Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Upthedowns
lvl.3
Flight distance : 288353 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,
Could anybody provide some suggestions to avoid the problem shown in this clip.  Not the blue and white sign - that's to indicate a strange light coloured artefact that appears on this clip.  The clip was taken with the Olympus 12mm fitted with an Olympus lens hood.  It has a skylight filter and the lens and filter have been cleaned before the flight and were clean at the end.  You will see from the shadows of the trees that I am filming pointing away from the sun - almost 180 degrees away so we shouldn't be looking at lens flare here. I've got similar footage when the sun had moved around further to the west taken a few weeks ago) and the same thing has happened there (though I didn't notive it at the time).
I presume because it moves across the frame that it is not a localised fault on the sensor.

Other than the obvious little green men, has anybody got any suggestions on how to track this down or solve it?

Much appreciated.

2017-3-23
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Take the skylight filter off and try it again.  Cheap filters don't have much of a anti-reflective coating (Nano coating) on them as the expensive ones do.

However, since the sun is 180 degrees from the light spot and behind you, there are some illumination effects that are part of nature that show up at times.  I've seen them with the sun behind me and the shadow of the drone in the middle of it when closer to the ground.  Not much you can do to avoid it but to keep the sun off your back and to the sides.

Some of the bright spot info is here.  Take your pick:

Opposition effect mechanism.
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/atoptics/oppos2.htm

Heiligenschein mechanism
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/droplets/heilfrm.htm

Glory Mechanism
http://www.atoptics.co.uk/droplets/glofeat.htm

2017-3-23
Use props
Upthedowns
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many thanks,  will have a go without the filter and try the flight at a different time of day and see if it improves.

Fascinating but annoying effect
2017-3-23
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Indeed annoying but typical for certain lenses artifact when the camera is located on straight line between sun and target. Since the image is usually very unattractive in this situation due to the absence of shadows and contrasts, simply avoid such
2017-3-23
Use props
Insieme Agency
lvl.2
Flight distance : 420449 ft
Hungary

I had the same thing yesterday. It is the drone.
2017-3-26
Use props
Upthedowns
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you explain "in the drone". Where exactly in the production chain do you see it?  In the lens of the camera body?  If the body then where?  It can't be on the sensor as it moves across the frame...so where?  I used the same setup to film a residential area yesterday with the sun at more of a 90 degree angle and there is no sign of the issue.
2017-3-26
Use props
kecav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10641243 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

It's a reflection of the copter, therefore inspire 1 also produces the dark version. Inspire 2 is also dark.
2017-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules