Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Just starting out with Litchi
2458 21 2017-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy M
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292297 ft
United Kingdom

I recently downloaded the Litchi app and the weather hasn't been great but i've managed a couple of short flights so far with my P3S.
Im still taking baby steps at the moment but being able to plan shots in the Litchi Mission Hub and then putting them into action is great.

2017-3-23
Use props
kurdish123
lvl.1

Sweden

How is to fly in restricted area now i have problem with dji in kurdistan iraq it says always
restricted area well this app work for me
2017-3-23
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

Seems like those flights went great. Now time to plan some longer ones with extra movements/waypoints built in!
2017-3-23
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

I used Litchi for the first time when DJI Go 3.1.2 was a major issue. I have not used the Go app since, I have done a few waypoint missions, and like you say, having the comfort of an armchair and central heating to spend time planning the mission before venturing out into the cold to fly it is a great selling point for me. Flight by flight I am using the features in Litchi, mainly at 3 time height so that I can clearly see how they operate and keep my investment safe until I am sure of what I am doing.
2017-3-24
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
United Kingdom

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-3-24 11:05
I used Litchi for the first time when DJI Go 3.1.2 was a major issue. I have not used the Go app since, I have done a few waypoint missions, and like you say, having the comfort of an armchair and central heating to spend time planning the mission before venturing out into the cold to fly it is a great selling point for me. Flight by flight I am using the features in Litchi, mainly at 3 time height so that I can clearly see how they operate and keep my investment safe until I am sure of what I am doing.

I've also noticed that I don't get the "Strong Interference" message with Litchi that seems frequent with the Dji Go app with the P3S.
2017-3-24
Use props
kurdish123
lvl.1

Sweden

Can you fly evrywere in restricted area???
2017-3-24
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

#Quick Reply Here#That is some really nice stuff Andy. My P3S will be here next week and I'm really looking forward to flying it. It looks like you would recommend the Litchi app. I didn't realize you could set up your flights and movements pre-flight in the comfort of your home with this app. I was wondering what editing software you are using and where you grab your music from?
2017-3-24
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ice Viper Posted at 2017-3-24 13:12
#Quick Reply Here#That is some really nice stuff Andy. My P3S will be here next week and I'm really looking forward to flying it. It looks like you would recommend the Litchi app. I didn't realize you could set up your flights and movements pre-flight in the comfort of your home with this app. I was wondering what editing software you are using and where you grab your music from?

Hello Ice Viper, thanks for your comment.
My videos are all pretty raw at the moment.
I only trimmed the video down slightly and the music is all done in the YouTube video editor.
To be honest if I knew how to use a decent video editing software I would be able to colour correct, enhance and make corrections for under and over exposure. Which should improve the end result.
Hopefully my future videos will get better though.
And yes Litchi is great.

2017-3-25
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I've been out again this morning with the P3S filming a castle and a church ruin, both in my local area.
I was out for only an hour as the missions had already been pre-planned in the Litchi Mission Hub.
I was back home after for coffee and breakfast.

2017-3-25
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

Raw or not...that's some cool stuff Andy. I'm going to get the Litchi app and see what I can learn about flight set up before my P3S arrives this coming week. Any tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Keep the videos coming.
2017-3-25
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ice Viper Posted at 2017-3-25 05:46
Raw or not...that's some cool stuff Andy. I'm going to get the Litchi app and see what I can learn about flight set up before my P3S arrives this coming week. Any tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Keep the videos coming.

My advice would be to watch as many YouTube videos on learning how to fly your new P3S as possible.
Reading the Dji instruction manual is essential and reading through this forum and asking questions.
Definitely study how to take off, land and how to return to home both using the app and manually with the remote.
Get to know any local laws and regulations regarding flying drones.
I would recommend after doing all that go out to a quiet wide open space to start flying in GPS mode.
Stay safe and have fun.
2017-3-25
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ice Viper Posted at 2017-3-25 05:46

Great advice from Andy. Also download the manual, don't just browse over it but actually take in what it says. I did the "yep, I've read it" bit and was out flying Course Hold and Orbit missions and forgot 1/2 of what functions is in the manual because I just browsed over the section. Fly 2x higher than the highest obstacle while working it all out then bring it down to a sensible height for great shots once you are totally happy.
oh yea, be confident in your P3 it is a stable and great piece of hardware. If you get into trouble; flick your S1 switch to it's upper position, take your fingers off the sticks (it will stay where it is, don't worry). Compose yourself and make deliberate movements to get your P3 back to you or out of any perceived danger. Use your screen to determine any orientation issues you may have, the icons will tell you which way it is pointing in relation to your controller if you can't see the lights or you get a bit confused. Best of all, it is so much fun.
2017-3-25
Use props
Ice Viper
lvl.1
United States

Thanks to both of you. Weather is getting nicer this week so I can't wait to get my P3S.
2017-3-26
Use props
Akstrat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9557 ft
United States

New to the game, but I have a question.  I recently started flying a P3 4K and am interested in the Litchi app.  I have a iPad Mini 2 I use as a controller.  Will I be able to load a mission at home with internet and take the P3 out in the woods and fly missions without internet access in the field?
2017-3-27
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Akstrat Posted at 2017-3-27 04:59
New to the game, but I have a question.  I recently started flying a P3 4K and am interested in the Litchi app.  I have a iPad Mini 2 I use as a controller.  Will I be able to load a mission at home with internet and take the P3 out in the woods and fly missions without internet access in the field?

Yes, Litchi will allow you to do that.
2017-3-27
Use props
Akstrat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9557 ft
United States

Super!  Thanks!
2017-3-27
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes you can. But be aware of the location you are going to be flying the mission at. Make sure all obstacles and the ground, in relation to your take off point, are below the height you chose for each way point.  Plan your 'focus points' and plot them in the mission so the camera is looking at what it is you wish to focus on in the flight. There are so many options that you may not get it right first time, but the missions are easy and quick to edit at the location if you need to.
2017-3-27
Use props
EdM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Akstrat Posted at 2017-3-27 04:59

Before taking it out in the woods so to speak find a nice open area without many obstructions.   Preplan the mission before leaving home as a simple box.   Does not have to be big, couple hundred feet on each leg.   save it.    Modify the box to use curved corners.   save it using a different name.     Modify the box to add points of interest and change them at each waypoint.  save it using a different name.   Keep modifying the box with different features.
What you will accomplish is learning the ins and outs of Litchi on short missions while it is in plain sight.  You might also want to abort a couple of the missions just for practice.  
2017-3-27
Use props
JackA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

ProShow Gold is one video editor that allows color, saturation and other corrections to be made.  It is also easy to use.
2017-3-27
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I just tried Litchi out yesterday for the first time.  At least it's usable and doesn't crash every 8 minutes like the DJI apps do.  So I'm pleased with it so far.

But it  seems to be missing a couple things which I really miss:  No vertical speed displayed.  Also the radar altimeter reading is never displayed like it is when flying low in DJI Go.  Front obstacle distance is just shown as an easy-to-miss number at the top.

I don't know what that silly radar thing in the lower left corner is supposed to do.  It doesn't work like DJI's does on my device, and the direction the arrow points makes no sense to me.  I don't believe I have a compass on my tablet though; that might have something to do with it.  I like how DJI's works, and how it also shows the bank angle.
2017-3-27
Use props
Altitude Jockey
lvl.1
United States

EdM Posted at 2017-3-27 06:48
Before taking it out in the woods so to speak find a nice open area without many obstructions.   Preplan the mission before leaving home as a simple box.   Does not have to be big, couple hundred feet on each leg.   save it.    Modify the box to use curved corners.   save it using a different name.     Modify the box to add points of interest and change them at each waypoint.  save it using a different name.   Keep modifying the box with different features.
What you will accomplish is learning the ins and outs of Litchi on short missions while it is in plain sight.  You might also want to abort a couple of the missions just for practice.

EdM - you've laid out some really good exercises for strengthening one's familiarity with the app and the aircraft.  I've been casually looking for other exercises to strengthen my flying skills, but haven't spotted anything.  Is there a place on this site (or another) with recommended exercises/drills?

Thank you.
2017-3-27
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

Try phantomfilmschool.com  

Laurence has several video classes that cover most of our interesting topics.
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules