Help?
2055 27 2015-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Hi Guys - I need help on this issue as I seem to keep getting the run around.

My issues are:

1. During the first 2-3 minutes of flight (everywhere I've flown) I get blinking red compass error on the status bar and drifting. I fly atti a lot so I am ready to compensate on drift. -- Now I've read by tahoe_ed that this is due to be fixed in the upcoming firmware update?

2. HD signal strength for video feed is extremley weak when I reach 1,200-1500 horizontal distance (not altitude). I get the warnings and 1-2 bars of strength. Other users are pushing their Inspires out almost a mile. Keep in mind I'm not looking to push these types of distances however I do feel I'm not able to take advantage of the range this craft is capable of.

I've tried both my iPad Air (V.1) + iPhone 6, same issues for both platforms.

Please help!

Thank you,

Scott

2015-2-25
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Hi Scooter,
I have no problems with my Ipad air (wifi only)

Try to switch on airplane mode on yr device.
Maybe thats the culprit.
2015-2-26
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Scooter i believe that is a firmware/app bug  and is reproducible ....i am scratching my head for same issue....for now ATT flight is only safe alternative
2015-2-26
Use props
Embelish
lvl.2

United States

I also experience the weak HD signal at approx 1,300 ft distance and no more than 100-150 ft altitude. Is that normal then?
2015-2-26
Use props
henon
lvl.3

France

today at 3500 feet , 150 feet high , not one video freeze with an ipad air2 ,
13 flights and never gps loss
2015-2-26
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

dundee Posted at 2015-2-26 16:21
Hi Scooter,

Hey Dundee - I always switch to airplane mode prior to takeoff after I have loaded map at my location (I have the cellular capable iPad Air Version 1)

2015-2-26
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

Embelish Posted at 2015-2-27 00:25
I also experience the weak HD signal at approx 1,300 ft distance and no more than 100-150 ft altitud ...

Not according to DJI and other posters who are reporting distances without interruption. Something isn't right...
2015-2-26
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-2-27 01:08
Not according to DJI and other posters who are reporting distances without interruption. Something ...

Are you selecting a channel or letting the Auto feature do it?
2015-2-26
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should have some else look at you while you are holding the controller.  In most instances, antenna direction causes the lack of distance.  Remember, the antennas should be perpendicular to the inspire, not perpendicular to the ground.
2015-2-26
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

method007 Posted at 2015-2-27 08:45
You should have some else look at you while you are holding the controller.  In most instances, ante ...

I have my antennas slightly facing up and outwards like rabbit ears.  Like this: "  \   /  " I always face the direction of the Inspire.

I know what perpendicular means however trying to figure out what that looks like in relation to this scenario. Antennas straight up?
2015-2-26
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-2-27 05:13
Are you selecting a channel or letting the Auto feature do it?

Auto feature. Selecting a channel has never worked for me as the channels never seem stronger than one another. They bounce from green to red so I don't feel comfortable choosing one manually.
2015-2-26
Use props
kevinlutch
lvl.1

Canada

If you are flying over a built up area, houses and buildings, most probably this would affect your range. Magnetic fields, powerlines, other repeaters and transmitters like cell phone towers etc would havens effect.
2015-2-26
Use props
ulrick
lvl.1
United States

Scooter, your antennas should be parallel like this "| |", and from what I've read, the flat part of the antenna blades should be perpendicular to the aircraft.
2015-2-27
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

ulrick Posted at 2015-2-27 23:25
Scooter, your antennas should be parallel like this "| |", and from what I've read, the flat part of ...

Thanks Mate - So tips point to the sky at a 90 degree parallel from one another?
2015-2-27
Use props
ulrick
lvl.1
United States

Yes, that sounds correct.

Just to recap, if you were to connect a straight line from the inspire (flying around up in the air) to the antennas, it should be perpendicular to the antenna (lengthwise), and the flat part of the antennas pointed towards the craft.  

Hope that helps.
2015-2-27
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

ulrick Posted at 2015-2-28 02:58
Yes, that sounds correct.

Just to recap, if you were to connect a straight line from the inspire (f ...

Thank you - didn't realize they were that sensitive. I'll test tomorrow.
2015-2-27
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

All this time i've had my antennas pointed at the bird. Several flights of just over 1km at over 100m and no problems. Maybe i've just been lucky?
I guess one way to tell is move the antennas when you get a problem to see which direction best fixes it.
2015-3-11
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-2-27 08:57
Auto feature. Selecting a channel has never worked for me as the channels never seem stronger than ...

I have been following because I also have this issue. have you tried taking it out of auto yet? I was afraid to do it at first so I waited and put up with the signal loss... I finally switched auto off and like you most of my lines were barely visible above the bottom line and kept changing from green to red...I found the tallest green one I could and chose that channel... Even tho it appears from the graph to be weaker than the auto channel I am not getting any drop out.....
2015-3-11
Use props
stevenstringer
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Hi Scooterlam

Good thread, I have been having the same problem. I have only had the inspire for a couple of weeks so only taken out a few times, but i was expecting it to go further then i does before it flashes bad RC signal.  (Have not had a go at choosing a custom channel yet, all looks a bit confusing!)
On the last flight i did notice that the inspire did drift to left slightly when hovering too.  Need to test again to see how bad it is.
I have been using a new iPad mini 3 but returned it the other day because i came to the conclusion from others on the forum and talking to Dji live chat support that really the pilot app is opitmized for the A8 chip.  So may get the iPad Air 2 or up grade my phone to iPhone 6.  What are peoples thoughts on using the iPad air 2? Does it not feel i bit big??
2015-3-12
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

dundee Posted at 2015-2-26 16:21
Hi Scooter,

True, it does make a big difference. I found that with my Phantom. By using "Airplane Mode" I more than doubled my distance. I also fly Cell Towers for Inspection while they are in use and active and have never had a problem and I am literally within inches of the Antennas.
2015-3-12
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Embelish Posted at 2015-2-27 00:25
I also experience the weak HD signal at approx 1,300 ft distance and no more than 100-150 ft altitud ...

Try Dundee's suggestion and see what happens?
2015-3-12
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

scooterlam Posted at 2015-2-27 08:56
I have my antennas slightly facing up and outwards like rabbit ears.  Like this: "  \   /  " I alw ...

To Scooterlam : Look at this test.

2015-3-12
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

Scooter,

Try this.
I don't know if will address any of your problems but after I calibrate the compass and take off I go to about 20', bring my gear up, and do a couple really slow 360's in place. I make this part of my pre-flight on each session.

I read someplace (can't remember where) that this helps the GPS lock on. I have no idea if this is true. It's just something I do each flight (because it takes little time) and don't seem to have GPS problems. Maybe this is not true and just over-kill. You decide.
2015-3-12
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

dundee Posted at 2015-3-12 21:31
To Scooterlam : Look at this test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPQxflfQiE

Just to be safe, I'll stick with the DJI guidelines on this.
2015-3-12
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

Hey scooter,

I experienced these type of problems before the latest firmware and have had really strong GPS, RC, and Image transmission signals ever since.

Before, I would lose it around 800 ft distance and 200 ft altitude, which irritated me, but I never used long distance shots so it wasn't horrible. But like you said, I felt it hindered me from really utilizing it's capabilities.

Maybe a compass calibration before ever flight and IMU calibration every 3-5 flights? (not including battery changes)
I experienced signal problems which were fixed with the IMU calibration, so that may help.
And a fully charged RC is always helpful.

Best of luck!
2015-3-12
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

This may sound juvenile, but some of you guys have cell enabled pads and you turn on airplane mode, are the guys with wifi versions remembering to turn off their wifi? Because I'll be honest here... I just realized every flight I've had my wifi was still on in my IPad.
2015-3-12
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-13 00:05
This may sound juvenile, but some of you guys have cell enabled pads and you turn on airplane mode,  ...

Thank You Dangair!

I hadn't even thought about the necessity of turning off my WIFI.

Again, Thanks a Bunch!
2015-3-12
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I don't know if it really matters if they are not on the same frequency or a harmonic resonant frequency but you never know. Anyway, I'm gonna remember to turn it off after I've cashed my map
2015-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules