[Poll] Have you ever had issues flying over water?
6465 57 2017-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

FredAstra Posted at 2017-8-28 07:11
Photo from 'find my Phantom' :-(

OUCH... (and LOL)....   I HATE the idea of losing my drone in the water, and I'm sorry for your loss.  That said, the image plays as darkly funny.

Question... what application are you using that shows your drones location?
Sorry buddy, that sux.
Matt
2017-8-28
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-28 07:22
I have a terrible issue flying over water.

I'm always having too much fun!  

Dirty Bird... where do you live?  I want to move there.  You have an amazingly cool location to shoot some impressive footage.
2017-8-28
Use props
FredAstra
Second Officer
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-28 07:21
OUCH... (and LOL)....   I HATE the idea of losing my drone in the water, and I'm sorry for your loss.  That said, the image plays as darkly funny.

Question... what application are you using that shows your drones location?

Phantom of the Lake

Phantom of the Lake

Image as provided with 'find my phantom' in the App :-(
2017-8-28
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-29 16:58
Baltimore, but you'll need to invest in some Kevlar clothing.  I always say "The only safe way to visit Baltimore is by drone!"

Baltimore?  Did... Not... See... That... Coming.
Best of luck.  Keep your head down and the lights off.
2017-8-29
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

I voted that I'm too scared to try

But, after casting my vote I began to think, and for me being scared to fly over water is completely irrational. The main reason for that is that, unless I am practicing, I'm flying my drone over dense and tropical rainforest. And before people say "no big deal, just walk to near where it crashed" this isn't entirely practical because the geology of the area is fairly extreme: steep ravines and canyons formed by (long ago) volcanic flows. The different types of rock deposited by the long extinct volcanoes erode differently so there are very deep chasms, terraces that lead nowhere and all sorts of stuff like that. It's not uncommon to be unable to walk 200m without climbing gear and experience. This is ignoring the large trees of the tropical rainforest. If the drone crashed it'd most likely be in some insane location that might take weeks to get to (even if it's less than 1km away) or it'd be perched high in the canopy. If the drone decided to just drop out of the sky it would land in one of these areas or, if lucky, hurtle downwards and land in an area free from trees but covered with sharp, hard and unforgiving rocks. I doubt if that happened that the drone would be in any better condition than if it landed in water; more likely it'd be in a million pieces if I even managed to reach the crash site. So, yeah, I don't know why I'm afraid of water.
2017-8-30
Use props
Xian Onemanshow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5384334 ft
France

Hello
It  would be great to post the distance between the water and your AC too .

I never had any issues as well and i  fly LOW  ( the lowest is 70centimeters above the water ) .

2017-8-30
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-8-30 06:43
I voted that I'm too scared to try

But, after casting my vote I began to think, and for me being scared to fly over water is completely irrational. The main reason for that is that, unless I am practicing, I'm flying my drone over dense and tropical rainforest. And before people say "no big deal, just walk to near where it crashed" this isn't entirely practical because the geology of the area is fairly extreme: steep ravines and canyons formed by (long ago) volcanic flows. The different types of rock deposited by the long extinct volcanoes erode differently so there are very deep chasms, terraces that lead nowhere and all sorts of stuff like that. It's not uncommon to be unable to walk 200m without climbing gear and experience. This is ignoring the large trees of the tropical rainforest. If the drone crashed it'd most likely be in some insane location that might take weeks to get to (even if it's less than 1km away) or it'd be perched high in the canopy. If the drone decided to just drop out of the sky it would land in one of these areas or, if lucky, hurtle downwards and land in an area free from trees but covered with sharp, hard and unforgiving rocks. I doubt if that happened that the drone would be in any better condition than if it landed in water; more likely it'd be in a million pieces if I even managed to reach the crash site. So, yeah, I don't know why I'm afraid of water.

Not irrational at all. Your fear could be based on the (less) likeliness of locating your aircraft if you do have a crash into the water. When flying over land, there is a greater level of comfort in knowing you might find a potential crash site. I believe most of us share your fear, even if just slightly.
2017-9-1
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over water 98% of the time with never having a problem... Here is a recent video.

5-8 feet off the water in Atti mode around 63 mph

2017-9-1
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

scared ,my wife might not buy me a new bird.
2017-10-6
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, supreme shot there !     
2017-10-19
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly over water most of the time. Longest round trip was 6.2 miles over water; zero issues whatsoever.  
2017-10-19
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can be a little nerve racking, but seems to work well.  I did a light house over the summer and it was about 3200 feet from shore.  An hour or so later the color returned to my knuckles...
2017-10-19
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-29 16:58
Baltimore, but you'll need to invest in some Kevlar clothing.  I always say "The only safe way to visit Baltimore is by drone!"

Is that an invite?

I love the videos you do and if you watch all of them you get a good recognition of some areas which look pretty nice.  Morning passage still one of my favourites along with follow the leader.
2017-10-19
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42619744 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-10-19 09:09
Wow, supreme shot there !

Thank you M.C. Pilot.
2017-10-20
Use props
jmaurophoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 440758 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew my Phantom 3 Pro over the ocean at Myrtle Beach this summer without a problem. I flew about 15' over the water.
2017-10-21
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Fly over water many times, here is a clip of a shark approach while watching some surfers.

2017-10-22
Use props
djiuser_YyDMf0V8bjrf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359619 ft
United States

-------> HELP# <-------
Hi, Good morning!

I always fly over the bay waters. The only area that is clear of tall buildings where I live.

Is there a way to set a " LOW ALTITUDE WARNING" on the Mavic air 2 or any other Mavic drone?

I get very distracted and lost altitude moving the left joystick, not trying to lower the altitude but rotating it. Sometimes I forget to look at the altitude for a long time.

A "LOW ALTITUDE or TERRAIN  WARNING" would be life-saving:
The idea is to increase altitude if I get below 5 or 10 meters without realizing I did. To prevent getting submerged in the water.
I can't believe there are so many warnings except a low-altitude one. All commercial airplanes have several "LOW TERRAIN WARNINGS" at different altitudes.

Could you please; contact DJI engineers and bring the idea? I am still a novice, and I am even learning to speak English. I dont know how to do it by myself.

The warning will bring more safety and less stress to the flying experience. A very substantial safety improvement for everybody.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Lesmex F
2021-6-8
Use props
djiuser_YyDMf0V8bjrf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359619 ft
United States

stalker Posted at 2017-3-24 03:48
My first Phantom (1.1.1) took a dive and now I'm too scared to try...

-------> HELP# <-------

Hi, Good morning!

I always fly over the bay waters. The only area that is clear of tall buildings where I live.  Is there a way to set a " LOW ALTITUDE WARNING" on the Mavic air 2 or any other Mavic drone?

I get very distracted and lost altitude moving the left joystick, not trying to lower the altitude but rotating it. Sometimes I forget to look at the altitude for a long time.

A "LOW ALTITUDE or Terrain  WARNING" would be life-saving: The idea is to increase altitude if I get below 5 or 10 meters without realizing I did. To prevent getting submerged in the water.

I can't believe there are so many warnings except a low-altitude one. All commercial airplanes have several "LOW TERRAIN WARNINGS" at different altitudes.

Could you please; contact DJI engineers and bring the idea? I am still a novice, and I am even learning to speak English. I dont know how to do it by myself.

The warning will bring more safety and joy to the flying experience and would be a very substantial safety improvement for everybody.

Sincerely,
Lesmex F
2021-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules