Nanosync range extender
4711 19 2017-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mewchi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 614931 ft
United States

Has anyone else tried the nanosync 9db range extension antenna?   I was having problems with signal loss in my area due to a lot of wifi noise.  I installed one of these this past weekend and wow.  No signal loss at all, even at over a mile out.    I was just curious what others experience is like.

2017-3-30
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

How frequent was your signal loss prior to the nanosync?   Do you have a link to the nanosync?  How was the install?
2017-3-30
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-3-30 13:08
How frequent was your signal loss prior to the nanosync?   Do you have a link to the nanosync?  How was the install?

Wolfgang,

Your controller would have to be dismantled to be installed
All it is , is a LTE antenna with a small form factor -- They use them with an amplifier to receive and transmit  cell phone signals also WiFi signals in areas with poor reception ---- They do work but they don't cost $100 dollars USA
2017-3-30
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-30 13:26
Wolfgang,

Your controller would have to be dismantled to be installed

Thanks!  Can you comment on often you had signal issues before the Nanosync?
2017-3-30
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-3-30 13:29
Thanks!  Can you comment on often you had signal issues before the Nanosync?

Sorry Wolfgang I don't use one on my mavic -- mine is on my house for Cell phone use
you can do a search nanosync antenna --- it shows you the antenna hooked up to the controller
if you go to a antenna web site you can find them under LTE antenna or cell phone Booster antenna's and they don't cost $100 dollars -- somebody thought up a name and installed it to the Mavic controller
I've seen this B4 they probably install it for you too  
2017-3-30
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Interesting, does this help with magnetic interference?
2017-3-30
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-3-30 13:58
Interesting, does this help with magnetic interference?

No it does not help --  Magnetic Interference is sensed by the AC and affects Compass and GPS
readings .
The Range Extender Boosts the Tx and Rx signals --- The trade off for the extended range is
faster battery drain in the remote controller ( Tx )
Mavics RC battery is 2970mah and the range extender antenna draws 2000mah you can probably
get any where between 4 to 6 flights depending how you fly B4 you have to recharge the RC again.

2017-3-30
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-30 18:46
No it does not help --  Magnetic Interference is sensed by the AC and affects Compass and GPS
readings .
The Range Extender Boosts the Tx and Rx signals --- The trade off for the extended range is

hmm looked at the install of that antenna. There's no power connected to what I assume is a biquad under the plastic. It's using the stock amp it seems.
2017-3-30
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-30 19:24
hmm looked at the install of that antenna. There's no power connected to what I assume is a biquad under the plastic. It's using the stock amp it seems.

You are right , there is no power connection and I believe it is a Dual Band biquad 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz
and the amp is the controller --- when range is increases more power is used   
2017-3-30
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-30 20:13
You are right , there is no power connection and I believe it is a Dual Band biquad 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz
and the amp is the controller --- when range is increases more power is used

Unless the out put of the Controller is under rated --- With a stock range of 4.3 miles I don't think so
2017-3-30
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-30 18:46
readings .

Thanks for the info!
2017-3-31
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

All I can say is that it's useless for CE region. The signal gain is marginally better than stock. there is a good thread at Mavicpilots about findings. The mod is not easy and remote becomes way less portable. I also ended up boosting the TX side since the TX is modded anyway. It looks like a cyborg now.The RX side of the remote is pretty useless to boost (maybe very little gain) since the amp needs to be mounted on the mavic . That is another challenge.
2017-3-31
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-3-31 12:31
All I can say is that it's useless for CE region. The signal gain is marginally better than stock. there is a good thread at Mavicpilots about findings. The mod is not easy and remote becomes way less portable. I also ended up boosting the TX side since the TX is modded anyway. It looks like a cyborg now.The RX side of the remote is pretty useless to boost (maybe very little gain) since the amp needs to be mounted on the mavic . That is another challenge.

MacIak ,

What you said is all true --- the other drawback besides less portability , cyborg looking lollll and only one
sided Boost (Tx) is that it is a Directional antenna and focuses the signal in a narrow Beam, this is the TRUE Big reason how + why it increases the range ///// The Mavic's original antenna's are Omni directional that gives it the (reasonable insane) range of 4.3 miles from all directions of the remote . If you were to put the original Mav's RC antennas on a pole, the signal transmission + reception will be received from
all directions ------ If you were to do the same with the Posted range extender and faced it to the North
and flew the Mavic to the South , East and West it will return to you well B4 it reaches the distance of the Mav's original Stock antennas provided that you have RTH set in your controller if not set say Bye Bye
This is what the Range Extender manufactures and dealers WILL NOT TELL YOU !!!!   
2017-3-31
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

What got  my attention wasn't range increase but less interference. It would be nice to know how effective that is. I suspect what we're seeing here is just the effect of having a more directional antenna.
2017-3-31
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-3-31 18:31
What got  my attention wasn't range increase but less interference. It would be nice to know how effective that is. I suspect what we're seeing here is just the effect of having a more directional antenna.

Being directional, it would benefit from a amp more than likely. I did that with the syma. Stuck a 1w 2.4 amp inside the controller. Powered it with 3 26650 in series. But had to add a couple of antenna to match. One horizonal and verticle, omnis. Modified the antenna inside the little syma as well, some other mods like hover.

Was pretty good, it outdid the fpv camera so it was los as far out as I could go. The yagi's I've made, the biggest was a 20 element. That with a 2w amp can get pretty ridiculous far as wifi goes. Biquad like this design for the rc, not really a good design imo. A amplified yagi is what you want.
2017-3-31
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Belgium

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-31 15:03
MacIak ,

What you said is all true --- the other drawback besides less portability , cyborg looking lollll and only one

The stock antenna's are also directional if im not mistaken. Not as narrow as panel one but still..
Another reason why windsurfer mods fail.
If there was a (panel) antenna type way better, say increasing range by factor 2 like these aftermarket people claim, then im sure DJI engineers would have come up with a foldable design to fit it on the remote and still keep it amazingly portable. But they didn't for a reason.
The Mavic as my 1st drone still amazes me by it's design. As much as I detest DJI CS and their clumsy way of pushing bad firmware updates, I have deep admiration for the engineers that built this amazing thing.

Note: The unboosted Nanosync is as vulnerable to interference as stock. Im getting into signal trouble at exactly the same locations, very predictable. I do not live in a major city, towns and villages area mostly.
I ve done enough testing to come to my conclusions and try to help by sharing. Still have to test over open water, none nearby unfortunately.
2017-4-2
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

MacIak Posted at 2017-4-2 12:03
The stock antenna's are also directional if im not mistaken. Not as narrow as panel one but still..
Another reason why windsurfer mods fail.
If there was a (panel) antenna type way better, say increasing range by factor 2 like these aftermarket people claim, then im sure DJI engineers would have come up with a foldable design to fit it on the remote and still keep it amazingly portable. But they didn't for a reason.

Mac,

Look at the Mavic's Stock antennas --- The left antenna that faces you is flat
The right antenna that faces you is curved ---- Same antennas only 180 degrees opposite of each other
they are Omnidirectional   
2017-4-2
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Netherlands

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-2 14:01
Mac,

Look at the Mavic's Stock antennas --- The left antenna that faces you is flat

That's true. What im talking is the inside of the black plastic sleeves. A stretched H-shape only on the flat side.
2017-4-2
Use props
BIG MAC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384088 ft
United Kingdom

I find that I am suffering serious signal loss at 1000 meter in built up areas or where there is a lot of obstacles in front of me. I have ran a large number of tests. With and without no obstacles in front of me such as a beach, and moving higher up a graded hill, no signal loss at all. I have just purchased the nano sync booster and seen it in action plenty of times; 2.4 miles and 4.1 mile out with only one bar loss, that to me is pretty good.
2017-8-20
Use props
fans340340fe
New

United States

I have a brand new nano sync design for the maverick pro range extender still in box never been used or installed  Will sell for half price of new
2017-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules