First crash P3S
1523 9 2017-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Churubusco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36 ft

United States

Did not follow my own process resulting in the only crash I have ever had with either of my Phantoms. Checked UAV forecast prior to flight. It recommended not to fly due to precipitation. All other conditions favorable. It looked as though the rain was still some time away, so I took a few test flights then launched my longest mission yet. 1/3 of the way into the mission it started raining hard. I immediately initiated home return. It worked flawless. All that remained was bringing it down 250 feet manually. In a haste and my glasses so wet I could not differentiate orientation of the aircraft I got within a few feet of the ground and grazed a pine tree branch, causing aircraft to fall to the ground.Test flight after rain stopped confirmed no damage. Had the aircraft been any further in its mission the hard rain probably would have caused motor or electronic failure before it made it back. Moral of story always stick to a known safe flying process.
2017-3-26
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I would not describe that as a crash, it's more of an unplanned flora interaction.
2017-3-26
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-26 14:19
I would not describe that as a crash, it's more of an unplanned flora interaction.

Now that's funny right there.
2017-3-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Funny - in almost two years of reading drone posts, I have yet to read one post about a drone going down due to rain.  Maybe that's because nobody flies in the rain?  I know some of us have gotten caught in it by accident, but I'm still waiting to hear about one going down due to rain.

Here's my rain flight:  

2017-3-26
Use props
tkflyfisher7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 150164 ft
United States

I would not describe that as a crash, it's more of an unplanned flora interaction......BWAHHHAAAHHH!  Good one,
2017-3-26
Use props
outdoorlife5
lvl.1
United States

mark the droner
How did you get that distance?
2017-3-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your cautionary tale to better help others.
2017-3-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

outdoorlife5 Posted at 2017-3-30 17:27
mark the droner
How did you get that distance?

Lots of mods.  

Here's one I just put together yesterday and haven't even tried out yet...

image hosting over 2mb

2017-3-31
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I did 4.55km today distance.. just short of 15000 ft on my P3S with Argtek. No rain though lol

4.55km DISTANCE 31 MAR 2017.jpg
2017-3-31
Use props
eliot may
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

Thats an alternative landing!
2017-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now