Ground Station for iPad, Transfer of Control
3377 11 2015-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
reto.weiss.gmai
lvl.2
Switzerland

I would like to start my copter manually, i.e., R/C controlled. I then want to transfer control to GS in order to fly to waypoints. After conducting waypoint flying, I again want to land manually.

With GS for PC that's possible.
What about GS for iPad, can I also control transfer between GS and R/C in a similar way?

Suprisingly enough, I wasn't able to start the engines through with the usual stick command after setting up a waypoint flight on my iPad.
2015-2-27
Use props
nig_smith
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Yes you can do all of this.

You can launch Your craft manually, put it into a hover, upload the mission, and then execute. The craft will then fly the mission. You can pause the mission at any point and upload further waypoints.

If you want to take control during a mission you just flip from GPS to ATTI via the mode switch on your transmitter.

If you are using a transmitter that doesn't have a self centering throttle stick ensure the throttle is in the mid position when you take over control from the Groundstation. You don't want the craft to fall out of the sky because your throttle control was set too low.

From here on you can either remain in ATTI mode or go back to GPS mode and continue to fly and/or land manually.

Even when you have taken control the flight status will still update on the Groundstation App.  Before I installed a telemetry system on my F550 Hex this was how I monitored the battery voltage rather than relying on the flashing Naza light.

Regards

Nidge.
2015-2-27
Use props
reto.weiss.gmai
lvl.2
Switzerland

nig_smith@o2.co Posted at 2015-2-27 18:55
Yes you can do all of this.

Hi Nidge
Thanks a lot for your input.

You are also talking about GS for iPad, right? I´m used to do all this with GS for PC, but I was in doubt whether GS for iPad offers the same functionality... Thanks for clarifying.

BTW: How do you continue a WP flight, once it has been interrupted by switching from GPS to Atti? On PC you do that by pressing Pause - Continue.
2015-2-27
Use props
nig_smith
Second Officer

United Kingdom

It's the same as the PC. You press pause and the craft will maintain a hover until you press continue where it will execute the remainder of the mission.  The GUI on the iPad is a lot more intuitive than the PC equivalent but lacks some of the nice to have mapping features due to the use of Apple's dreadful mapping system compared to that of Google Earth.

There is a very big demand for an Android version and DJI claim to be working on this. I fear that only the higher end Android Tablets and phones will work with the Bluetooth adaptor included with the kit as this is using the BLE / Smart Ready standards which the cheaper generic Chinese tablets probably don't support. However it maybe possible to power the ground module via the micro USB / OTG connector the same way I use the MAVlink ( Micro Air Vehicle Link protocol ) radios with the Ardupilot Mission Planner Groundstation.

Regards

Nidge
2015-2-27
Use props
reto.weiss.gmai
lvl.2
Switzerland

Thanks a lot for the clarification, that´s what I actually expected, but ...

After setting up a simple 2-waypoint mission on my iPad, connected to the WKM controller, I tried to launch manually which didn´t work. The common stick commands to engange the engines had no effect whatsoever. That´s when I started to doubt whether transfer of control works the same way as I´m used to (using GS on PC).

Does anyone have an idea, why I couldn´t engage the engines via R/C, while being connected to GS iPad app?
Speaking for GS for iPad, is there also an explicit mission UPLOAD command, like with the PC-version?
Is there an in-depth manual for this app, I only found a brief installation/configuration manual?
2015-2-27
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Turn off the APP and double check whether you can start the engine via R/C
2015-2-27
Use props
reto.weiss.gmai
lvl.2
Switzerland

DJI-Cathy Posted at 2015-2-28 15:02
Turn off the APP and double check whether you can start the engine via R/C

Yes, I was able to, without running app.
2015-2-28
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

1. Make sure your remote controller is linked to the drone while you turned on the APP
2. Please calibrate your remoter controller to see
3. Try different remote controller to double check
2015-3-2
Use props
reto.weiss.gmai
lvl.2
Switzerland

If I understand you right, it should be no problem to start the engines/launch a WKM-controlled multicopter via R/C and then hand-over to GS for iPad for conducting an autonomous waypoint flight, right?

Is there an in-depth manual for the GS iPad app, not just about configuration but also addressing app commands.
2015-3-2
Use props
reto.weiss.gmai
lvl.2
Switzerland

I'm especially interested in the correct sequence of commands, in order to manually launch the copter and then hand over to GS.

1. After editing a waypoint mission, I press OK, correct?
2. As far as I understand, I shouldn't press GO now, it would upload and auto takeoff immediately, right?

What do I do instead?
- Launching the copter manually in Atti mode?
- Switching to GPS mode?
- Pressing GO afterwards?

2015-3-2
Use props
DJI-Cathy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

I am afraid that there is no other in-depth manual, to answer your questiones
1. Yes,
2. if you press "Go" it would upload and auto atke off
To manually launch the copter, no matter GPS mode or Atti mode, but to carry out the mission, it should be in GPS mode
2015-3-3
Use props
reto.weiss.gmai
lvl.2
Switzerland

Thanks  lot.
If  I launch in ATTI and switch to GPS mode and then press GO, that should work then?

2015-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules