How or what could have caused this Damage to my Mavic?
2210 16 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

Hello Everyone.

When I was unfolding my Mavic last night before a flight I just happend to pull it by the leg and felt a groove and upon inspecting it I saw the below. Any ideas how this could have happened and is it going to affect anything? Thanks in advance!

2017-3-24
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Can't tell from the close-up -- is that a friction groove, impact gouge or melt spot?
2017-3-24
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It looks melted to me, perhaps by the tip of a soldering iron. Assuming that you haven't exposed it to something that could have caused this -- and it's difficult to see how you could / would have -- then it most likely occurred at the factory. Are you the original owner or was this a used / replacement / refurbished unit you got from DJI or somewhere else?

As far as whether it'll affect anything, the antennas are in the legs, but it doesn't look deep enough to be a real problem, though of course the only meaningful assessment is in how it actually behaves.
2017-3-24
Use props
Molar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26004 ft
Canada

It appears that it might be a friction burn, perhaps from a cable.
2017-3-24
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-24 07:40
It looks melted to me, perhaps by the tip of a soldering iron. Assuming that you haven't exposed it to something that could have caused this -- and it's difficult to see how you could / would have -- then it most likely occurred at the factory. Are you the original owner or was this a used / replacement / refurbished unit you got from DJI or somewhere else?

As far as whether it'll affect anything, the antennas are in the legs, but it doesn't look deep enough to be a real problem, though of course the only meaningful assessment is in how it actually behaves.

Hi Drone,

Thanks for the reply. I am the original owner. I have DJI refresh but dont really want to send it in unless i need to. the drone flies and responds fine it seems. I dont have any kind of tools that would cause this. very weird.
2017-3-24
Use props
PerryWolf
New
Canada

Snap_Shot Posted at 2017-3-24 08:09
Hi Drone,

Thanks for the reply. I am the original owner. I have DJI refresh but dont really want to send it in unless i need to. the drone flies and responds fine it seems. I dont have any kind of tools that would cause this. very weird.

You haven't at any time started up the motors without the front arm all the way in it's forward position, have you? It almost looks like the perfect height match of where the rear propeller would impact if the front arm wasn't all the way out. Haven't bumped into any trees or anything while flying and the props were spinning and the front arm was bumped backward into it? That's all I can think, otherwise, like the others suggest, probably manufacturing error.
2017-3-24
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

PerryWolf Posted at 2017-3-24 08:18
You haven't at any time started up the motors without the front arm all the way in it's forward position, have you? It almost looks like the perfect height match of where the rear propeller would impact if the front arm wasn't all the way out. Haven't bumped into any trees or anything while flying and the props were spinning and the front arm was bumped backward into it? That's all I can think, otherwise, like the others suggest, probably manufacturing error.

nope no bumps or anything. I guess I'll file a claim with DJI. its just really weird
2017-3-24
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

That does look like a cut from the front arm folding back into the rear spinning props . I would fold it back and see if it does line up then if it does go from there .
2017-3-24
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

Looks to me like the front arm got folded back during flight, and the rear prop on the same side, while under power, cut into the front leg. See how the rear blades align vertically with that spot on the leg? If you came in for a hard landing, moving forward, the front leg would be folded back into the path of the rear prop, like a saw blade.
2017-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It really looks like it was melted by a soldering iron..
2017-3-24
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Must have been a long day on the repair line xd
2017-3-24
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

Looks like there is a slight chance moisture can get in the small hole created by the gouge. Did you inspect the drone upon receiving and opening the package? Looks like the prop blade hit it repeatedly or a friction melt from a cable as Molar mentioned.

Could someone messed with your drone, unbeknownst to you? For example a child, roommate , or a jerky brother perhaps?

I physically tried to see if my rear Mavic prop blade would strike at the same location with a semi extended front arm and the prop would connect at that exact location (roughly) and it is pretty darn close to were your damage is.
2017-3-24
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Snap_Shot Posted at 2017-3-24 09:27
nope no bumps or anything. I guess I'll file a claim with DJI. its just really weird

If it isn't affecting flight, I recommend not sending it into DJI for repairs. Read up on repair turn around in this forum and if you're willing to possibly wait a while then do it. If not, wait till something severe happens to your drone.
2017-3-25
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-3-24 10:04
That does look like a cut from the front arm folding back into the rear spinning props . I would fold it back and see if it does line up then if it does go from there .

it looks like it does line up. very weird though. Thanks for the reply
2017-3-27
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

dana5 Posted at 2017-3-24 10:55
Looks to me like the front arm got folded back during flight, and the rear prop on the same side, while under power, cut into the front leg. See how the rear blades align vertically with that spot on the leg? If you came in for a hard landing, moving forward, the front leg would be folded back into the path of the rear prop, like a saw blade.

looking more and more like this is what happened at some point.
2017-3-27
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-3-24 11:46
Looks like there is a slight chance moisture can get in the small hole created by the gouge. Did you inspect the drone upon receiving and opening the package? Looks like the prop blade hit it repeatedly or a friction melt from a cable as Molar mentioned.

Could someone messed with your drone, unbeknownst to you? For example a child, roommate , or a jerky brother perhaps?

i think Im going to put a dab of glue in there to seal it. ive flown many times this weekend and the mavic flew fine. I might use my refresh once ques get straightened out and you dont have to wait a month for it to get back.
2017-3-27
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

Range30 Posted at 2017-3-25 01:15
If it isn't affecting flight, I recommend not sending it into DJI for repairs. Read up on repair turn around in this forum and if you're willing to possibly wait a while then do it. If not, wait till something severe happens to your drone.

agreed I might use my refresh once the wait goes down if it does ever.
2017-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules