Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
39542 585 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Driller35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

Thanks  BEN_M16, well seeing all the latest posts and doesnt work has left me very Disgusted in DJI abilities to get this right for us Beta Testers
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Team, as per earlier suggestions, I've started a new thread for the issue with Assistant 2 not detecting there's a new firmware if a beta P4 is connected. I suggest we post are experiences there to try to get DJI focus.
2017-7-6
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

I am relieved that this issue has now finally been resolved.  I had suspected that some odd behaviors I experienced under the beta firmware I was stuck on since early January were unique to the beta.  Now that we beta testers finally have an upgrade that puts us back in sync with the rest of the p4 world, that suspicion has been confirmed.  As an example, under the beta firmware, with collision avoidance on,  regardless of altitude, the maximum speed I could ever achieve was about 15 MPH.  Now that I am on official firmware again, the max speed is back up to 22 MPH as it should be.  This kind of thing is why it was so wrong to treat the beta testers with reckless abandon after they helped test and improve the official firmware.  I hope this sort of thing never happens again to any DJI customers, especially the ones who are among the most enthusiastic and supportive.

Sincerely,

Jim Watkins
Burbank ,CA
2017-7-10
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-7-10 12:18
I am relieved that this issue has now finally been resolved.  I had suspected that some odd behaviors I experienced under the beta firmware I was stuck on since early January were unique to the beta.  Now that we beta testers finally have an upgrade that puts us back in sync with the rest of the p4 world, that suspicion has been confirmed.  As an example, under the beta firmware, with collision avoidance on,  regardless of altitude, the maximum speed I could ever achieve was about 15 MPH.  Now that I am on official firmware again, the max speed is back up to 22 MPH as it should be.  This kind of thing is why it was so wrong to treat the beta testers with reckless abandon after they helped test and improve the official firmware.  I hope this sort of thing never happens again to any DJI customers, especially the ones who are among the most enthusiastic and supportive.

Sincerely,

Glad it resolve for you now.
Did you experience any issue like the ones in the thread "Aircraft totally unstable and aggressive after recent firmware up..." during your beta testing?
I wasn't in the beta but applied the last firmware and the P4 is totally unstable and too risky to fly.
Please any thought?
2017-7-10
Use props
M109
lvl.4

New Zealand

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-7-10 12:18

Sincerely,

It may have resolved some problems but it has introduced some new problems as well  and I think I was far more satisfied with the Beta version, hope we don't have to wait another 6  months for DJI to address these new issues.
2017-7-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-10 12:46
Did you experience any issue like the ones in the thread "Aircraft totally unstable and aggressive after recent firmware up..." during your beta testing?
I wasn't in the beta but applied the last firmware and the P4 is totally unstable and too risky to fly.

I have that issue also with my P4 now, and can confirm that the P4 with the firmware beta version (v2.00.0012) had a stable hover. This problem has been introduced with the latest production release.

I suspect it may be due to a poor IMU calibration, noting that the process has changed so must be done more precisely. I'm yet to test my theory.
2017-7-10
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-10 16:13
I have that issue also with my P4 now, and can confirm that the P4 with the firmware beta version (v2.00.0012) had a stable hover. This problem has been introduced with the latest production release.

I suspect it may be due to a poor IMU calibration, noting that the process has changed so must be done more precisely. I'm yet to test my theory.

There are now many reports of this wobbling and shaking following the most recent firmware update. It's a real shame because the landings and other features generally appear to be working well.
For me, the newly introduced shaking makes the drone virtually impossible to use for any serious flights.

I have very little confidence that this problem will be resolved in the short to medium term so I'm desperately seeking a way to revert to the previous code. I have tried DJI Assistant and the DJI Go4 app but neither one offers the opportunity to do anything other than refresh this latest firmware (and I've done that three times already).

If anyone knows of any means to revert to the previous firmware then I'd love to hear it (even via PM if you feel uncomfortable posting the solution in public).
2017-7-10
Use props
Mike Mas
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Hey guys quick question I now have an Inspire and 2 P3P down with defective video board problems and I was thinking of getting a P Pro + as a stand in so my question is if I pop one is the current firmware usable or is there problems.

Many Thanks. Mike
2017-7-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Mike Mas Posted at 2017-7-10 16:56
Hey guys quick question I now have an Inspire and 2 P3P down with defective video board problems and I was thinking of getting a P Pro + as a stand in so my question is if I pop one is the current firmware usable or is there problems.

Many Thanks. Mike

IMHO, yes, so long as you don't go with the Plus version. Keep your app options open with the standard P4P and a current model tablet (and iOS appears to be the more stable of the two platforms if you want to use DJI GO).

But this wasn't the right thread to post that, Mike. This thread relates to the P4 only    ;-)
2017-7-10
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-10 16:13

I did numerous IMU calibrations but the bird is just unstable. Just updated it again, then calibrated, re-link the RC, did the compass.....still unstable
2017-7-10
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Australia

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-10 19:12
I did numerous IMU calibrations but the bird is just unstable. Just updated it again, then calibrated, re-link the RC, did the compass.....still unstable

I have done the same. Numerous IMU calibrations (I agree with Punchbuggy that the IMU is the likely cause of the problem). I've even gotten up early in order to do the IMU calibration when it was below freezing outside but it makes no difference.
I've also calibrated the RC, compass, and anything else where I could see a calibration option but it made no difference at all. Like other posters have noted, the drone flew perfectly prior to this update. I updated because I wanted the new features but I now regret doing so. As per you comment, my drone is pretty much unusable in its current state with this new firmware.
2017-7-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-7-10 19:25
I have done the same. Numerous IMU calibrations (I agree with Punchbuggy that the IMU is the likely cause of the problem). I've even gotten up early in order to do the IMU calibration when it was below freezing outside but it makes no difference.
I've also calibrated the RC, compass, and anything else where I could see a calibration option but it made no difference at all. Like other posters have noted, the drone flew perfectly prior to this update. I updated because I wanted the new features but I now regret doing so. As per you comment, my drone is pretty much unusable in its current state with this new firmware.

OK, clutching at straws, but have you tried doing a 'return to factory defaults' AFTER doing a refresh, and THEN setting everything back up, including an IMU and gimbal calibration from default?

I've now got an Assistant 2/VPS calibration issue to sort before giving that a try myself.
2017-7-10
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-10 19:36
OK, clutching at straws, but have you tried doing a 'return to factory defaults' AFTER doing a refresh, and THEN setting everything back up, including an IMU and gimbal calibration from default?

I've now got an Assistant 2/VPS calibration issue to sort before giving that a try myself.

I didn't reset it to factory default and didn't calibrate the gimbal today but I did it yesterday with the same result. I will give a try tomorrow and hope the bird will start fly smoothly...
2017-7-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-10 19:52
I didn't reset it to factory default and didn't calibrate the gimbal today but I did it yesterday with the same result. I will give a try tomorrow and hope the bird will start fly smoothly...

I doubt that the gimbal calibration has anything to do with the jerkiness - it'd be more a result of the IMU calibration and subsequent operation. The IMU measures angular velocity and linear acceleration and uses that data in flight decisions - currently, to make over-exaggerated ones.
2017-7-10
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-10 19:36

Yes, I've tried that also but, unfortunately, that makes no difference.
2017-7-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-7-10 19:59
Yes, I've tried that also but, unfortunately, that makes no difference.

Oh bugger! OK, hmm, I'm getting down to suggesting we draw a pentacle around the P4 and sacrificing chickens to the Great DJI God then...  Divine intervention may be required after all.
2017-7-10
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-10 20:06
Oh bugger! OK, hmm, I'm getting down to suggesting we draw a pentacle around the P4 and sacrificing chickens to the Great DJI God then...  Divine intervention may be required after all.

I say Amen
2017-7-10
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
United States

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-10 12:46

I did not experience any other undesired results although I have not flown very much yet.
2017-7-11
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
United States

Could someone post video of the "shakiness" issue.  I haven't seen it my P4 since upgrading, but as I said, I have only flown about 25 minutes and have not tried any new modes.
2017-7-11
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-7-11 13:18
Could someone post video of the "shakiness" issue.  I haven't seen it my P4 since upgrading, but as I said, I have only flown about 25 minutes and have not tried any new modes.

Here's a whole thread with two videos...
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D368%26typeid%3D368
2017-7-11
Use props
Talk-to-Frank
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213402 ft
United Kingdom

#NoteToSelf= Resist joining the BETA program if offered it in the future! I do feel for you Jim, I have been in that position with other stuff before - luckily not with expensive flying things though but I do get how that can be frustrating and somewhat daunting in a way. DJI should pull out all the stops to at least give you an update when you are quite kindly risking an expensive bit of kit to support future enhancements etc! Good luck with it! Frank.
2017-7-11
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

Did the update , only problem i had was getting the RC firmware update but eventually got, took it out with out updating IMU or others, very responsive attitude , didnt notice any shaking or anything else out of the norm, still had camera when pointed directly down not holding still , so did imu and camera sensor calibrations and did end up eliminating the camera problem , ran it thru different settings and all seemed normal
Cheers and GLTA  
2017-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have those with the 'wobble' problem tried VPS calibration with DJI Assistant 2 as well as the IMU calibration ?

If not then it is something else to consider.
2017-7-11
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-11 23:00
Have those with the 'wobble' problem tried VPS calibration with DJI Assistant 2 as well as the IMU calibration ?

If not then it is something else to consider.

The VPS calibration didn't help, did that numerous time with same result.
2017-7-11
Use props
Mr.Bluskyone1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 406909 ft
  • >>>
United States

An accurate depiction of updating DJI Firmware. Take from the guy who has every DJI product Firmware is not to be done unless it forces you....

Updating DJI Firmware

Updating DJI Firmware
2017-7-20
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Hi All
Is there any Beta testers that have not upgraded to the latest Firmware?
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules