Flying in the cargo hold of a bulk carrier...
1465 19 2017-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

Hi,

ok this is a new one for me. I was asked to make a video of a large bulk carrier and after flying around it etc I am supposed to fly into one of its cargo holds. I do not anticipate much problems since the cover is huge and will be open.
But I was wondering if one is supposed (for any reason) to fly essentially inside a large (and this thing is large) metal box how would the Mavic react. No GPS, propably no compass, plenty of light though.
Does anyone have any experience with that sort of situations? Any ideas?

Kostas
2017-3-29
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

The Mavic can do fine with no GPS (assuming you are good in ATTI mode) but the magnetic field disruption would concern me. It can't handle well misleading compass signals.
2017-3-29
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Aside from the feedback you already got here I'd just add that you should seriously consider getting and using a set of prop guards before flying indoors.

2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd too be worried about the interference.
You should use the prop cages just in case.
2017-3-29
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-29 09:07
I'd too be worried about the interference.

Are the prop cages available now?
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-29 09:16

Are the prop cages available now?

No they are currently out of stock
2017-3-29
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

you can get non-dji mavic prop guards though.
2017-3-29
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Snap_Shot Posted at 2017-3-29 09:28
you can get non-dji mavic prop guards though.

Yep, that's why I recommended those. I started to recommend the prop cages (though I've heard no reviews of them) but then I checked and saw that they're still not available. I thought maybe Ken had some inside information on availability, but apparently not.
2017-3-29
Use props
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-29 06:11
Aside from the feedback you already got here I'd just add that you should seriously consider getting and using a set of prop guards before flying indoors.

I do not think that the two forums are linked or even target the same population. If it is important I may add that I did post this question in half a dozen more forums...
That being said I have thought of those prop guards and I will mount them on the drone.

Kostas
2017-3-29
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Get the prop guards, switch to tripod mode, perform a test flight with the plastic gimbal cover on first just to make sure that the drone reacts as you would expect it should react.
2017-3-30
Use props
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-30 00:25
Get the prop guards, switch to tripod mode, perform a test flight with the plastic gimbal cover on first just to make sure that the drone reacts as you would expect it should react.

Thx for the advice CuaC
2017-3-30
Use props
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

Due to a delay in the ships arrival the flight has been postponed for next week... :-(
2017-3-30
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

MacPap Posted at 2017-3-30 09:55
Due to a delay in the ships arrival the flight has been postponed for next week... :-(

Just keep us posted! I'd love to hear about your experience!
2017-3-30
Use props
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-30 23:24
Just keep us posted! I'd love to hear about your experience!

I will. I am excited my self and veeeeeery curious
2017-3-31
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

MacPap Posted at 2017-3-31 02:57
I will. I am excited my self and veeeeeery curious

Ah man, I thought  I was going to see some video, cant wait for next week.
Regards,
-d.
2017-3-31
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
United States

Awhile back I posted a similar request for advice.  I was making a film for a friend who has a vineyard and wanted to fly through the "chai" area (where they have the massive stainless steel tanks on either side and a Colourbond-type steel roof).  I didn't get advice in time for the shoot, so I opted to fly very, very slowly, keeping it low and slow, so that I could set it down ASAP if things went awry. I also made sure no one was anywhere nearby. In any event, it all went very well.  
So you can see the environment and tanks, I've altered the exposure on a still from the video below, as I had the settings adjusted to compensate for the brightness coming outside as I exited the chai at the other end.*
Not quite as much steel as you're looking at, though.
Chai.jpg
* No wine was injured in the process of the making of this video.
2017-3-31
Use props
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

GMG Posted at 2017-3-31 05:50
Awhile back I posted a similar request for advice.  I was making a film for a friend who has a vineyard and wanted to fly through the "chai" area (where they have the massive stainless steel tanks on either side and a Colourbond-type steel roof).  I didn't get advice in time for the shoot, so I opted to fly very, very slowly, keeping it low and slow, so that I could set it down ASAP if things went awry. I also made sure no one was anywhere nearby. In any event, it all went very well.  
So you can see the environment and tanks, I've altered the exposure on a still from the video below, as I had the settings adjusted to compensate for the brightness coming outside as I exited the chai at the other end.*
Not quite as much steel as you're looking at, though.

Hahahaha no wine was injured....
Great I am really curious how this is going to end
2017-3-31
Use props
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

bunny too Posted at 2017-3-31 03:22
Ah man, I thought  I was going to see some video, cant wait for next week.
Regards,
-d.

Sorry friend I promise ill post part of it I can't do it all.
2017-3-31
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

MacPap Posted at 2017-3-31 16:05
Hahahaha no wine was injured....
Great I am really curious how this is going to end

Good luck with the shoot.  There's nothing like a challenge!
2017-4-2
Use props
MacPap
lvl.2
Greece

For those that helped me with their opinion I have to say  big "I AM SORRY" the job was canceled and I never got to do it. They opted to do it all in dry dock. I am sure another opportunity will present itself and Ill be more than happy to share my "adventure" with you. lol

Again thx all for your input...

Kostas
2017-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules