770 5 2017-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Hi Folks,

Fairly new to all this but I have just got my hands on the new Inspire 2 with X5S camera after a year of dreaming

Do any of you care to share a few words of advice for happy flying & filming?

Its out the box, & Ive flown it round the garden following the updates etc. I wasnt getting any view from the X5S @ first but ive re installed the app which has sorted that
(had a similar issue with my P4P once) Screen is quite a bit out of focus though but the FPV camera is clear?

Reading the manual & tutorials might help though but you know what its like

Many thanks,

Jackson
2017-3-23
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

1st tip then... focus the camera ;)

Unlike the Phantoms or the X4S which have a fixed focus, the X5S is more like a DSLR (proper camera!) and needs to be focused. If you lightly tap the screen it should put a green square around the pint you tapped and focus at that point. If it puts a yellow circle, then you need to find the yellow (exposure lock) bit in the upper right of the app screen and tap it to change it to the green square (focus).

2017-3-23
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Thank you Nick! Love the user name by the way
With the weekend nearly upon us I'm hoping to sneak away from my wife & 2 young kids for a few hours & dabble with it.
I will post some of my short videos up & introduce myself again to the group in order to give people an idea of where I'm at.
Thanks again for your response & advice

Jacko
2017-3-23
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

The main learning step for you will be how to use the yaw mode on the camera and to co-ordinate front camera / free vs. follow controls when controlling camera yaw.  Yawing in free mode can be disorienting  because if you only look at the X5S image, you will have no idea where the craft is pointing / heading.

As the Inspire 2 has no rear collision avoidance, get used to the above and fly forward all the time. Its hard to describe but the way you get complex shots is different compared to on a P4P if you use the free mode.  

Other than that, its a lovely craft to fly.

You have far more photo and video options. Take time to learn them
2017-3-24
Use props
hfrancis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26247 ft
United States

Number one tip:

Be aware that if the Inspire 2 gets within 20m of you* while flying low  it will automatically enter landing mode, it will turn off all collision avoidance, and lower the legs. It will stay in this mode even if you hadn't noticed this (because you were adjusting the camera settings) and then send it a long way down a field.

I found this out to my cost. I tried to film a shot as the drone flew back at a constant height low across the field towards me and it just clipped the ground and flipped (the field slopes slightly uphill and without collision avoidance it just kept at a constant altitude, not height above the ground).

So best not to fly low, even over an empty field, just in case! That was seven weeks ago and DJI still hasn't sorted it out properly (even with DJI Care Refresh) very sad

Note to DJI: please add a continuous audible warning on the remote when in landing mode, and secondly automatically come out of landing mode when the drone is moving fast a long way away!

*well the home point which is typically a similar location to you!
2017-3-24
Use props
hfrancis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26247 ft
United States

Tip number two is that the default camera controls seem (to me) to be too sensitive (yaw, pitch, etc). If you move the camera gimbal while recording with the default settings, and then play it back on a big TV, the video will be very unpleasant, like the camera has suddenly snapped around.

There are settings to control the sensitivity of the camera movement in the app, so slow down a little both the acceleration (and deceleration) of the movement and also the maximum speed it can rotate once it gets up to speed.
2017-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules