Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
39658 585 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Now is definately the time to get out cause p4 prices are gonna be dropping like a brick. Kinda like beta tested p4's, a brick! Thats a shame. I got mine 3 months ago and its obsolete and unsupported already. My resale value dropped faster than a first generation Kia. Looks like DJI products are radioactive. Its cool for a minute but you better get the heck out quick or your screwed.
2017-6-22
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-6-22 10:28
we received our Yuneec H920 and CGO4 camera.  Slick piece of gear and great customer support during purchase.

Anyone in the GTA wanna buy a mint condition P4 with the beta firmware and 5 batteries?

Good luck, read the third comment this reviewer posted....

"This was our initial review.  The H920 later fell out of the sky for no reason completely destroying it and new CGO4 Camera.  We don't use Yuneec anymore.."
2017-6-22
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-22 10:45
Good luck, read the third comment this reviewer posted.... This

"This was our initial review.  The H920 later fell out of the sky for no reason completely destroying it and new CGO4 Camera.  We don't use Yuneec anymore.."

And... that's never happened with a DJI drone?  If a single crash review disqualifies purchase than the only option available to you is a paper airplane.

Anecdotal reviews aren't part of my purchase criteria.  If there was a chronic problem there would be posts about it.  Have you any experience with yuneec products?
https://yuneec-forum.com/forums/h920-hexacopter.9/

2017-6-22
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-6-22 11:20
And... that's never happened with a DJI drone?  If a single crash review disqualifies purchase than the only option available to you is a paper airplane.

Anecdotal reviews aren't part of my purchase criteria.  If there was a chronic problem there would be posts about it.  Have you any experience with yuneec products?

"Have you any experience with yuneec products?"

No I do not. But their forum reading doesn't look too unfamiliar.....https://yuneec-forum.com/threads/yuneec-h920-disappointment.6070/

It's designed for the professional marketplace, the P4 is not.

Judging by the size and price of the 920 it wouldn't fit the criteria of most hobbyists,  and specification wise certainly not mine.

2017-6-22
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-6-21 14:00
Imho, I do believe there is a cultural issue going on with DJI.  The Chinese are a very proud race and as such do not respond well to shame or criticism. This might explain the silence from the moderators when a problem arises.  I do think the DJI make excellent and exciting products but they are a young company and need to adapt to the international markets they serve.  It would do them well to learn how  to provide honest communications to customers  and issue the occasional apology when something goes unexpectedly wrong.

This thread has needlessly gone way out of control.

I don't know any country that isn't proud and doesn't respond well to shame and criticism. Vitriol is a generally a poor way to get results.

I agree, this thread has gotten out of control. I'd like firmware as much as the next guy, but the many ham-fisted posts aren't helping. I'm also a realist. My P4 functions as advertised, anything else is a bonus. I didn't purchase it under the assumption more features would be added. This is a fast-moving area of technology, obsolescence is inherently just around the corner.

I do think the situation with the beta testers not having a path back to mainline is bad, but that's a separate issue.
2017-6-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

microlinux Posted at 2017-6-22 16:29
I don't know any country that isn't proud and doesn't respond well to shame and criticism. Vitriol is a generally a poor way to get results.

I agree, this thread has gotten out of control. I'd like firmware as much as the next guy, but the many ham-fisted posts aren't helping. I'm also a realist. My P4 functions as advertised, anything else is a bonus. I didn't purchase it under the assumption more features would be added. This is a fast-moving area of technology, obsolescence is inherently just around the corner.

Hi. I have to agree on the value of this thread - I think that some of the posts now have too much attitude and the point is made, but the question is how to continue to impress on DJI that a firmware is required - even if the last? I'd like to believe there's no need, as we've heard again that it'll happen - just with no ETA (i.e. when DJI have capacity to retrofit relevant P4P/P4A updates for a legacy craft - like the horizon fix).

I'm one of the beta testers referenced, and I have both a P4 and a P4P. I'd like an updated firmware to move my P4 off  beta to an 'official' level, and to achieve alignment with battery firmware (I currently need to keep two batteries aside for the P4, and two aside for the P4P - battery firmware was at the same level at the time of the beta test in January). I don't think I'm expecting anything unreasonable...
2017-6-22
Use props
Pakawan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7264 ft
Thailand

Vincent D Posted at 2017-6-22 06:39
This is amazing. I'm not even a beta tester, but have been following the thread intently.  I have purchased 4  DJI drones in the last year and half; P3 Standard, P3 ADV, P3 Pro and a P4. Not to mention countless accesories and parts. I was ready to sell the P4 and purchase an inspire, but with this total lack of support not to mention the commication or lack there of, I will never purchase another DJI product again unless someone tells these poor folks something soon.

I'm too. I bought P4 in December 2016, I will never purchase another DJI product again.
2017-6-22
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder if we have moved up the firmware queue as yet, I see there is new firmware for the P3S & P3-4k released earlier today.
2017-6-23
Use props
Dovivan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

microlinux Posted at 2017-6-22 16:29

its not only about betatesters, Lastest official RC firmware (1.8) isnt good.

I bought original DJI HDMI modul for 109 euros and i cant use them, becouse lastes firmware has problem with this HDMI modul. (main screen is totaly destruct and cant fly.)

Tis situation is from november 2016 without change. DJI simply ignore this problem becouse many users dont use HDMI. . is this about chinese culture? I think no. it is about company culture.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-86132-1-1.html

http://forum.dji.com/thread-91322-1-1.html

2017-6-23
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Dovivan Posted at 2017-6-23 04:57
its not only about betatesters, Lastest official RC firmware (1.8) isnt good.

I bought original DJI HDMI modul for 109 euros and i cant use them, becouse lastes firmware has problem with this HDMI modul. (main screen is totaly destruct and cant fly.)

Look into a product called Mirascreen. Its $12 on ebay and it will send the audio and video from your mobile device to any hdmi input and you still get to see the flight data. Its a super easy solution to not having a video output. It uses airplay via built in wifi to the dongle so its just like pluging in an hdmi cable. It works with android or ios.
2017-6-23
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

And Mavic has yet another Firmware Update. Two in short space of time.. Phantom 4 None..
I received my P4 back from repair.
I say my P4 it was what appeared to be either New or Refurbished different serial number and not activated. Had Flight logs on the internal SD. A few from USA. And a few from China. Weirdly the USA where the older ones. And one of them theres a flight thats logged at the USA DJI centre. And the flight log goes all the way in a straight line to Hawaii. I want their batteries and remotes.
Then again maybe thats why repairs take so long. They fly the machines to the relevant repair centres..
2017-6-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-23 03:39
I wonder if we have moved up the firmware queue as yet, I see there is new firmware for the P3S & P3-4k released earlier today.

Yeah, but not the P3 Adv or P3 Pro. Also, the only thing the fimware does is introduce the No-Fly enforcement and app login. This release has a number of P3S owners very unhappy...

I'd say that DJI are gradually going through their models to do this, but it's notable that they're doing the P4 last. Perhaps it's because they plan to release more in that firmware to finish off what they started late last year?
2017-6-23
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

And back to the top!
2017-6-24
Use props
Jcostello
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1861490 ft

United Kingdom

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-22 10:45
Now is definately the time to get out cause p4 prices are gonna be dropping like a brick. Kinda like beta tested p4's, a brick! Thats a shame. I got mine 3 months ago and its obsolete and unsupported already. My resale value dropped faster than a first generation Kia. Looks like DJI products are radioactive. Its cool for a minute but you better get the heck out quick or your screwed.

I bought mine for enjoyment and pleasure............not as an investment. Sure the price will drop when newer better drones come on the market i accept that...........im lucky im not one of the beta testers.........so my drones value is dropping but everytime i fly it i get a big grin on my face its pure fun
2017-6-24
Use props
M109
lvl.4

New Zealand

Jcostello Posted at 2017-6-24 11:55
I bought mine for enjoyment and pleasure............not as an investment. Sure the price will drop when newer better drones come on the market i accept that...........im lucky im not one of the beta testers.........so my drones value is dropping but everytime i fly it i get a big grin on my face its pure fun

In reality I think us Beta Testers are actually the lucky ones, we have "the latest" firmware already with the extra goodies which you non-beta people,  at this stage are never going to get.
2017-6-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

M109 Posted at 2017-6-24 13:38
In reality I think us Beta Testers are actually the lucky ones, we have "the latest" firmware already with the extra goodies which you non-beta people,  at this stage are never going to get.

Would be interesting to see if the Goggles 'head tracking' options works on the Beta with the goggles, I wonder if anybody has had the chance to test that out ?

2017-6-24
Use props
Stach23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 721795 ft
United States

M109 Posted at 2017-6-24 13:38

I agree, you beta testers may be the luckiest ones as I too wonder what the new firmware will bring, At the end of the day, the only thing I really want is a fixed tilted horizon, which the P4P already has fixed. and which has been around for years. Unfortunately, what I really expect from DJI at this point, is no new features, no fix for the tilted horizon, just new security measures and updated NFZ logic....something that I do not want, and the only thing that the new P3S firmware had. I do expect new firmware since the P3S got it, it just won't be what we were hoping for or minimally deserve...a fix for the tilted horizon issue.

End of speculation and mild rant.
2017-6-24
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

A fix for the tilted horizon issue is all I waiting for...
2017-6-24
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-6-24 14:38
Would be interesting to see if the Goggles 'head tracking' options works on the Beta with the goggles, I wonder if anybody has had the chance to test that out ?

Well, I had my name on a waiting list for the goggles, but then read here of the 'removal of functionality' debarcle for the P4. Once bitten, twice shy - even if I also own a P4P along with my beta FW P4.
2017-6-25
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

It'll be three weeks since staff chimed in...This is just crazy, firmwares dropping all over DJI's product line yet nothing about this, not even a word.

I agree that being agressive or ironic doesn't change a thing but as much as I would like not to show disrespect, I believe that we're the ones being insulted and disrespected and I don't mean just the 100 beta testers, not just the P4 user base but the entire DJI customer base and community...

Perhaps people aren't aware or don't want to search/read through the multitude of threads but this is DJI in its true form...

If they did this once, they probably did it before and will do it again. Except I won't be around nor will any of my friends and colleagues.

Cultural some people say...I find it insulting to the Chinese and any other nationality for that matter.

The problem is cultural indeed but with DJI's culture as a company.

2017-6-25
Use props
Cian McLiam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 366496 ft
Ireland

It's extremely disrespectful to their customers. To think I listened to a previous DJI response on this and thought 'well, at least I'll have the update before my trip in late April'. Hahahaha. What a joke.
2017-6-25
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Canada

Patience has its limits. Take it too far, it's disrespectful !!!
2017-6-26
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

I was out flying my P4 yesterday and went into modes to use tap to fly and before my very eyes was TRIPOD mode. I was too far out and in quite a precarious position so didn't press it. When I returned home, I clicked into my modes again... and it was gone. EXPLAIN THAT!? I haven't updated to the latest app. I'm on the release that got rid of the extra modes. For a moment, I thought some magic OTA update might have brought Christmas early. Alas, it was not to be.
2017-6-26
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-6-26 10:29
I was out flying my P4 yesterday and went into modes to use tap to fly and before my very eyes was TRIPOD mode. I was too far out and in quite a precarious position so didn't press it. When I returned home, I clicked into my modes again... and it was gone. EXPLAIN THAT!? I haven't updated to the latest app. I'm on the release that got rid of the extra modes. For a moment, I thought some magic OTA update might have brought Christmas early. Alas, it was not to be.

Maaaaaaaaaaaan, I started reading, saw TRIPOD mode on P4 and it brought a tear to my eye...

I think DJI just wants us to forget.....Look at the pendulum....open your mind....Poof! It's gone!
2017-6-26
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

SomeoneElsesDro u werent seeing things , i have used mine once and it is a sweet add on,  but it is not always there to use and havent checked since got new controller (leaving on 1.6 ) over P4 RC charging isssues, if  we actually see an update all i can see updating is the no fly zone that the rest of the updated birds are getting and if thats the case will leave mine in beta, hope i am wrong and DJI Where is The Firmware Upgrade for P4 ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
2017-6-26
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Thailand

BTTT for S & G
2017-6-27
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

Well, I am about to spam the email adresses shared earlier in this thread, this has gone way, way too far.

Will publish them again by the weekend as it seems it's the only thing that forced a (useless and dishonnest) reaction from DJI in this thread.
No offense @DJI_Natalia, you just did what you were asked to do, saying it wouldn't be too long but it's been over three weeks.
2017-6-28
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Canada

Any update DJI?
2017-6-29
Use props
Stach23
lvl.3
United States

It's not so strange how the lyrics to this song popped into my head....it must be DJI's theme song!!!

Hello darkness, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again,
Because a vision softly creeping,
Left its seeds while I was sleeping,
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence...
2017-6-29
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Stach23 Posted at 2017-6-29 10:05
It's not so strange how the lyrics to this song popped into my head....it must be DJI's theme song!!!

Hello darkness, my old friend,

haha so true.

And the P4P owners bowed and prayed
To the DJI god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said “The words of the prophets
Are written on the forum walls
And frustrated scrawls
And whispered in the sounds of silence
2017-6-29
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

double post
2017-6-29
Use props
Stach23
lvl.3
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-6-29 11:36
haha so true.

I LOVE IT, the new lyrics that is, not DJI's continual lack of any meaningful response....
2017-6-29
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Canada

Allo la lune, ici la terre! Do you copy?
2017-6-29
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Thailand

Hey hey BTTT
2017-7-1
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-6-29 11:36
haha so true.

SomeoneElsesDrone:

Excellent rewrite. Are you Weird Al?

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-7-1
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-7-1 11:30
SomeoneElsesDrone:

Excellent rewrite. Are you Weird Al?

Ha, no. Al's got nothing on me ;-)
2017-7-1
Use props
Dronald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103576 ft
Germany

Hallo Mond hier spricht Planet Erde. Hören Sie mich ?
mond.jpg
2017-7-1
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

What shocks me is that dji doesnt seem to be bothered by all the negative publicity and potential lost business. Its quite obvious that they read every single post and I find it most disrespectful to be ignored.  I think they feel like they are untouchable since 3dr went south. What they dont seem to realize is why 3dr went bust. They failed because they did exactly what dji is doing now. False promises, design problems, and most of all, poor customer service. They think it cant happen to them but it can and may happen. Honestly, at this point i would rather have an imperfect Solo. Its a much sexier looking machine and all of its issues have been resolved in the after market. You can get the complete package for about $400 on amazon. The software is open source so if you want an ifm someone has probably already written the software and is available for free. I was seriously considering getting a Mavic but dji's lack of supporting a year old product and falsely representing their products capability has left a bad taste in my mouth and the 3rd is looking pretty dang appealing right now. What drove me over the top was them removing capabilities and not adding ifm's that they promised would be available and that the machine is fully capable of performing. Had they not promised they were coming that would be one thing but lying and misleading customers is where I draw the line. I cant do business with a company that can so easily mislead its customers and when doing so is part of their business model and sales strategy. They put clauses in their user agreement that they think will protect them from any legal action resulting from their corrupt practices but when you wrote the agreement that way to shield yourself against unethical and illegal business practices then that agreement is not binding, at least not in US courts. The agreement has to be written with no ill intentions or as protection against unethical business practices. Any lawyer worth his/her salt would win the argument that DJI wrote that agreement as a shield against an illegal business practice. Changing the goggles manual the day before shipping is proof enough. They new weeks if not months before the release that they werent going to release the features for the p4 that the manual said it supports and yet they knowingly pre sold p4 owners a product that would not perform as advertised. That alone is absolutely the most brazen act of misrepresentation I have ever seen a company pull. They knew and they said nothing until the absolute very last moment allowable under most countries laws. Why didnt they tell us that weeks before? Pre sales and that is the only reason that explains their actions. I as a consumer just cant accept or forgive that and dji clearly has no intention of making it right and they are apparently unconcerned about damage to their name. THEY DO NOT CARE!
2017-7-1
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Next year I will probably upgrade my film rig. I have X5R now, and also drones for inspection (Inspire, S900 with XT, a couple of phantoms for 3D data). But I'm starting to look again at Pixhawks or other derivates.

DJI just wants to put hardware into the market, as fast as they can, Often falsely advertised with specs that are not what you get, or specifications change to worse after software/firmware upgrades (Inspires speeds, P4 /Goggles and more). Often also releasing a product, then quickly releasing an upgraded product shortly after, leaving the first buyers out in the cold, feeling cheated.

Support is a lottery.

Right now DJI acts like a mass-product company, like selling those cheap 10$ palm-sized drones. "Produce it - Sell it - Forget it - Don't interact with customers".

If DJI wants to continue having Pro systems, like Inspires, Agri drones, Ronin, highend cameras etc. DJI needs to make a 180 before it's to late for them. Yes, DJI is a huge company, they can bleed money for quite  a while. But it's hard to stop the bleeding when other companies are doing better. And other companies will do it better in a short while. Market will see to it when previous faithful DJI customers leave DJI.

DJI simply not understand to build a relationship with their customer. It's one thing to buy a $10 drone, if you are not happy with it, give it to the neighbour kid or throw it in the trashcan. But if you have bought DJI equipment for $20 000, then you, as a customer, expect support, you expect the products to work as advertised, you expect that it can be used for some time and upgraded. I've been loyal to DJI for a long, long time, spending (I don't really want to count), but a lot of money. What I keep see, is that products are more or less forgotten after a few months. And that is too short a time for Pro users.

I asked DJI to start a Trade In program, so Pro users could, for instance, trade in their Inspire 1's with X5 and X5R with DJI and get some money back for it when they sign up for a Inspire 2. DJI could sell the trade in Inspire 1's as refurbished units and earn some money on it again or just take it for spare parts, decomissioning old products. The customer will get new hardware with the new Inspire 2, and we will have a happy customer. A good relationship between the seller and the customer, a win-win situation. With more users running their latest hardware, DJI could then also focus software development on the newer hardware, and spend less time on the older that is traded in and decomissioned.

DJI fails to see that they need a relationship with the customer. DJI fails to see what the customers wants and needs, making, for instance, DJI Circle when not even basic support works.

I do like DJI products. I like the integration of the software/hardware. I can use the same software for my P4 as well as the S900 with XT. But seeing how quickly Inspire 1 went away in the Pro segment (last firmware update just 4 months after the XT's release in Europe). And now the P4 in the consumer line is forgotten after a very short time. I feel cheated as a customer having spent $xx xxx on DJI. If DJI don't recognize the Pro users, the company will fail sooner or later. Other small companies can just as easy as DJI, flood the market with small cheap drones. Maybe DJI wants do downsize. I don't know. Do DJI want to be a leader in drones and innovations for the market? Then they need to rethink, and do it fast.
2017-7-1
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.2
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

Some post those emails from a few pages back. We deserve better than this.
2017-7-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules