Dampen YAW control for better video panning
12558 27 2014-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nfatoys
lvl.3

United States

The Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro Hero 3+ Black is a fantastic platform for aerial videography, but it suffers from a horrible deficiency; the lack of precision control for panning the video camera.

Currently, the only way to achieve camera panning is to apply Left or Right YAW (rotation) to the entire Quadcopter.   Needless to say, the Phantoms flight controls are far too crude to achieve a slow smooth Pan operation.  Only the most skilled quad pilot might achieve this, but not the average Videographer and part-time Phantom pilot.

So my question is simple. Is it possible through software to dampen the Phantoms YAW sensitivity for the purpose of slowing down the rotation speed to achieve slower and smoother camera panning?   I ask this because there is a calibration adjustment in the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant software under Basic / Gain that can change the YAW gain value.  But there is no documentation anywhere that I can find that describes what these Gain adjustments do, and how they affect flight performance.   Rather than tweaking my Phantoms gain and induce flight instability, I thought I’d ask this question here.

2014-10-9
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Gains affect the time it takes for the airframe to respond.
They do not affect the speed of the response.
That is determined by the amount the stick is deflected.
What you seek is EXPO, and that is not a feature on the Phantom controllers...

A lower gain number may appear to slow down the speed, but it's really just making the airframe sluggish.
Many of us shooting video use relatively low gains settings compared to the stunt-flying hot rodders.
You might want to experiment with lower yaw gains settings.
Do it in small steps (5% or 10%), and remember where you started.
Flight performance won't change drastically...

BTW, there's really a lot of documentation on gains settings, but not on this relatively new forum.
Try the DJI threads over on RCGroups...

2014-10-9
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am interested in this as well, you bring up a good point. I believe the Yaw Gain will slow the yaw rate down globally, so it will effect the overall flight characteristics, not just when you are wanting to pan while filming. This could cause problems if the need should ever arise for evasive measures, I suppose.

The only other workaround I can see is, if it fits your needs, is filming at 60fps and slowing down the pan in post. Of course this only works in the right situations, and certainly not when any other movement (car, people, etc) would be in the frame. So, not really a workaround.

Curious what others have to say about this. Thanks for bringing it up.
2014-10-9
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Well, the yaw response will be affected on all  yaw maneuvers.
So, you fly like a grandmother with them set low and don't put yourself in a position to need quick, evasive measures...
The wind will also move the craft around more because the response rate to it will also be slowed.
Just changing yaw rates may not be really obvious wind-wise.
All slightly lower gains will really get you is a smoother flight.
Changing 25% or more will change flight characteristics...
I'm afraid the really slow yaw speed you fellows want requires a more sophisticated transmitter...

And don't forget that gains preferences are an individual thing.
Amoung pilots that have adjusted them (same airframe), you probably won't find identical settings...

2014-10-9
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

Having said the above, I'll add that I've not monkeyed with the gains on any of my Phantoms.
They are at the stock settings, and I'm satisfied.
On the F450, F550, and S800 Evo I tend to have them set at the lowest numbers that let the craft fly around and not appear to swim around.
For example, the F450 is:
140/140/140/140
100/100

Have you tried pinching the sticks instead of thumb flying?
You might realize a little more precise yaw control with pinch...

Also, adjust the stick lengths to be as long as possible to gain a little more travel of the sticks...
Bet you didn't know that you could do that...
2014-10-9
Use props
nfatoys
lvl.3

United States

Yes, I've tried that with little success.  As I've gotten older I've lost a lot of fine motor control in my hands.   I’ve had better luck just pushing my thumb down on the face of the controller and rocking it side to side by rolling my thumb.  But it still only provides marginally better results.
2014-10-9
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

nfatoys@hotmail Posted at 2014-10-10 00:03
Yes, I've tried that with little success.  As I've gotten older I've lost a lot of fine motor contro ...

I'm no spring chick either....
Do you use a Tx strap like I do with the Phantom Tx?
On every other Tx but Phantom, I use a Tx tray as well.
They REALLY help!
2014-10-9
Use props
nfatoys
lvl.3

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-10 00:47
I'm no spring chick either....
Do you use a Tx strap like I do with the Phantom Tx?
On every othe ...

I do use a neck strap to stabilize the Phantoms Remote.   But I'm not familiar with a Transmitter Tray.  I'm new at this.  I only received my P2 less than two months ago, so I'm still coming up to speed on all the accessories.
2014-10-9
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Really all that's needed is a delicate touch on the controls.
I started a very slow 360 the other day, but got board after over a minute waiting for it to come back round and zoomed off........
2014-10-9
Use props
nfatoys
lvl.3

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-10 02:49
Really all that's needed is a delicate touch on the controls.
I started a very slow 360 the other da ...

And you probably do that very well.  Also, I'm pretty sure that I can write computer programs much faster and with fewer bugs than you can.  But how do either of these statements help me out with the question I asked?   I'm looking for a solution to a problem.   The fact you can overcome the problem because of your Phantom piloting skills is great, but it doesn't do me or anyone else here any good who doesn't have the delicate touch you've mastered.
2014-10-9
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
United States

nfatoys@hotmail Posted at 2014-10-10 02:01
I do use a neck strap to stabilize the Phantoms Remote.   But I'm not familiar with a Transmitter  ...

To get started looking at what's available go here:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/ ... om+transmitter+tray
I use the Secraft tray, hand rests and harness with my Futaba 14SG...
2014-10-9
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

nfatoys@hotmail Posted at 2014-10-10 04:54
And you probably do that very well.  Also, I'm pretty sure that I can write computer programs much ...

Thanks for that
I was just saying that the controls are proportional, so the more you move them the faster it rotates, you just need to be gentle with them for smooth results....
People have fitted variable gain controls to the phantom transmitter in the past that would probably help, but I will let you use your computing skills to find the details...
2014-10-9
Use props
scoobysteve
New

United States

nfatoys@hotmail Posted at 2014-10-10 04:54
And you probably do that very well.  Also, I'm pretty sure that I can write computer programs much ...

I am too looking into this and have come up with a schematic to disable the stock yaw control joystick (temporary) and move to a preset value (the same as slightly left or right but fixed. It can be achieved with 2 resistors and 2 DPDT switches. Switch 1 turns off the stock yaw control and depending on which setting S2 is set too, when S1 is flicked the craft will yaw to the left very slowly or right depending on S2 position. Just flick S1 back to normal and craft will be controlled as normal.

See schematic, I have only just got my P2V+ and really would like to do this but time prevails plus I don't yet know the value of the joystick Pot to work out the 2 resistor values.

SlowTurn.png
2014-12-3
Use props
gsp171
lvl.3

United States

I run attitude gain of 200% pitch and 80% roll, I like the slow roll, the fast jerky roll make for terrible videos and SHE get pissed to see it in my vids, makes her sick
2014-12-3
Use props
knarfboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 494508 ft
  • >>>
Germany

See here, more easy:

2014-12-4
Use props
zavnok
New

Switzerland

Great post thanks !
2015-1-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

knarfboy Posted at 2014-12-4 19:42
See here, more easy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSpw_Ar1HZc

Great information on the yaw control.
2015-1-11
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

gsp171@mchsi.co Posted at 2014-12-4 13:42
I run attitude gain of 200% pitch and 80% roll, I like the slow roll, the fast jerky roll make for t ...

can you show your gains in naza mode? when you lower the gains the copter has problems to hold its altitude i guess. Im interested in lower gains because it can remove vibrations and jello effects
2015-3-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Last night while flying I did some experiments with yaw as I too thought it was just too fast.  I found that with a twitch movement of the control and held there gave a nice slow yaw.  By twitch I mean just a slight movement - enough to get yaw started.  Then held in that position and the Phantom did a nice slow rotation.
2015-3-17
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-9 23:22
Gains affect the time it takes for the airframe to respond.
They do not affect the speed of the resp ...

Tj, have you used the EXPO on your Futaba?  I have the Futaba 8 and heard about EXPO.  I too want smooth pans which is one reason I upgraded my RC unit.  Any help is appreciated.
2015-3-17
Use props
davidw63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

gsp171@mchsi.co Posted at 2014-12-4 13:42
I run attitude gain of 200% pitch and 80% roll, I like the slow roll, the fast jerky roll make for t ...

I have mine set at 100% but I feel that its effecting its ability to stay in one place when it "hovers". It seems to wander around to much even with 10 and more sat locked on.
2015-3-17
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

As TJ said, you can turn out the knurled knob on the end of the transmitter stick to make it longer, hence less sensitive with a longer throw.

The knob is a two piece affair with the lower half used as a jam nut.

Works great to perform slow pans for me.  But I also have been flying RC for some years, and yes you do get a better feel with more time on the sticks.
2015-3-17
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

See here, more easy:

I did that mod to my controller and it worked well. Here is where I put the switch and how I labeled it.
Link
2015-3-17
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

See here, more easy:

Thanks knarf, going to be busy this weekend
2015-3-17
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

davidw63@comcas Posted at 2015-3-18 01:29
I have mine set at 100% but I feel that its effecting its ability to stay in one place when it "ho ...

and the other gains?

i mean for example like this 100% - 100% - 120% - 200%
                                                   200% - 200%

what are your complete gains and do you use Naza M Mode? Does it removed the jello effect from the zenmuse H3-3D?

2015-3-19
Use props
davidw63
lvl.3
United States

I dont know. Im experimenting so far. I have the P2Vision (one with the up down camera). I dont have a fancy gimbal on mine. I know the default values are 260%. Tonight I set them back to 240% because I think it is having issues with it holding position in wind, etc when you let go of the sticks.
2015-3-19
Use props
davidw63
lvl.3
United States

I just unscrewed my knobs (longer) quite a bit. Since im a "Amature" it may not help much.. LOL.
2015-3-19
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

davidw63@comcas Posted at 2015-3-20 09:08
I just unscrewed my knobs (longer) quite a bit. Since im a "Amature" it may not help much.. LOL.

I am definitely going to do the resistor mod, no screwing or unscrewing around here (at least not with those nobs!)
2015-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules