Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Frostywinter Posted at 2017-5-19 05:08
I picked up my DJI Goggles today from my pre order a few weeks ago, seems I got them a little sooner than anyone else??

Anyhow I am having activation issues with them on my Phantom 4 - they wont activate, I have been through it a few times now but no activation

Hi Frostywinter
Sounds like you have just become a beta tester for the goggles. Once again they have released products that have not been tested correctly then it becomes the consumers problem and they wipe their hands clean. They will release new goggles in 2 months and stop updating the old ones. Yes the ones you have now are already the old ones.
2017-5-19
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Frostywinter Posted at 2017-5-19 05:08
I picked up my DJI Goggles today from my pre order a few weeks ago, seems I got them a little sooner than anyone else??

Anyhow I am having activation issues with them on my Phantom 4 - they wont activate, I have been through it a few times now but no activation

This is EXACTLY why I have faith that a FW update is on the way. Please let us know what they say = because as long as they are peddling goggles to P4 owners, we have to assume an update is on the way.
2017-5-19
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
United States

Well we've been assuming for a while now.

Goggles are out, advertised as supported by the P4 and they aren't. That fw should have been out or on release of the goggles. For some reason its being held back, more than likely due to dev/tech difficulties.

There isnt any other reason for not releasing that thing already other than it doesn't work as it should.
2017-5-19
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

The goggles spec sheet say they are compatible with the Phantom 4... I doubt DJI has plans to sell them to P4 owners without figuring out the compatibility issues.  DJI is moving too quick for their own good but I doubt they would ship a $450 accessory to consumers who couldn't use it.  
2017-5-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

beeper Posted at 2017-5-19 05:25
Hi Frostywinter
Sounds like you have just become a beta tester for the goggles. Once again they have released products that have not been tested correctly then it becomes the consumers problem and they wipe their hands clean. They will release new goggles in 2 months and stop updating the old ones. Yes the ones you have now are already the old ones.

Sorry, but I lost it over the "Once again..."  line.  

Hopefully the bugs will get fixed within the next few months as the roll-out  begins.
2017-5-19
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-19 05:53
This is EXACTLY why I have faith that a FW update is on the way. Please let us know what they say = because as long as they are peddling goggles to P4 owners, we have to assume an update is on the way.

I'm not sure it's anytime soon now. The Goggles manual was updated today, removing head tracking support for the P4.

"Some functions will be supported later, please play attention to future updates"

I have to imagine that changing the manual now that things are actually shipping is not a good sign that an update is just around the corner.
2017-5-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

microlinux Posted at 2017-5-19 08:23
I'm not sure it's anytime soon now. The Goggles manual was updated today, removing head tracking support for the P4.

"Some functions will be supported later, please play attention to future updates"

That's interesting now, that would suggest that any goggles bought by P4 owners have been mis-sold on the basis of misleading information. That's quite serious as most of the banks in the UK have found out to their cost with mis-selling products. No head tracking of flight, no head tracking of gimbal, and no tripod mode as listed in previous manual. Had they been available I would have bought a pair based on that information, based on todays information they would have been getting returned as 'not fit for purpose'.

EDIT:- From todays 'updated' manual:-

DJI Goggles latest - Copy.png
2017-5-19
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
United States

Gets better and better, well now it's clear where this is heading....
2017-5-19
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

What does this mean? Will some features that are currently "checked" require a later firmware update, or will some things with an "x" turn into "checks" with a firmware update? If the latter, which features? Will the P4 get head tracking flight, but not gimbal, or vice versa or both?  Spin the wheel of firmware functionality!
2017-5-19
Use props
p4ever
lvl.4
Flight distance : 681975 ft
Greece

shame dji {:4_142:}
2017-5-19
Use props
nickzavi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137257 ft
Greece

Why dji??? We want in phantom 4 the tripod mode and you not give this mode. Why?????
2017-5-19
Use props
p4ever
lvl.4
Greece

I'm sorry for a friend who ordered them for p4 (only for tripod mode)
2017-5-19
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They may have been holding back the firmware for the new activation procedure, that's what I'm hoping at least.
2017-5-19
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-5-19 09:03
That's interesting now, that would suggest that any goggles bought by P4 owners have been mis-sold on the basis of misleading information. That's quite serious as most of the banks in the UK have found out to their cost with mis-selling products. No head tracking of flight, no head tracking of gimbal, and no tripod mode as listed in previous manual. Had they been available I would have bought a pair based on that information, based on todays information they would have been getting returned as 'not fit for purpose'.

EDIT:- From todays 'updated' manual:-

Yep, this is exactly what I was waiting for. If I had infinite time and money, it has lawsuit written all over it. You can't sell B in the promise it will work with A at some point in the future
2017-5-19
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.2
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

Well... Looks like I'll be sending my goggles back now. Wish I could do the same with the p4 at this point.
2017-5-19
Use props
p4ever
lvl.4
Greece

Advocate Posted at 2017-5-19 13:17
They may have been holding back the firmware for the new activation procedure, that's what I'm hoping at least.

i agree

Capture2.JPG
2017-5-19
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have people been reading the P4P forum at all? Check this thread out http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D386%26typeid%3D386 and note the beta firmware which enters discussion at post #21. DJI appear to have resolved the horizon issue, but have introduced a 'gimbal shake' for some. Now they've gone quiet - informal beta test over perhaps? I'm wondering if this is what's holding up the P4 firmware now.

The goggle issue is a different thing altogether, however. To advertise it's compatibility with the P4, release and start to sell the product, then quietly change the manual in the background to tune down the feature set is the stuff that class action lawsuits are made of. In Australia, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission would certainly be interested in such trading practices.
2017-5-19
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-5-19 15:20
Have people been reading the P4P forum at all? Check this thread out http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=93780&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D386%26typeid%3D386 and note the beta firmware which enters discussion at post #21. DJI appear to have resolved the horizon issue, but have introduced a 'gimbal shake' for some. Now they've gone quiet - informal beta test over perhaps? I'm wondering if this is what's holding up the P4 firmware now.

The goggle issue is a different thing altogether, however. To advertise it's compatibility with the P4, release and start to sell the product, then quietly change the manual in the background to tune down the feature set is the stuff that class action lawsuits are made of. In Australia, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission would certainly be interested in such trading practices.

I think we'll find out what's been holding it up on May 24th!
2017-5-19
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

DJI removed Head tracking from third-party goggles for the phantom 4 (on April 24th, 2017 Avegant Glyph)and they have not implemented head tracking in the new goggles. Great move DJI force people to buy your goggles and give them less than they had before.
2017-5-19
Use props
jesper n
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84501 ft
Sweden

Im not surprised,thanks a bunch dji,i will never,ever buy anything from you again..
2017-5-19
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Ireland

beeper Posted at 2017-5-19 16:56
DJI removed Head tracking from third-party goggles for the phantom 4 (on April 24th, 2017 Avegant Glyph)and they have not implemented head tracking in the new goggles. Great move DJI force people to buy your goggles and give them less than they had before.

Yep, that really is the kicker - I've got a pair of Glyphs on the way. Fortunately I don't give a damn about head tracking. I think it's a novelty that I would never seriously use; but the fact that they have removed the functionality and have done a 180 on the goggles compatiblilty - without a clear statement- is seriously messed up.

As punch buggy says, altering baseline functionality after people have parted with money is the stuff of lawsuits. We have lots of tv, radio and newspaper things here in the U.K. that focus on consumer rights. Just a shame that the general population really doesn't care about what is a niche product... otherwise I'd get Ann Robinson on the case ;)
2017-5-20
Use props
Frostywinter
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3086522 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Got my Googles Activated today by using a mates Mavic to Activate them, they then worked on my P4

But as stated above by a few the Gimble Tracking & Flight Tracking modes dont work on the P4 - they work fine on the Mavic - the Gimble tracking mode is great to see working

Overall the Goggles are very good I like them alot - hopefully a firmware update (soon) will get those features going for the P4

Frosty
2017-5-20
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

This is game over.

After a bunch of lies and false promises, an incredible silence and forgery of their manuals, DJI has lost any credibility to my eyes.

I hope people will have a chance to see this thread and realise in what kind of moneygrab they are getting into.

Shame on you DJI, focus on your cheap pseudo keynotes and announcements hiding the rotten state of your software development and disrespect to your existing customers, good luck to the new ones!
2017-5-20
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Don't know if you guys have seen this

http://www.dji.com/mobile/newsroom/news/dji-updates-process-for-activating-software-and-firmware-updates

I read this as restrictions are going to be enforced depending on regional legislation moving forward. All of a sudden, that firmware update is looking a lot less appealing! Not that I ever break the rules.
2017-5-20
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wonder what would happen if it didn't know where it was, no GPS/GLONASS reception, default to ATTI mode and no restrictions ?
2017-5-20
Use props
JockC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

So typical. The article says absolutely nothing about what features or thresholds might be restricted. If DJI was serious about keeping owners informed then they would publish a simple table of the new restrictions by region. The fact that they haven't suggests that the restrictions may be significant.  Eg. If a country's laws state that a drone must be always under the control of the operator, does that mean that DJI would block the Follow Me and Active Track features? (..or  even RTH).Given that this is a formal DJI announcement, I would hope that the reps in this forum might take the time to more clearly elaborate on what features and restrictions are to be applied for each region.

2017-5-20
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>
Germany

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-20 15:22
Don't know if you guys have seen this

http://www.dji.com/mobile/newsroom/news/dji-updates-process-for-activating-software-and-firmware-updates

That's what it looks like in my app:

Notice.png
2017-5-21
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
United States

Well, new activation process has little to do with the issue at hand (also, big attachment...)

In spite of the 'announcement' on the 24th and the new DJI Go app activation process, nothing has changed in regards to the beta testers, the lack of firmware update and now the manipulation of existing manuals to hide their inability or unwillingness to support the P4 and its users.
2017-5-22
Use props
dirtdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3633799 ft
United States

I've thought for months that they were going to wrap this update around some kind of poison pill regarding geo. Looks like I wasn't far off. I think I'll stick with my beta firmware. My beta app doesn't work anymore but my trusty old Go 2.9.2 still works just fine and I think I can get some of the beta goodies to work with Go 4 if I decide to reload it to my iPad.
2017-5-22
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dnerve Posted at 2017-5-22 09:50
Well, new activation process has little to do with the issue at hand (also, big attachment...)

In spite of the 'announcement' on the 24th and the new DJI Go app activation process, nothing has changed in regards to the beta testers, the lack of firmware update and now the manipulation of existing manuals to hide their inability or unwillingness to support the P4 and its users.

Yep. DJI Joe was willing to pass comment on the geospatial panic thread. No such courtesy extended to the P4 community here. Sent him a PM. No response yet.
2017-5-22
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

Haha it's Wednesday now, still nothing regarding the forced re-registering through the new app and firmwares announced in DJI Go.

I wonder if it's the same kind of fake info they've been throwing around or it's just the support for their silly  and probably buggy selfie drone they are about to announce tommorrow...

I doubt this thread and P4 users is even at the bottom of their priority list (if they even have one other than move as many boxes as possible....)
2017-5-23
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

Also, anyone noticed that in spite of their announcement of yhe phantom section being down, only the P4 section (with this thread at the top) give conveniently a bad gateway error?

This thread is accessible through its direct link, so the section works....How bizarre...

Edit: Oh wait, seems the mobile version kinda works but not the desktop, jusy being paranoid I guess, but indeed this forums might be bad publicity over a very mainstream product reveal...

2017-5-23
Use props
wangrincreation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

it's weird, I can only access the p4 forum only when clicking on my notification links/
2017-5-23
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well... the silly drone has launched. Officially no excuses left now.
2017-5-24
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-24 09:13
Well... the silly drone has launched. Officially no excuses left now.

Not quite, more excuses actually to ignore the now defunct P4 and its user base....

Never again will I be lured in buying any of their product. Ultimately the P4 stopped being supported 3 months after its purchase (Bought it in September, released in March, so 6 months after release).

Well done DJI, you should stick it on the boxes you move that after purchase, no support is offered unless you paid for extended warranty or we really have to (then send you another random drone back as a replacement, because can't be arsed to actually repair and support your device, supposedly for quicker turnaround...lies, lies and more lies)
2017-5-24
Use props
Dronald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103576 ft
Germany

I've finished with them too. Will never never buy anything from them ! {:4_142:}.
2017-5-24
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Dronald Posted at 2017-5-24 10:08
I've finished with them too. Will never never buy anything from them ! .

Ditto!
2017-5-24
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.2
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

I'm livid. I also bought mine in September. It was the best phantom at the time. Now 7 months later it's not even offered or supported anymore.
2017-5-24
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Forrest_Siems Posted at 2017-5-24 10:25
I'm livid. I also bought mine in September. It was the best phantom at the time. Now 7 months later it's not even offered or supported anymore.

You can most certainly still purchase a P4 and get support for it.
2017-5-24
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-5-24 10:42
You can most certainly still purchase a P4 and get support for it.

By support we mean fixes, updates and community support.

You can still buy a WV Beetle from the 70's and have support at your local garage, doesn't mean Volkswagen is supporting it nor it should some 50 years later, but this was a product that was a few months old....
2017-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules