Awesome power of wind
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I don't know how it is where you live,  but right now in the mountains of Southern California, we are having winds with sustained gusts exceeding 80mph.  This is supposed to continue for another 6 hours.  
This is important to me, because in the past 8 hours, I have had every window in my house broken,  my 2 big shade trees are no more, my personal property is being sucked out the open windows and going who knows where, so if any of you find any of it,  please send it to me. I am writing this from my basement,  which is mostly secure, and where my best toys are. My actual dirt property is now also airborne and headed for parts unknown, maybe it was lonely for my other stuff.  Did I mention, it's too windy to console myself by flying one of my Phantoms.  If I still have them. Dunno.....  I actually witnessed a large vice I have mounted on a heavy steel pipe which is embedded in a 21 in wheel filled with concrete,  I saw this get blown over the side of the hill behind my house.  I am sort of stunned here.

2017-3-30
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

Santa Ana winds?
2017-3-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Hopefully you continue to be safe all the while.
2017-3-30
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Kneepuck,

Wow, that is nasty!  Be careful, things can get worse.  Take care and let us know how you are doing when you get back on your feet!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Vices are usually taken by the Vice Squad, are they not? Isn't that what they are there for?

Bummer about all the windows, sorry to hear that.
2017-3-31
Use props
bigal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 65771 ft
United Kingdom

That dont sound good at all, Hope your all ok, post and let us know that your ok, glad to say we dont get things as bad as that here in the UK.
2017-4-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

hey man that sounds bad, "Do you have Care Refresh"
2017-4-1
Use props
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing your exciting story.. The highlight of the day here in suburban UK is when the dustmen come and crash the glass in the bottle tubs..
I hope you are ok and focused on the positives.. at least you had internet.. and if you still had a drone afterwards, I hope you took some great footage of the aftermath to share with us folks who lead a less exciting life..  
I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but I am a little jealous.
Hope you are good!
2017-4-1
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Thanks to all for the concern.  Looks like mostly just needing a glazier to come up.  Stuff that got blown away,  well, I probably won't miss it, I guess.  By far the worst wind I have seen since I was in the service on a ship in a hurricane.
2017-4-1
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-4-1 19:45
Thanks to all for the concern.  Looks like mostly just needing a glazier to come up.  Stuff that got blown away,  well, I probably won't miss it, I guess.  By far the worst wind I have seen since I was in the service on a ship in a hurricane.

Aloha Kneepuck,

Good to hear you are still kicking!  Just remember that high winds cleaning out your house is cheating!  Memories do count for something!  Welcome back.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-2
Use props
T3rdEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221844 ft
United States

Glad you are alright.  Seen some of the carnage in California on TV and the wind damage was amazing and scary all at the same time. Glad you are safe and still have your sence of humor..
2017-4-2
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

Having grown up in So. Cal I know all about the "Santana" winds.  Miserable dirty 3 day long wind storms.  
2017-4-8
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Boy, I know about those winds.  I am also in Southern California.  The wind blew so hard here that my address was 10179 XXX Ave.  Now it's 10185 XXX Ave.
2017-4-8
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

I tried to make a video of my Phantom flying in the strong wind.  I used AZ Screen Record to capture the flight.  It is very poor quality, but it was all I could use at the time.  I shot this yesterday when the winds were blowing at 30 mph, gusting to 35.  I apologize for the poor quality, and the wind noise in the microphone.  The SD card in the drone has perfect quality, but I wanted to show the readings on my Tablet.  Have a look if you want.  It's at:
They expect the winds to continue for a few more days.  If I get some time, I will try to do a better job at making a demo video  flying in the wind.  Flying in a strong wind using GPS is easy.   But if you don't have,the GPS on, be prepare to fly manually and sweat bullets  
2017-4-8
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I live in Taiwan where typhoons with wind speeds of 150 mph are common. So I understand your situation.
2017-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules