Video Stops Recording
4879 19 2017-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoadHazard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58609 ft
United States

For no apparent reason, the video on my P3S often stops recording in mid-flight. Sometimes more than once.

I first noticed this after a particularly nice flight (naturally), only to get back home and find out that the recording was only about 15 seconds long and included just the initial takeoff. Other times, I've seen it stop recording in midair, a few minutes into the flight. I can tap the REC button on my iPhone to start a new recording, but why should I?

Any hints? I get the usual "interference" messages, but these shouldn't affect recording. And sometmes the live video feed on my phone is blocky, choppy, or delayed, but again, this shouldn't affect recording to the SD card. And I'm pretty sure I'm not accidentally tapping the REC button and turning it off with my thumb.

2017-3-28
Use props
Stone Stomper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57953 ft
Australia

Hi,

I had the same issue on the weekend with the video stopping quickly with going pixelated then black recording, tried clearing the caches and seem to work fine last night flying in the back garden.

Christian
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Those sound like two different things. For the recording stopping, can you try a different SD card.
For the choppy video, it may be your device does not have the processing power to fully run the app.
Also, make sure no other apps are running in the background.
Here are the recommended devices.

iOS Version v3.1.5.
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus,iPod touch 6,iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus.
Android Version v3.1.4.
Requires Android 4.1.2 or later.Compatible with Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, LG V20, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.
2017-3-28
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

When was the last time you formatted the SD card? I had the same problem with my Advanced  last year until I realised I had been taking video and pics off the card for months and not formatting the card. I then formatted the SD card in the Phantom...not the computer and have had no problems since.I just format the card just about everytime I fly...all good !!!
2017-3-28
Use props
Stone Stomper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 57953 ft
Australia

Cool, thanks I have an iPhone 5s with the latest app and also formatted the card before I flew last night so that may of helped also.

Christian
2017-3-28
Use props
RoadHazard
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the tips. I'll try formatting the SD card to see if that makes any difference.

Speaking as a lifelong computer nerd, I'd be pretty disappointed if formatting fixes the problem. That tells me that DJI's firmware engineers aren't very good at their jobs, if it's necessary to regularly re-format the memory card. That's just bad, sloppy programming.
2017-4-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

RoadHazard Posted at 2017-4-3 08:02
Thanks for the tips. I'll try formatting the SD card to see if that makes any difference.

Speaking as a lifelong computer nerd, I'd be pretty disappointed if formatting fixes the problem. That tells me that DJI's firmware engineers aren't very good at their jobs, if it's necessary to regularly re-format the memory card. That's just bad, sloppy programming.

Just to clarify, are you using the stock SD card that came with the unit or a larger aftermarket one?
2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RoadHazard Posted at 2017-4-3 08:02

'Speaking as a lifelong computer nerd, I'd be pretty disappointed if formatting fixes the problem. That tells me that DJI's firmware engineers aren't very good at their jobs, if it's necessary to regularly re-format the memory card. That's just bad, sloppy programming.'

No, it is not sloppy programming. We haven't even discussed whther your SD card is up to the job, what one is it?

Writing a 4K stream to the card is a tough job, especially when the card becomes fragmented, which by the way can happen to an SD card just as easily as a hard drive. If the card is borderline in terms of writing speed, it can result in exactly what you describe. Formatting sets the file allocation table back to its initial state, and should be done regularly if you want the SD card to perform at its maximum speed.
2017-4-3
Use props
Knobbynomates
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-3 14:01
'Speaking as a lifelong computer nerd, I'd be pretty disappointed if formatting fixes the problem. That tells me that DJI's firmware engineers aren't very good at their jobs, if it's necessary to regularly re-format the memory card. That's just bad, sloppy programming.'

No, it is not sloppy programming. We haven't even discussed whther your SD card is up to the job, what one is it?

Also speaking as a lifelong computer nerd I'd say Geebax is correct
2017-4-4
Use props
RoadHazard
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-3 14:01

It's the one that the factory sent me with the Phantom. So, yeah, I'd say that if the factory-supplied hardware can't keep up with the factory-supplied software, that's pretty lousy code.
2017-4-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RoadHazard Posted at 2017-4-4 19:39
It's the one that the factory sent me with the Phantom. So, yeah, I'd say that if the factory-supplied hardware can't keep up with the factory-supplied software, that's pretty lousy code.

Not if you have a seriously fragmented card, it then falls upon you to format the card to maintain peak performance. I know of several high end cameras that also suffer from the same problem.
2017-4-5
Use props
RoadHazard
lvl.1
United States

Okay, thanks for the tip. I wouldn't have thought of it myself. I'll try reformatting the SD card to see if things get any better.
2017-4-5
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

I'm so upset at the moment.  I'm in the same boat as well.  I took some good footage on my Phantom 3 Standard today, and nothing but a 15-second blank video was saved to my genuine Sandisk Class 10  64GB SD card which was formatted in the craft.  That was some epic footage that I just can't get back of a local sporting event.   My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has the choppy low-resolution version saved, but I can't use it due to the poor quality.    I had this same issue with the stock 8GB SD card that came with the unit, so I upgraded to the 64 GB version.

Today, I've been plagued with the drone quietly "stopping" the recording (where I don't get the beep informing me of this).  My phone's volume is maxed out, as I still hear the other warning notifications clearly.
The unit records for about 8 seconds, then mysteriously stops recording.  If keeps doing it even when I fly the craft back to me in a 10-foot range, so I know it isn't a reception issue. I'll get 15 seconds of recording (on my phone) then it stops recording.

For the entire day today that I flew through 9 battery packs and recorded all of them, I only have 15 seconds of a blank-black footage that's not even playable.  Synchronising my flights only reveals 3 flights, where did the other 6 go?   I can't believe I have nothing recorded for today's activity.
2020-5-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Anonymous1 Posted at 5-25 17:36
I'm so upset at the moment.  I'm in the same boat as well.  I took some good footage on my Phantom 3 Standard today, and nothing but a 15-second blank video was saved to my genuine Sandisk Class 10  64GB SD card which was formatted in the craft.  That was some epic footage that I just can't get back of a local sporting event.   My Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has the choppy low-resolution version saved, but I can't use it due to the poor quality.    I had this same issue with the stock 8GB SD card that came with the unit, so I upgraded to the 64 GB version.

Today, I've been plagued with the drone quietly "stopping" the recording (where I don't get the beep informing me of this).  My phone's volume is maxed out, as I still hear the other warning notifications clearly.

Normally I would say the most likely problem is that the SD card is not fast enough in its write speed. But if it is recording nothing but a black image, there is something else at play here. Try experimenting with recording while the aircraft is sitting on the ground, you do not need to fly to record a video.
2020-5-25
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

What filformat should have  the SD-card with 64 GB extFAT32,right? Did you format with this or FAT32 only??
2020-8-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Peterx Posted at 8-6 11:32
What filformat should have  the SD-card with 64 GB extFAT32,right? Did you format with this or FAT32 only??

What format you use is not important if you use the formatting utility built into the aircraft, it knows exactly which one to use. BTW, the answer is plain old FAT32.
2020-8-6
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Then he´ll lose 32GB of 64 of the card,or does the cam can handle multidrive?
2020-8-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Peterx Posted at 8-7 11:01
Then he´ll lose 32GB of 64 of the card,or does the cam can handle multidrive?

This topic is for a P3 Standard. As far as I recall, the maximum card size for a P3S is 32GB.
2020-8-7
Use props
PilotRadar
New
Flight distance : 323199 ft
United States

After a couple of minutes flying & video-recording my P3S, the button beeps off.  I have to restart it several times.  After downloading from the SD card, I find those videos end in violent jerking then adding black pixels then replaying a few seconds of the same video.  I may only get 2 or 3 minutes of useable video after a 15 minute flight.  On a good day, I only lose the last video, usually the landing sequence.  I'm going to try reformatting the 32g SD card like someone mentioned below.  Otherwise, my stopgap measure has been to intentionally stop the video, take a photo of a scene I don't want to lose, then restart the video while I reposition the bird.  Seems really strange that even though it's just a few dozen feet away from me while landing, the last video still gets zapped away.
2020-12-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PilotRadar Posted at 12-20 20:34
After a couple of minutes flying & video-recording my P3S, the button beeps off.  I have to restart it several times.  After downloading from the SD card, I find those videos end in violent jerking then adding black pixels then replaying a few seconds of the same video.  I may only get 2 or 3 minutes of useable video after a 15 minute flight.  On a good day, I only lose the last video, usually the landing sequence.  I'm going to try reformatting the 32g SD card like someone mentioned below.  Otherwise, my stopgap measure has been to intentionally stop the video, take a photo of a scene I don't want to lose, then restart the video while I reposition the bird.  Seems really strange that even though it's just a few dozen feet away from me while landing, the last video still gets zapped away.

It sounds like your SD card is not fast enough. Ty using a Sandisk Extreme Pro card.
2020-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules