decent control question
1224 10 2017-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans54f0f2c3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46788 ft
United Kingdom

hi everyone, im learning really quick how to use my P3S mostly by using the tutorials on the DJI youtube channel (all watched twice before i opened the box) and also reading forums which have been super helpful.
so i apologise now if this has been asked before but i did search and could find the answer.

the tutorials state that to shut off the motors on the P3S you move both sticks down and in, this really puts them in a position that you are unlikely ever to need in normal flying, so accidents should be unlikely. but my controller has a 'click lock' on the bottom on the left stick which kills the engine. this makes decents very nervous as i try desperately not to go past the click.

my questions are:-
does the drone know if iys in the air and will disable the motor cut?
if it does cut out can they be restarted?

thanks for any advice.
2017-3-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

First thing is to say NEVER use the 'both sticks down and in' method to shut down the aircraft, you will very likely flip it over. Yes, I know the manual says to do it - but don't.

Next, it is OK that the left stick clicks down, just descend using the left stick and when the aircraft touches down, keep the left stick down for 3 seconds and the motors will shut off. This is the safe way to do it.

The click position is not an issue, if it clicks in, just push it out again.

The aircraft knows when it is on the ground and OK to stop the motors because it can detect that it has stopped descending. It will not shut down in the air if you have the left stick fully down.

No, the general opinion is the motors cannont be restarted unless you are above about 500 feet when you shut the motors down, most people are not willing to try it for obvious reasons.
2017-3-26
Use props
fans54f0f2c3
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-26 13:49
First thing is to say NEVER use the 'both sticks down and in' method to shut down the aircraft, you will very likely flip it over. Yes, I know the manual says to do it - but don't.

Next, it is OK that the left stick clicks down, just descend using the left stick and when the aircraft touches down, keep the left stick down for 3 seconds and the motors will shut off. This is the safe way to do it.

thank you so much for the info, i thought DJI would have some sort of fail safe to account for this but didn't want to try myself to find out. thanks for the heads up on the both stick option to shut the motors. i did this on the first flight and exactly what you said happened.
so if im descending from a good height i can use the click lock to come down at the quickest speed without worry of powering off.
2017-3-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fans54f0f2c3 Posted at 2017-3-26 14:00
thank you so much for the info, i thought DJI would have some sort of fail safe to account for this but didn't want to try myself to find out. thanks for the heads up on the both stick option to shut the motors. i did this on the first flight and exactly what you said happened.
so if im descending from a good height i can use the click lock to come down at the quickest speed without worry of powering off.

'so if im descending from a good height i can use the click lock to come down at the quickest speed without worry of powering off.'

Yes, you can.
2017-3-26
Use props
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1821880 ft
United States

You may be able to try some of these actions in the simulator and observe the results. Worth a try.
2017-3-27
Use props
fans54f0f2c3
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Trailblazer5715 Posted at 2017-3-27 05:54
You may be able to try some of these actions in the simulator and observe the results. Worth a try.

probably going to sound very dumb but where do i find the simulator? is it in the app store?
2017-3-29
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

fans54f0f2c3 Posted at 2017-3-29 02:50
probably going to sound very dumb but where do i find the simulator? is it in the app store?

Your drone has to be powered on and connected to the remote
In the app at the top right corner there's an icon which you press and you can select the simulator there (I think DJI changed the name from simulator to tutorial in latest versions of DJI GO)
2017-3-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

First you need to connect and power up display, RC and aircraft (with no props fitted). For the simulator to work the aircraft must be powered up, this is a DJI requirement.

When you first open DJI Go (The front page that allows you to select aircraft), there is an icon on top right of page, tap on that and you should then get an option to go to 'Academy'. Click on that and you will see the 'flight sim' option on the page. From there you will see the flight sim screen appear and you can then 'arm' the virtual motors and fly in the virtual world. You can try out most of the commands (including motor shut down at 500 feet ) and some of the intelligent flight modes in this virtual world.
2017-3-29
Use props
Trailblazer5715
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1821880 ft
United States

There is an icon in the upper right corner of the DJI GO app that looks like a 3D box. It is a good place to try things and also experiment with intelligent flight modes (waypoints, POI, etc)
2017-3-29
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

fans54f0f2c3 Posted at 2017-3-26 14:00

I believe the click you have is only on your Standard RC. The Advanced and PRO don't have that. There is actually a metal clip inside of the RC that causes that "Click" and locks the that left stick down. I was never really sure what the real purpose was for that, but it is for sure intentional and maybe it helps you shut off the motors that way by keeping the stick down. I know the first time I felt that I thought something was catching inside of the RC, and yes it was but DJI put it there! LOL.
Like Geebax says, the aircraft still knows it is in the air, but never use the 2-sticks inward or outward to shut off the motors, the bird will flip. A lot of conversation about that procedure. To date, I have never used or intend to do a CSC
2017-3-29
Use props
fans54f0f2c3
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks all for the great instructions and information.
2017-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules