Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

APP v1.2.0.17 IOS v1.0.2
-------------------------------

1) I only use the 16Gb (class1) sd card (stock) for updating the firmware.
    I Don't use this card for anything else.
    This way no hassle or questions during updating the firmware concerning the sd card
    Get another 16, 32 or 64Gb to store your videos and pictures during flights.
    In short : I call it my dedicated sd card only for updating the Inspire1
    Note: The firmware file does not have to be present on yr 16,32 or 64 sd card after updating to the latest firmware.

2) As of today, i will put a headline on ALL of my posts, indicating app & firmware version i'm on.
    All members could do this in a uniform way
    This will eliminate recurring questions about what version you use, etc...
    It makes life and support more easy

Example of a post :

APP v1.2.0.17 IOS v1.0.2                <-- headline
    Hi guys, is this a good idea ?
    Most of my posts start with that first line.
    As you can see and without extra questions, you now know
    that i'm using apple app on version v1.0.2 and firmware v1.2.0.17
    more of yr post here, bla bla bla ...

Other examples of headlines
    -----------------------------------
    APP v1.2.0.16 ANDROID v1.0.5
    APP v1.2.0.16 IOS v1.0.1

2015-2-27
Use props
robrizok.aol
lvl.1
United States

Excellent idea.   Hopefully all will follow.
2015-2-28
Use props
dundee
Second Officer

Thailand

robrizok.aol Posted at 2015-2-28 20:23
Excellent idea.   Hopefully all will follow.

APP v1.2.0.17 IOS v1.0.2
Uhhh, you did not.
2015-2-28
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Dundee,

The upgrade instructions suggest that we leave the update file on the camera card.

May be this is a good idea of yours to have the update files on a separate memroy card.

Strange thing I have noticed.  After doing the update, checking the card for the success report everything was ok yesterday.  Just pulled the card and checked again on the Mac and it  is now displaying text cancelled.

May be I should try and run the update again ??
2015-2-28
Use props
dundee
Second Officer

Thailand

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-28 21:47
Dundee,

The upgrade instructions suggest that we leave the update file on the camera card.

APP v1.2.0.17 IOS v1.0.2
Nope. The cancel notice because the craft was already updated with that firmware version.

I not test this, but im sure it overwrites that txt file with 'cancel' every time you cycle.
To find that out, look at the files last time modified.
If changed, that mean the bird initiates an update every cycle, but 'cancel' because already updated.

2015-2-28
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dundee Posted at 2015-2-28 22:31
APP v1.2.0.17 IOS v1.0.2
Nope. The cancel notice because the craft ...

Dundee,

I havent got the results from the previous update.  The Chat line told me then that I coud delete those files once it was updated and I re-formatted the card afterwards.

This is strange as DJI on the recent update instructions now indicate you leave the files on the card.  Tried to contact DJI help line, but thats a waste of time as there apears to be no one there or willing to interact.
2015-2-28
Use props
dundee
Second Officer

Thailand

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-28 22:39
Dundee,

I havent got the results from the previous update.  The Chat line told me then that I cou ...

Im sure when you put the bin file back on yr formatted sd, put it in camera, start the craft, if will see that your craft has the lastest firmware and it will create the txt file with 'cancel' in it.
So all is ok now for the craft. With or without the bin file present.
Dont forget to update your TX too
2015-2-28
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Gb44, perhaps you misinterpreted the instructions? It would make sense for them to say" leave the file on the card " if you must update the other hardware. But other posts suggest that each time you do an update for separate hardwares you should check file for successful update, then delete the response ( txt ) file before updating the next piece of hardware. I am not a computer wiz but it does make sense to keep a backup of the update on a separate storage device in the event you are in the field and have an issue. It also makes sense to use a separate card for video etc. as the  updated files are already uploaded and no longer needed for start up. Am I correct in assuming thes things?
2015-2-28
Use props
dundee
Second Officer

Thailand

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-1 01:59
Gb44, perhaps you misinterpreted the instructions? It would make sense for them to say" leave the fi ...

Yes, correct Dangair
2015-2-28
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-1 01:59
Gb44, perhaps you misinterpreted the instructions? It would make sense for them to say" leave the fi ...

Danger,

No I didnt get mixed up, The chat line said specificaly once the update was successful on aircraft and controller it can be deleted as its no longer needed.

However, when reading the DJI update instructions they are quite specific in that they say to make sure there is only one firmware package on the card.  So from this it would infer that when new updates are released the last update and all associated files on the card should be removed before downloading new release.

It would also make sense to leave a copy of the last update on the card especially the one used in the camera in case it needs to update the intelligent battery perhaps.  This would then negate the need for a second card for updates, just keep all past update files on your computer as a record.
2015-3-3
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 309606 ft
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-4 04:21
Danger,

No I didnt get mixed up, The chat line said specificaly once the update was successful on ...

I would think you might be right GB44 - especially if it has to update each battery one uses. Does it?

Put another way:
Does this new update need to talk to each battery independently? OR - once the update is in the aircraft- does it automatically takes care of all the batteries you use? That's my question.

Can anybody shed light on this?
2015-3-3
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

stupid question...but...If the bird had the update, wouldn't the batts take the update from it rather then the card which would mean you could insert a clean card w/o file?  confusing
2015-3-3
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-3-4 06:07
stupid question...but...If the bird had the update, wouldn't the batts take the update from it rathe ...

Not a stupid question dbeck - because nobody seems to know exactly how the batteries take the update.
2015-3-3
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-4 06:10
Not a stupid question dbeck - because nobody seems to know exactly how the batteries take the upda ...

DJI knows all this stuff - for crying out loud! Where are they?
2015-3-3
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good idea.
2015-3-3
Use props
rfrye
lvl.4
United States

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-4 06:12
DJI knows all this stuff - for crying out loud! Where are they?

For what it worth -

I updated my aircraft a few days ago - but forgot which battery I used.

I just tested by making sure there were no results files on SD card and powered up with each battery independently.

On each battery I got a separate "cancel" message for each

Should I now assume each of my batteries have the update?
2015-3-3
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

rfrye Posted at 2015-3-4 05:49
I would think you might be right GB44 - especially if it has to update each battery one uses. Does ...

Ok just gonna jump on a limb here, I can see no reason for the smart batteries to need the same update as the aircraft or the remote control. They are independent of the aircraft aren't they? Doesn't the aircraft just read the voltage and calculate the rate of usage independently? The batteries would have an separate update wouldn't they? As they have to communicate with the charger. I thought the smart batteries just had the charger built in and the power supply was independent. Which is really not that efficient except for proprietary sales. Almost all lipo, life and lead acid batteries can be charged with modern milti chargers these days. So what DJI did was put the cell balancer and the charging circuit as well as a discharge circuit in the battery itself. So in theory it seems like a bad idea because you could by a pre made charging station for lipo's and do multiple batteries at the same time. Instead of each battery needing a separate power supply. That's why I say the million dollar baby with Inspires will be a multi docking station for charging on a 12 volt inverter for a car. Just a big regulated power supply.
Sorry about the tangent I drifted.
2015-3-3
Use props
DVPLLC
lvl.1

United States

Hey.  We wanted to let you know..  your tips are part of what fixxed our 2nd Inspire down..  Thank you.

Drone Video Productions  LLC
2015-3-14
Use props
dundee
Second Officer

Thailand

DVPLLC Posted at 2015-3-15 06:24
Hey.  We wanted to let you know..  your tips are part of what fixxed our 2nd Inspire down..  Thank y ...

Nice to know you are back in the air
2015-3-14
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-4 13:10
Ok just gonna jump on a limb here, I can see no reason for the smart batteries to need the same up ...

I'm now replying to myself, apparently I was incorrect! The battery is also required to be updated or it won't communicate its info to the aircraft and in turn won't send that to the radio. Am I correct in saying this? if so does this mean that each battery is required to be updated with a fresh version of the firmware on an sd card installed in the gimbal upon start up?
2015-3-14
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
China

It is what I understood reading the update instructions. And what I did, but it seems that in the last firmware update there was no battery update included.
2015-3-14
Use props
Midi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

It was Blade or Ed who mentioned that we can leave the firmware on the. Sd card. No need to delete the result.txt file because
The I1 writes new entries at the end of the text file.   It was during the beta phase that you needed to delete the file.

I don't see a real benefit writing my firmware at the beginning of each posting because we can asume that everyone uses the latest
firmware.  They should be all mandatory. (Let's see if there will be many updates that  can be ignored, I do think the app will pestering
us if we don't update).
2015-3-15
Use props
robbie_gilmore
lvl.2

United States

Dundee,  You have been a tremendous assist in this Forum for myself and numerous others along the way.  Please know we appreciate it.  

I received my Inspire 1 in late January.  I have not had any problems whatsoever with the aircraft or dual controllers.  After a few flights I was alerted to upgrade the firmware.  I upgraded the first time in January without any problems at all.  I continued flights all during February, again with zero problems.

Now to the latest firmware update.  I printed your flow charts up for both the A/C and the TX.  Then downloaded the file from DJI and began the process.  I have tried numerous times to update the firmware.  I am now at a total loss.  I get zero results.

This morning I once again, reformatted the original SD card from DJI and downloaded it again.  I made certain there is nothing else on the SD card.  I will give it a shot; however, I do no have good vibes.  Any ideas at all?  I have had the camera attached the entire time.  Do you believe placing it back into travel mode and then back again may help?  I may try that.  Otherwise I am not sure.

I thought with your flow charts and the fact my first firmware update so smooth this would be a snap.  Very frustrating.  Thank you in advance for any ideas.   Robbie
2015-3-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do the same thing big guy. I hit the office supply store and grab a virgin micro sd card for my updates. I use a 8 GB card the smallest I can get. Another great source is Ebay. I have found sales of 8 cards for around $12 with free shipping.
2015-3-15
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also I only transfer the bin file. I don't bother with the text file. Never had a problem.
2015-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules