Travel with Inspire 1
1388 4 2015-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
garyianschwartz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 132894 ft
United Kingdom

Does anybody know if you can carry the inspire in its case as hand luggage on a plane ? am travelling to spain in june with easyjet from london.
2015-2-26
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

It's much larger than the standard carry on allowance so I would say most likely not.   

If you stripped the Inspire down you might get away with just carrying it on by itself and putting everything else in a small bag.

But if you show up with the case there is a very very good chance they'll make you check it into cargo and it's not strong enough to protect the contents in those conditions.  
2015-2-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-2-27 04:40
It's much larger than the standard carry on allowance so I would say most likely not.   

If you str ...

Thats when you probably need something like the Peli im2875 case.

I have a Peli case for a Phantom and wouldnt hesitate to put it in the hold as checked in baggage.
2015-2-26
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldnt like to risk it.  

May be you need to get a stronger case you can trust to check it into the hold.

I just cant visualise the Inspire case fitting into the overhead luggage holders on aircraft from the UK or Long Haul flights.  That said Ed Tahoe has taken it with him on flights in USA interstate without problem, however I am unsure if the overhead cabin lockers are bigger in US aircraft.

I do know though that cabin crew on all my last flights UK and Long Haul to Australia were weighing hand luggage at check in and re-checking luggage dimesnions for some travellors at the boarding gate, even sending some back to get their cases and bags put into the hold.  

I dont think the dimensions of the Inspire case would be within the airline guides for hand luggage. Normal hand luggage dimensions from British Airways are :

56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) including handles, pockets and wheels, with 23kg max weight.

Measuring the Inspire case exceeds these dimensions, so would concentrate on just taking your batteries with you in hand luggage.  Perhaps take a copy of the airline rules for Li Po batteries in case you have problems going through x-rays and customs checks.

2015-2-26
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

Yes, maybe.  It will fit in the larger plane's overhead bins, but technically, it's oversized by the numbers.  That said, I've done it a few times with no issues.

However, as Jim said above, there's a risk of a gate check, and if it's in the DJI case, the protection is minimal.

Here's a few threads discussing it:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... ight=travel&lang=en

-mike

2015-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules