Follow Me Mode DOES NOT WORK (GPS Weak)
26551 76 2017-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3fc0857d
New
Slovakia

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-10 17:30
Went out today with .0800/4.1.0 at the same place I recorded my test video -- today the app reported strong GPS signal, but the feature didn't work at all this time -- Mavic stayed put and never tracked me. iPhone 7/ATT&T/iOS 10.3.2.

I Have same problem. I have iphone 6 and Iphone 7 also. The feature FM works correct on iphone 6. But when i use Iphone 7 , Mavic stay on same place.
2017-6-12
Use props
fans20fc5630
lvl.3
United States

I have exactly the same issue with Iphone 6. I can not update my home location to my phone and I can not use follow me. DJI support sucks as always, they told me send us the drone. Any help please???
2017-7-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fans20fc5630 Posted at 2017-7-2 18:55
I have exactly the same issue with Iphone 6. I can not update my home location to my phone and I can not use follow me. DJI support sucks as always, they told me send us the drone. Any help please???

Would you please upload a screenshot for phone system info?
Did you try other mobile devices to check the performance?
There is no need to send the drone in, I will forward your feedback to our engineers for a further evaluation once I hear from you about the info needed, thanks.
2017-7-3
Use props
fans20fc5630
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-3 01:13
Would you please upload a screenshot for phone system info?
Did you try other mobile devices to check the performance?
There is no need to send the drone in, I will forward your feedback to our engineers for a further evaluation once I hear from you about the info needed, thanks.

Thank you so much Natalia for your care:

I did some investigation today and finally I found the bug. GPS work perfectly with my Iphone 6 whenever I don't put a memory card in the drone. If I put the memory card that you guys sent to me with the drone, I get the "Weak GPS Signal" error whenever I try to update the home location to be my current location.  here is a screenshot for the error:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t0x04aych91q75/image1.PNG?dl=0

2017-7-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fans20fc5630 Posted at 2017-7-3 05:49
Thank you so much Natalia for your care:

I did some investigation today and finally I found the bug. GPS work perfectly with my Iphone 6 whenever I don't put a memory card in the drone. If I put the memory card that you guys sent to me with the drone, I get the "Weak GPS Signal" error whenever I try to update the home location to be my current location.  here is a screenshot for the error:

Thanks for the detailed info, I have reported it to the engineers.
2017-7-3
Use props
fans20fc5630
lvl.3
Canada

Hi Natalia, any updates from the engineers? It has been longtime!
2017-7-21
Use props
Svenmal
New
Australia

Here's my experience with this issue and could Dji please shed some light on why this occurs. I have the latest mavic and firmware etc and iPhone 5s.

I flew the mavic as normal and tried to reassign the home point to the controller. Instead of setting the home point to where tho controller is (blue dot in the picture) It now sets my home point further back on the track, most likely where I first started the go4 app. The phone gps is operating correctly and updating as I move but go4 is not following this location, it is stuck on where it originally started. If you kill the app and restart it, it finds your current location. This is probably why the follow me doesn't work. In saying that I found the follow me function to work sometimes but have also had the weak gps message.
2017-8-1
Use props
Svenmal
New
Australia

Svenmal Posted at 2017-8-1 19:42
Here's my experience with this issue and could Dji please shed some light on why this occurs. I have the latest mavic and firmware etc and iPhone 5s.

I flew the mavic as normal and tried to reassign the home point to the controller. Instead of setting the home point to where tho controller is (blue dot in the picture) It now sets my home point further back on the track, most likely where I first started the go4 app. The phone gps is operating correctly and updating as I move but go4 is not following this location, it is stuck on where it originally started. If you kill the app and restart it, it finds your current location. This is probably why the follow me doesn't work. In saying that I found the follow me function to work sometimes but have also had the weak gps message.

image.png Here's my experience with this issue and could Dji please shed some light on why this occurs. I have the latest mavic and firmware etc and iPhone 5s.

image.png
2017-8-1
Use props
Svenmal
New
Australia

Sorry but the second picture didn't upload, it shows the new home point further back on the track before the mavic was even switched on.
2017-8-1
Use props
Svenmal
New
Australia

Sorry but the second picture didn't upload, it shows the new home point further back on the track before the mavic was even switched on.
image.png
2017-8-1
Use props
fanse018402b
lvl.1
Turkey

I have the exact same problem. I have tried it both Sgs4 and Sgs7 edge and get the same result.This started not to work ehrn thry forced us to use dji go r app instead of dji go 3.xxx . It is probably a software error. And I am sure the more people try the follow me mode the more failure reports will come...
2017-8-15
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

I too had this issue with an iPad and an iPhone (that both were working fine with before) so I deleted and reinstalled dji go 4 and it's working normally again..
2017-8-15
Use props
ToXXuS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164344 ft
Ukraine

iPhone 7
iOS 11.0.2
Dji GO 4.1.12

iPhone 6+
iOS 10.3.3
Dji GO 4.1.12

Home "Point ME" didn't work because GPS Weak in Mobile device, but in "active track" all good - change homepoint perfect
2017-10-9
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Follow me works perfectly on Android (use location settings  to GPS only!!! on your phone)
2017-10-9
Use props
ToXXuS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164344 ft
Ukraine

fix by myself  - in phone settings reset compass real/magnetic
2017-10-14
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-10 17:30
Went out today with .0800/4.1.0 at the same place I recorded my test video -- today the app reported strong GPS signal, but the feature didn't work at all this time -- Mavic stayed put and never tracked me. iPhone 7/ATT&T/iOS 10.3.2.

So today I decided to test again the Follow Me function using my AT&T iPhone 7 with as-of-today the latest app version and firmware on iOS 11.0.3 at the same location as my previous tests, the first of which worked with some pauses, the second of which didn't work at all. Today it worked just fine -- strong signal with no tracking delays, though I did get an alert telling me I needed to be higher than 10m for the feature to work.

I still prefer Active Track since this mode keeps the camera on the tracked subject, but Follow Me works at higher altitudes, so could def be of some use. I'll continue testing at different locations and report back -- hopefully this is not a fluke.
2017-10-19
Use props
fans5693c944
New
United States

I'm having the same issue and DJI customer service is telling me to return the magic that has only 10 minutes flight time on it given I bought it for the specific reason for the "follow me" option. The 10 minutes is because I went to best buy and bought:
1. Samsung Tab S2 (doesn't work as described by others GPS issue)
2. IPad 4 mini non-cellular version (doesn't work as described by others GPS issue)
--Also tested--
3. Samsung Galaxy S7 (Verizon) (doesn't work as described by others GPS issue but I can get it to state GPS strong but it is a false reading given mavic doesn't move and times out with, GPS weak)
4. Asus Nexus 7 (doesn't work as described by others GPS issue)

Finally the only item rgat would make the "follow me" function work is a near $1000k IPhone 7.

I don't think I'll buy a thousand $$$$ device just to connect to the RC that will enable "follow me" function.

I think DJI may have a class action lawsuit coming if they don't publicly take responsibility of their premature launch and subsequent year thereafter of not admitting it or fixing the issue.

Can anyone tell me what you do to fix it or dis I buy "snake oil" from DJI?
2017-10-22
Use props
fans5693c944
New
United States

everything mentioned was updated to latest software and firmware if needed, including using DJI assistant via desktop computer cabled to mavic
2017-10-22
Use props
fans5693c944
New
United States

Different locations by miles and no power lines in sight
2017-10-22
Use props
djiuser_SfOebPb
New
United States

I have the same problem. I'm using a Samsung Note 5. I can't get DJ P4 to follow either. But if you walk away from it and reset the new home point to radio position it will come to you.
2017-11-18
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

You can set your location on your phone to GPS only. Thats the most accurate position .  Try that.
2017-11-19
Use props
QQQ
New

Thailand

Please Help , I cant use Follow Me mode .
2017-12-17
Use props
fansb0e0b732
New
Mexico

ToXXuS Posted at 2017-10-9 01:24
iPhone 7
iOS 11.0.2
Dji GO 4.1.12

Hi , could you please let me know how to setup "active Track" in Iphone.  Thks.
2018-1-22
Use props
Mohinder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 920489 ft
Belgium

I Have same problem. I have Ipad Mini 4 cellural. I can't change home point because GPS signal weak
2018-1-22
Use props
fanse342fc28
New
Flight distance : 617 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-22 08:50
Follow Me relies on the GPS in your phone/device. I, too, have had mixed results using this feature and am on an AT&T iPhone 7.

Active Track works brilliantly, though.

I took my Phantom 4 to the river yesterday, to try the "Follow Me" mode.  It also said, "weak GPS" signal.  What I don't understand is, how come, in the top left of my DJI program, it has a green bar that states my home point has been set, GPS active, yet when you go to follow me, it states the signal is weak.  On the river, there are no cell towers, power lines, etc.  I also think this has to do with my iPad mini reception.  The manual said I have up to a 3 mile range, yet I get 300 feet away, I will lose the video monitor in the display, and it will RTH.  The iPad mini is not set up with 4G.  Could this be a problem? When I fly near my home, within my wireless wifi adapter, I seem to have more features.  Does my Phantom require 4G when I'm away from my home.  The iPad mini I use, is not cellular ready.
2018-1-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

fanse342fc28 Posted at 2018-1-26 08:59
I took my Phantom 4 to the river yesterday, to try the "Follow Me" mode.  It also said, "weak GPS" signal.  What I don't understand is, how come, in the top left of my DJI program, it has a green bar that states my home point has been set, GPS active, yet when you go to follow me, it states the signal is weak.  On the river, there are no cell towers, power lines, etc.  I also think this has to do with my iPad mini reception.  The manual said I have up to a 3 mile range, yet I get 300 feet away, I will lose the video monitor in the display, and it will RTH.  The iPad mini is not set up with 4G.  Could this be a problem? When I fly near my home, within my wireless wifi adapter, I seem to have more features.  Does my Phantom require 4G when I'm away from my home.  The iPad mini I use, is not cellular ready.

You are confusing GPS on the aircraft with GPS on your display device. Most Go 4 features use the aircraft's GPS, but some, like Follow Me, look to location information on your display device.

If your iPad isn't a cellular model, it doesn't have a built-in GPS and gets location info via wifi triangulation if available, which isn't going to be accurate enough.

As for range, are you controlling the aircraft via WiFi or the remote's radio? The former has a very limited range, the latter a range in miles.
2018-1-26
Use props
fanse342fc28
New
Flight distance : 617 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-26 09:22
You are confusing GPS on the aircraft with GPS on your display device. Most Go 4 features use the aircraft's GPS, but some, like Follow Me, look to location information on your display device.

If your iPad isn't a cellular model, it doesn't have a built-in GPS and gets location info via wifi triangulation if available, which isn't going to be accurate enough.

Thank you for your reply.  I actually gave thought, that what your reply was, may have had something to do with it.  The iPad mini, was recommended when I bought the DJI, but not the fact it should be cellular capable.  Like you said, I eventually realized, there had to be 2 different GPS requirements, since the Phantom 4 was flying, with the RTH recorded, and a green bar saying GPS flight ready.  The only time I used "follow me", was at my house, where I not only have wifi, but a range extender.  I live on an acre, butted up to a river; this must be why my "follow me" worked there.  I will try with the cellular signal like you stated.  I have an iPhone 6S plus, but the display is too small for me to see it.  I'll either try to hotspot the mini, or try to use my iphone just to troubleshoot with  your solution.

One last question on range.  I have been into the settings, and see there is a lot of controls.  I actually had to use it to get my controller and drone to communicate to each other.  The DJI techs wanted me to send it back; glad I played around with it.  Do I physically have to connect my monitor device to the  cellular network, or will it auto connect?
2018-1-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

fanse342fc28 Posted at 2018-1-28 10:11
Thank you for your reply.  I actually gave thought, that what your reply was, may have had something to do with it.  The iPad mini, was recommended when I bought the DJI, but not the fact it should be cellular capable.  Like you said, I eventually realized, there had to be 2 different GPS requirements, since the Phantom 4 was flying, with the RTH recorded, and a green bar saying GPS flight ready.  The only time I used "follow me", was at my house, where I not only have wifi, but a range extender.  I live on an acre, butted up to a river; this must be why my "follow me" worked there.  I will try with the cellular signal like you stated.  I have an iPhone 6S plus, but the display is too small for me to see it.  I'll either try to hotspot the mini, or try to use my iphone just to troubleshoot with  your solution.

One last question on range.  I have been into the settings, and see there is a lot of controls.  I actually had to use it to get my controller and drone to communicate to each other.  The DJI techs wanted me to send it back; glad I played around with it.  Do I physically have to connect my monitor device to the  cellular network, or will it auto connect?

I'm not following your range question -- can you restate it?

As for cellular networks, if your iPhone 6+ has an active cellular plan, then it should automatically connect.

Using the iPhone 6+ as a hotpot for your iPad will allow the iPad to get a data connection so that maps will load, you can self-authorize in warning zones, etc., but I don't think you'll be able to use the iPhone's GPS since Go 4 is probably using the iOS API to directly retrieve location info. Guess you can try and let us know.
2018-1-28
Use props
djiuser_BJ8iHkelhMmI
lvl.1

Norway

I am using a Motorola 5G plus, set to GPS this device only and get message strong GPS signal, press the apply and mavic will not enter FM mode, just hover in place in GPS mode. I have multipel flight modes enabled, the lates firmware and the latest GO4 app. THE FOLLOW ME IS NOT WORKING WITH MAVIC PRO! WHY DOES NOT DJI FIX THIS? OR TELL CUSTOMERS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS?
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_BJ8iHkelhMmI
lvl.1

Norway

The only solution how to make FOLLOW ME to work was to download and pay for Litchi app. In Litchi app GPS follow me works flawlessly. DJI GO 4 app is no way to make GPS follow me to work.
2018-3-21
Use props
djiuser_BJ8iHkelhMmI
lvl.1

Norway

https://youtu.be/df-PHJyrFSA
2018-3-23
Use props
kdphoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

You know I so fing mad that these worthless drones never f work.  GPS is to weak, close to a no fly zone etc I'm going to fly this mf into a tree and get a GDU byde !  F you dji
2018-4-28
Use props
GlenC
lvl.1
Australia

Hi. Bit of a newbie here. I have this issue with an ipad mini 4 that I just purchased. Interestingly I also have a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone, and follow me and resetting home point to controller works perfectly on the samsung phone but gps too weak with the ipad.

I really need this to work, as I will be doing drone work from a boat doing some whale research and resetting the home point would be a critical thing if we loose contact with the drone.

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8inch but am loath to open the box in case they do not let me return it for a refund.
My friend tested his mavic pro with a galaxy s2 9'7 and it also got the weak signal gps error, whereas it had worked in the past, so he was quite surprised it now would not.

I still have a couple of days where I can return my Ipad Mini 4 but as I said, not sure if I should try the Galaxy S2, not sure which way to turn?

Has anyone any progress on this? It seems to have gone very quiet???
2018-5-29
Use props
Cindav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108140 ft
Australia

I have this same problem with my iPhone 7
2018-8-14
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

Experienced this too. Disappointed with the follow me,  really wished it was following the RC using the ocusync.  Today using a Samsung S9 latest firmware,  20 satellites!  And crystal clear skies.  Click follow me,  shows good,  apply then instantly nope. Sucks.  Don't want to worry that active track lost subjects and just have a direct connection for the drone to follow.  NEW MAVIC PRO 1, less than a month old.
2019-1-11
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

jreynolds5 Posted at 2017-3-22 04:00
I have used follow me and active track both and they worked flawless ly. It sounds to me you are somewhwere where you are gettiging a bad gps signal.

I'm having this problem.  In the app it shows full charge full bars and 20 satellites.... when I select follow me I see green strong gps, the 2nd after I apply/ begin to film and want to start moving it stops working. Galaxy S9 AT&T with new from the box one month old Mavic Pro 1. Disappointed this mode is not working with my setup.
2019-1-12
Use props
dmac1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31991 ft
United States

Well....me too on the DJI Go4 Follow Me not working. Samsung S6, 15 satellites, out in the country away from everything on a rural road with no wires, trees, towers or anything to interfere. I tried both GPS settings in my phone. Once the drone moved in a few short bursts when I was walking away from it, but otherwise, it just hovered. I repeatedly had strong GPS signal (it can't get much better than out there!) which would then magically go to  'weak' as soon as I initiated Follow-me, or it would initiate Follow-me, but never move. What a joke.

I also tried Litchi Follow mode, I can't say it was great, cuz it'd follow me for a ways on my dirt bike (down a dirt road) but sometimes it would stop, but it would pretty reliably launch and begin to follow. Possibly it would stop following because I didn't have the controller in Sport mode and it couldn't keep up.....not sure (max I rode was about 30 mph)  but when I'd come back to the drone, it would usually reconnect and resume following.  I haven't looked at the imagery yet, but I'm pretty sure its gonna be hit and miss.

The long and short of it is, I think my Mavic Pro sucks as a Follow-me drone. You can prolly get some footage from it, but likely you'll hafta re-ride whatever it is numerous times to hopefully have yourself in the frame on at least one of the tries. And ya won't know till ya get back home or to a computer.  
2019-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules