Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How much wind is too much wind?
2928 7 2017-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ml71
lvl.3
United States

There have been times I've flown on pretty calm days and get the high wind warning on the Mavic's controller.  Now obviously I can't tell what the wind is like 300' up and I know the wind can change in an instant, so I'm trying to determine how much wind the Mavic can handle.  What triggers the warning?  Is it 10 mph, 30 mph, ???  What do other people do when the warning sounds?  Do you land immediately or keep flying?  
2017-3-21
Use props
molyvos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74610 ft
Greece

DJI say 10 metres per second = 36 kph = 22.37 mph

If I am not flying far (return to home can be problematical) I use common sense (things like possible obstacles ,gust strenght, other dangers).

2017-3-21
Use props
Blucenturion
lvl.2
Flight distance : 362995 ft
United States

I must have exceeded that 22 mph today because I started going backwards and had to use sport mode to come back in   
2017-3-21
Use props
AliB
lvl.1
Flight distance : 517021 ft
United Kingdom

Yeh, that warning sometimes goes off in as little as 5-10mph. Pain in the arse really. Wish you could turn it off.

Today I did a facebook live stream and it was 25-30mph wind. As long as you are in sport mode its fine. Just make sure to fly upwind so if the wind does increase and you cant get back, then at least the mavic will get blown back towards you.

Gusty inland wind is another question though. Turbulent wind is ALOT worse than strong beach winds.
You'll see in this vid that I thought the wind had picked up because I couldn't get back upwind.. What had actually happened was before the stream I had done a test flight in sport mode. THen landed and replaced the battery to start the stream. I had left the sport switch engaged, but it ignors sport mode until you reset the switch. Lesson learnt

https://www.facebook.com/alicrai ... s/1891044321141854/
2017-3-22
Use props
IflewbyU2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same problem with these bothersome warnings on the P4P. I have been out on mornings so calm the weather app says 0 mph, and my Anemometer won't turn, then launched the P4P to just ten feet AGL, and there is that darn bothersome big message blocking 1/8th of the display, "too much high wind warning." So, the only wind that day was the wind the drone itself was generating. And yes, I think that may be the answer... they made wind sensors that can be triggered by the down draft of the aircraft itself! Just like the beeping proximity sensors can be set off by prop shadows (yes, this too is true). So DJI, I know you read this stuff; I ask a very small request... You allow us to shut off the obstacle proximity beeper, so please also allow us to shut off the high wind warning system. It is very flawed and defective as is, a big and constant DISTRACTION which is more likely to CAUSE A PROBLEM than to solve one. It literally goes off several times on every flight, regardless of actual wind conditions. Please, please, please, give us a preference button to shut it off completely!  Thanks!
2017-3-22
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too use common sense, I usually don't fly in winds higher then 15 to 18, and again, common sense, I will either continue or land it and come back another day.  It not worth loosing a $1,000 item because of high wind.  I agree that the high wind warning is a bit sensitive, but...common sense.
2017-3-22
Use props
Canes76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 818199 ft
  • >>>
United States

I traveled to a place this AM hoping to fly...gusts of 35-37 MPH...no thanks.  Not worth it putting it up in the air like that.
2017-3-22
Use props
IflewbyU2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would add to my earlier statement that the scrolling high wind messages across the top of the display are not a bother, because they don't block one's view. It is the pop-ups that get in the way of seeing where you are going that are dangerous and distracting. I never fly in extremely high winds, because the video gets shaky anyway if gusts are over say 14 Kt, but I also know that DJI's drones can fly in much higher winds because they are very capable flying machines. Just please, let us shut off the pop-up wind warnings! Thanks!
2017-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules