
Also, as to DJI listening to anything we say when done through proper channels: I tried to fly in a restricted zone. I had all the requisite permissions, that I received within ~3 minutes of making the requests. I was perfectly legal. Then I realized I had to email DJI or use Online Unlocking or be grounded anyway . I figured 'Online? This should be easy and quick.' NO. It will not work on my phone for some ungodly reason. It will not work on my laptop for some ungodly reason. It will not work on my desktop for some ungodly reason. Great. Now to rush out an email and hope to get a response in a reasonable time frame. NOPE. I still, MONTHS later, have gotten no reply. I also put in a report to try and figure out why Online Unlocking did not work for me, at all. Again, MONTHS later, nothing. Not a peep.

Hoping that our urging them to fix something as simple as software gimbal reversal (let alone something more complex) is like pizzing into a hurricane. Nothing will happen and we'll be left with a sour taste in our mouths.
2021-9-24
Use props
mavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8196 ft
United Kingdom

HOW is this still not fixed? I get it wrong every single time.

Please, for crying out loud add a tiny boolean flag and save everyone this hassle.
2022-2-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Why is it so hard to understand? UP is UP, DOWN is DOWN!!
2022-2-13
Use props
djiuser_drZPK9YRKrhl
New

Belgium

It’s been five years guys and still no updates for this small change ? It will be always conter intuitive to learn this rotation just offer us the choice to use the drone as we please !  
2022-4-29
Use props
Sylvain-
lvl.2

Germany

also finding it very counter-intuitive. Can we please have a boolean to invert to direction of the pitch ?
2022-6-3
Use props
Bazerko
New

Canada

I just got the mini 3 pro.  

I move the gimbal the wrong direction, EVERY time.  It's so annoying that I sought a solution and found this thread.  After 5 years, they have not added an inversion?  omg.....
2022-7-4
Use props
djiuser_iadGW7rJ1UDQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65184 ft
Canada

Also got the mini 3 and I get the gimbal wrong everytime i touch it.

moreover, i really wish we could remap both sticks like we want instead of the presets and limited custom one- IE: i want the left stick to control forward / backwards / left / right and the right stick to control gimbal up / down and yaw.

Yup. This is a gaming controller scheme, b/c this is what feels natural to me.

And i am 43. So not exactly a "kid that should've started with flight simulators instead of quake 1" but i am indeed the demographic that played quake 1
... which I played with a keyboard and mouse ;)

2022-7-26
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I played Quake, Quake II, Unreal, Unreal tournament, Medal of Honor also with mouse and keyboard. I had zero problems with Mode 2 on the controller when I started flying a year and a half ago. And I'm 68
2022-7-26
Use props
Akinetopsia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65184 ft
Canada

Mobilehomer Posted at 7-26 18:16
I played Quake, Quake II, Unreal, Unreal tournament, Medal of Honor also with mouse and keyboard. I had zero problems with Mode 2 on the controller when I started flying a year and a half ago. And I'm 68

I'm in custom mode with the left stick as described and ascend/descend instead of what i wish could be the gimbal for the right stick.

I'll probably get used to it eventually but as i live in a no-fly zone b/c airports everywere i really wish i could customize the gimbal for the few times i can go out of town to fly instead of

>  ooooh that looks ni-- *aims at sky, ruins the shot*
2022-7-26
Use props
AntoFxfly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86496 ft
Italy

I was thinking of toring a software option to change the mode of operation, so many people would like to make it work in reverse from the default mode. I mistake a lot of videos too because I find that kind of movement unnatural, how we can change the stick movements should be the same for the remaining controls, DJI should listen more to customers' requests,

2022-8-1
Use props
gulfpre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2885656 ft
  • >>>
United States

Doubt it’ll make a difference, but I’d love the option to reverse the controls. Drives me nuts, still find myself going up instead of down & vice versa …
2022-8-24
Use props
jkremser
lvl.1
Spain

Pls add this option to invert the up and down. It ruined a lot of my videos so far. Or make the code open so that one can open a pull request, this is ridiculous that people have to re-wire the controller because of the lack of this feature.
2023-1-9
Use props
TGM13
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2022-9-16 21:03
I get it, dude. Every single time I want to turn on the car stereo I pull the hood release.  I've had to replace my hood a dozen times already!  Scary stuff when the hood folds over the windshield doing 75.

I would go with all your, outlandish, analogies...except they do not compute.

To make the analogy work you'd have to have, for years, the stereo switch where the hood latch is currently. So you now unconsciously reach for the the stereo switch in its old location and accidentally trigger the hood latch.

This is, for many of us, a long learned and unconscious thing. Push is down and pull is up. It is not that way for everyone. That's why video games have long had software controls reversal. Normally in both X and Y, separately. So you can set the controls to what feels natural to you and you do not need to fight yourself every time you try to do anything.

And that is all we're asking for here. A software switch that will reverse the direction the wheel moves the camera. We're not trying to force you to change what you like. Just trying to get the control to a usable state for the rest of us.
2023-1-30
Use props
TGM13
lvl.1
United States

Double post.
2023-1-30
Use props
djiuser_AylTCh6foGtk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 164646 ft
Germany

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-25 08:17
The moderators say the preferred way to make feature requests is via the DJI Go 4 app's feedback feature, under Me.

Till then, keep repeating the mantra/mnemonic: "Pull Down, Push Up."

Dji go 4 does not support mini !!
2023-2-19
Use props
Bernd F.
New

Germany

I'm a DOP from Germany. I often work with the camera on a tripod. What is the movement? I pull up to tilt down the cameraview! I push down to tilt up the front of the camera. Thats the way I do it since 20 years. Now I shell change my intuitive behaviour...
During corona we had many jobs with remote controled cameras from panasonic. It seems like a joke, but the remotecontrol also works like a DJI-gimbal. Pushing up is tilting up the camera. After one hour I was used to it. But some days later, I found the option to change the direction(panasonic menu) but it was to late. After several yours with the wrong control, I was already used to it. But my intuitive feeling ist still the other way!
2023-3-19
Use props
Bernd F.
New

Germany

What I would really prefer is a direct control like a servo. Pushing up a half, tilts the camera down a half. The controler would need to hold the position, not jump back to zero. So I could go directly to a tiltposition, slow or quick, just in the way I move the jog. The controler would mirror the tiltposition and not control the speed of the tiltservo. This would be really intuitive!
2023-3-19
Use props
Mecworks
lvl.1

United States

I definitely want a way to toggle the direction of the gimbal movement.  With RC planes, pushing forward moved the airplane down and back pulls it up.  That's just intuitive for me that the action of moving my finger away from my hand would move it down and pulling my finger back, towards my hand would move the gimble upwards.   I mess up the direction of the gimble movement almost every time I fly my Mavic 3 and would like a way to toggle the direction so that it is more intuitive to the way I am accustomed to how I think it should move.
2023-6-1
Use props
Corni
New
Switzerland

Hey there, it's been a while since this thread has started.

Is there allready a fix for this, because I also find it super counter intuitive.
2-28 00:04
Use props
EnjoyUrLifeTV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 122375 ft
Germany

So since 2019 people bring up the topic about inverting settings for the sticks or now me about the zooming in/out and gimbal up/down movement and DJI just doesn’t care. Incredible!
3-12 14:23
Use props
djiuser_yHPxrwJSLMaB
New
Germany

Please add? Its been 5 years?
I need this!
4-15 12:26
Use props
Dirty Bird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

It doesn't & there is no way to change it.  This request has been made for many years.  I don't care if DJI makes it an option but it just hasn't been a major issue.  My suggestion is get used to controlling the gimbal the way it is.
4-15 14:23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules