Why is DJI promoting vloggers that fly illegally?
12Next >
6624 54 2017-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4780 ft
Canada

There is a certain someone who has over 6 million subscribers who received yesterday 3 P4Ps to give away in a promotion.  This person is constantly flying over buildings, people and high density housing.  Does this mean if I put out a vlog I can do all this and get away with it too?    DJI sends this person drone after drone after drone after he loses them, crashes them and is just plain careless with them.  And those are for his own use!  Then there's all the drones he's already given away and now 3 more P4Ps.  Why doesn't the FAA shut him down and why does DJI continue to promote him?  Today, he was teaching a 12 year old how to fly in the middle of Miami.  No mention of rules or regs other than watch out for those trees!  How many 12 year olds are watching and learning the wrong things.  DJI!  Find yourself a new promoter who doesn't break the law and makes the rest of us look bad.  Now I could be wrong.  Maybe he has all his paperwork in place but it would be pretty difficult to do as he flies around the world using his drone in whatever city he happens to be in.  If I'm wrong, I'll apologize.  
2017-3-28
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4856 ft
United States

Casey Neistat?
2017-3-28
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

whats the guy name??
2017-3-28
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

whats the guy name??
2017-3-28
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Canada

Yes, Casey Neistat..  Seems he's above the law with his celebrity status and it just really bugs me.  And that's putting it in very nice terms because I'm on a forum!
2017-3-29
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Canada

Glimmerman Posted at 2017-3-28 19:21
Yep. DJI promotes illegal behavior with Casey Neistat. You should write the head of DJI legal:
Brendan.Schulman@dji.com and ask why he tolerates DJI working against his lobbying for DJI... quite oxymoronic.

Good idea!  Anybody else want to join in and write Brendan Schulman? We have so few places to fly but Casey has the world!
2017-3-29
Use props
ems12a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 555863 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does he even have a drone license?

I have watched a few of his videos and he does flaunt the rules.

Flying in New York City is one of them lol.

He had one where his Mavic Pro went BVLOS in the city and crashed in the Hudson.

I hate Forum Drone cops as much as the next guy but where is the line?
2017-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Drone Lady Posted at 2017-3-29 08:20
Good idea!  Anybody else want to join in and write Brendan Schulman? We have so few places to fly but Casey has the world!

If the FAA are not bothered why should dji, how much of the stuff he does is Fake...

I mean if he is breaking the law then surely it's up to citizens and the law in US to do something about him, my belief is much of what he does and says is fake.
2017-3-29
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

I like Casey Neistat's drone vlogs
I actually got into drones partially thanks to his drone vlogs so I don't mind him being promoted​
2017-3-29
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Canada

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-29 09:05
I actually got into drones partially thanks to his drone vlogs so I don't mind him being promoted​

I like Casey's vlog as well.  I just want to see him promote drones responsibly.  He's part of the reason why we all get slapped with all the ridiculous rules we have to follow.  There are obvious safety reasons why we are not supposed to fly over people and close to buildings, or over 400 ft.  Fly where it is safe and legal.  We all have to share the airspace.
2017-3-29
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

As much as I hate pitchforks, Drone Lady is right.  By DJI providing Casey Neistat drones, they are essentially approving of his work.  Why wait until he drops one on someone's head and THEN publically deny that you knew he was doing things like this?  Just don't provide him anything.  It is beyond odd that a company who is inseparably tied to local regulations would purposely provide their hardware to a person who is doing things that are clearly against regulation and defiantly begs for FAA retaliation.  It's a bad look.  As it has been said in this very thread - some people actually come to DJI drones by watching his terrible example.  How scary is that regarding the legal climate around drones in the future?  

THAT BEING SAID - I have no evidence DJI is providing him drones.  I am simply assuming he is not lying when he says they do.
2017-3-29
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom3ProPilo Posted at 2017-3-29 09:05

Same. Even when he's doing it the wrong way, it's getting DJI more attention/customers. I don't see them pulling their support, even if it would be the responsible thing to to.
2017-3-29
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Drone Lady Posted at 2017-3-29 09:37
I like Casey's vlog as well.  I just want to see him promote drones responsibly.  He's part of the reason why we all get slapped with all the ridiculous rules we have to follow.  There are obvious safety reasons why we are not supposed to fly over people and close to buildings, or over 400 ft.  Fly where it is safe and legal.  We all have to share the airspace.

Not sure if you guys have seen Casey actually ststed in one of his last vlogs that he is working to promote safe flying of drones and what in the past is in the past and hes moving forward.
2017-3-29
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19928 ft
United States

It doesn't change the fact he is an opportunist scumbag.  He would NOT have gotten where he is without the "get away with it if you can" ignorant and stupid mentality.

He is NOT the kind of role model ANYONE should aspire to, yet so many do because it is "hip/cool" and in reality he is the type that any decent person would rather he be arrested for all the stupidity.  No better than the Kardashian-esque scum that think the rules don't apply to them because they "set the trend".

He is doing nothing more than lining his pockets and laughing at the stupidity of humanity.  And I feel sorry for those that feel he is to be idolized.  Morons like that should be shunned and ignored.
2017-3-29
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I agree with Drone Lady. And there are complaints on Youtube as well:

2017-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Although dji are giving CN the drones, its CN breaking the law in the US, is there not an onus on the part of law and order in the US to sort out what almost everyone here is saying is illegal. Or is it..
2017-3-29
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Canada

Eric13 Posted at 2017-3-29 11:11
I agree with Drone Lady. And there are complaints on Youtube as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmylUNkeIGw

Thanks for sharing Eric13!  Ditto everything they said!  DJI you better sit up and pay attention!  I've noticed no one from DJI has responded yet.  
2017-3-29
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Canada

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-3-29 10:44
Not sure if you guys have seen Casey actually ststed in one of his last vlogs that he is working to promote safe flying of drones and what in the past is in the past and hes moving forward.

I'd love a link to that one.  I'd love to see his super powers used for good!
2017-3-29
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

The guy is literally a moron.
2017-3-29
Use props
Drone Lady
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-29 12:43
Although dji are giving CN the drones, its CN breaking the law in the US, is there not an onus on the part of law and order in the US to sort out what almost everyone here is saying is illegal. Or is it..

It is not up to DJI to police what people do with their products.  Just as it's not up to Ford to go after people who use their cars recklessly.  However, when they know full well he is promoting illegal use of their product and continue to hand over free drones, I think there should be some ethics involved.  Just like I would hope Ford would not hand over free Mustangs to people drag racing on city streets and flaunting it day after day after day on YouTube.
2017-3-29
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

He's talking about drones and safety @2:00
2017-3-29
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Drone Lady Posted at 2017-3-29 12:47
I'd love a link to that one.  I'd love to see his super powers used for good!

At about 2:10

2017-3-29
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

beat me to it lol.
2017-3-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drone Lady Posted at 2017-3-29 12:52
It is not up to DJI to police what people do with their products.  Just as it's not up to Ford to go after people who use their cars recklessly.  However, when they know full well he is promoting illegal use of their product and continue to hand over free drones, I think there should be some ethics involved.  Just like I would hope Ford would not hand over free Mustangs to people drag racing on city streets and flaunting it day after day after day on YouTube.

Look I'm in agreement on what I view on you tube it all looks illegal, but if you can seee it and I can see it it begs the question why has he not been charged,
Maybe we're seeing what he wants us to see the bad boy stuff, but many have been fooled by lots of fake stuff going on, we are living in an era where it's becoming harder to know what's fake and what's not.

It just seems crazy that there is so much evidence out there against this guy, but not one charge not one arrest not one fine court case, if it's ok with US police authorities and the FAA, why would it not be alright with dji.
It seems to me like we don't know who's fooling who.
It also needs to be said dji has said on this forum that they don't give CN free merchandise.
2017-3-29
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I actually searched and found some of his videos.

What a pleasure it was to watch them, though not as much fun as listening to screeching chalk while having fillings done at the dentist.
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

This post makes me laugh. Some of us on this forum, have done nothing but promote good will, and offer no end in helping others.

What we get for a just reward, is frowned upon.

RedHotPoker

2017-3-29
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-3-29 11:09
It doesn't change the fact he is an opportunist scumbag.  He would NOT have gotten where he is without the "get away with it if you can" ignorant and stupid mentality.

He is NOT the kind of role model ANYONE should aspire to, yet so many do because it is "hip/cool" and in reality he is the type that any decent person would rather he be arrested for all the stupidity.  No better than the Kardashian-esque scum that think the rules don't apply to them because they "set the trend".

Is your opinion based just on his Youtube channel? Exclude what he does with drones and really look at his history and you might conclude he got where he is from talent, vision, and hard work. He's been around far longer than his Youtube days and he does far more than vlog. He is not a one-trick pony. His youtube channel does not embody the whole of what he has offered in film and media.
2017-3-30
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-29 12:43

Exactly what I was thinking.
2017-3-30
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-29 15:10
This post makes me laugh. Some of us on this forum, have done nothing but promote good will, and offer no end in helping others.

What we get for a just reward, is frowned upon.

This is true!
2017-3-30
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

Whatever he has accomplished doesn't change the fact that he acts in an irresponsible, c0cky, ignorant and unjustifiable manner.

Especially because of what he has accomplished he should act like he has some basic damn respect for EVERYONE ELSE!  Not some overly privileged, pseudo-boarder, "cooler-than-all", c0cky as hell, "life is just AWESOME since I live by my OWN RULES!" moron.

People like that are wh0res... They pimp what pays them, no heart, no soul, complete sellout.  And everyone admires the ignorance because they "are making the MONEY!".

Perfect example of what is wrong with ignorant attitudes.  We need MUCH less of that stuff, more people with real heart.

Oh, and when he gets killed weaving his powered board in/out of traffic, I will just laugh... Those that have it all act reckless to "keep up the appearances".  Real smart for a guy that "worked hard to get where he is"... Obviously he hasn't worked hard enough, otherwise he would be worried about losing what he has, his life, his freedom, etc...
2017-3-30
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Very difficult issue... I too subscribed to CN's channel...  The hard handling of stuff, throwing stuff, breaking it and seemingly not appreciating it etc. irritates me.  In the big picture he has overcome a lot of issues and really found a niche - that is why millions like to follow him.  Regarding the flying of DJI drones over buildings / people.... wrong or right - he is not the only one.  Have you done it?  Are you or going to... somewhere in the future?  I have.  The thing is that drone laws are in some cases so restrictive and maybe stupid (look at Canada!) that people flying drones are marginalized - pushed out to the outer limits of civilization.  Maybe a kind of "rebellion" is awakening?  Look at all the fools on motorcycles, cars, boats...  this is how humans are in many cases.

I'm not defending anyone or anything - I just say that it gets more difficult daily to just pitch your little bit of happiness and life - either way: because of foolish politicians or foolish people.  Somewhere in between we must (happily) live.
2017-3-30
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-3-30 04:12
Whatever he has accomplished doesn't change the fact that he acts in an irresponsible, c0cky, ignorant and unjustifiable manner.

Especially because of what he has accomplished he should act like he has some basic damn respect for EVERYONE ELSE!  Not some overly privileged, pseudo-boarder, "cooler-than-all", c0cky as hell, "life is just AWESOME since I live by my OWN RULES!" moron.

So, you'll just laugh when someone loses his life, yet you label HIM the scumbag. I see.
2017-3-30
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I will just say this - I believe that something DID happen to make him stop and say he is going to stop flying irresponsibly as stated in the one video. He addressed how he has been careless in flying and is stepping up to the plate, I will give him a chance to do so. He is one of the people that got me interested in drones as well - and yes he HAS definitely pulled off some crazy things with his flights. As for the video with the kid, he didn't let the kid launch or land the drone and from what I can see the kid was at least 150 feet off the ground when he was controlling the P4P.  I am also certain that Casey is changing his tune because the FAA could be coming down on him for possibly not having a part 107.. He is profiting off his videos, and his drone footage is used in the videos contributing to his profit and that is considered using the footage for profit (aka making a commercial venture).
2017-3-30
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-30 04:46
I will just say this - I believe that something DID happen to make him stop and say he is going to stop flying irresponsibly as stated in the one video. He addressed how he has been careless in flying and is stepping up to the plate, I will give him a chance to do so. He is one of the people that got me interested in drones as well - and yes he HAS definitely pulled off some crazy things with his flights. As for the video with the kid, he didn't let the kid launch or land the drone and from what I can see the kid was at least 150 feet off the ground when he was controlling the P4P.  I am also certain that Casey is changing his tune because the FAA could be coming down on him for possibly not having a part 107.. He is profiting off his videos, and his drone footage is used in the videos contributing to his profit and that is considered using the footage for profit (aka making a commercial venture).

Good theories! That would make a lot of sense.
2017-3-30
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-30 04:46

Good point.  So even by "going clean" he is still breaking FAA regulations.

Real class act.
2017-3-30
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-3-30 05:08
Good point.  So even by "going clean" he is still breaking FAA regulations.

Real class act.

I don't see where he wasn't being unsafe in the videos since? Even in his Miami footage...
2017-3-30
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

Him deciding to "be responsible" doesn't really even matter.  It is no different than the drug dealer turned into rap artist that openly admits they got the money for their productions from slinging drugs.  They all deserve to have NOTHING!

I say all the more power to people that work hard, in a responsible, ethical and moral manner and accomplish great things... To the scum that take shortcuts at the expense of everyone else, they don't deserve anything, since they are scum.  CN TOTALLY fits this.

He is ONLY popular because of marketing... It is truly one of the major causes of issues in modern society.  Too much glamorizing illegal, unethical and immoral actions/activities, which is only being done for someone to make a buck.  No responsibility for companies, they only care about exposure and sales, and at what expense to everyone else?

And parents are a big part of the problem as well, instead of raising their kids with some decency and understanding and intelligence, they themselves are stuck watching stupidity and ohhing and ahhing with their friends like they are still in high school.  Gotta love Facebook/youtube for being the excuse why people haven't really grown up in the past 15-20 years.  Again, all marketing...
2017-3-30
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-30 05:28
I don't see where he wasn't being unsafe in the videos since? Even in his Miami footage...

He's making money from selling drone footage, likely without a 107.  That's what I was referring to.
2017-3-30
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-3-30 04:26
So, you'll just laugh when someone loses his life, yet you label HIM the scumbag. I see.

When someone irresponsibly is setting an example that could cost someone ELSE their life (especially children) doing actions that are reckless and uncalled for (like his powerboarding through and around traffic IN THE STREET) then HE is giving up his life.

I would just feel sorry for whomever would be the unlucky person to not see him and hit him.  It would be horrible for that person to have that be on their conscience.

Why should *I* feel bad when someone is doing something reckless to make a buck because he looks "cool"???  That is stupidity at its worst.

I just don't want others following such ignorance.  PERIOD!
2017-3-30
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

And not having others act ignorant is the WHOLE POINT of this thread.   The wrong example is being set.

If he is so "remorseful" for all the stupid sh*t, have him delete the videos... There you have it.

If he won't he is a COMPLETE SCUMBAG!
2017-3-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules