2nd Flight - Focus Issues, enlighten me.....
1306 15 2017-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok so my second flight and really happy, took it a friends field, had a play and shot a few quick shots of video.

The left/right sides of the shot seem out of focus, whilst the centre seems quite sharp.  The tree on the right and the grass near it is out of focus whilst the centre is sharp and on the other side at the same depth of field its out of focus again.

Seems like the centre third of the screen is in focus whilst the outside thirds are not.   The screen shot attached was taken whilst stationary and all the footage I took has the same problem.

Any ideas  ?  
2017-4-2
Use props
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnrtol ... %20Shot%20.jpg?dl=0
Apologies struggled attaching, so external lnk to my dropbox, hopefully you can see what I mean....
2017-4-2
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

what kind of focus method are you using? tap focus (device) or Cx focus on the RC? Do you have AF enabled?

2017-4-2
Use props
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Just turned it back on - AFC
What was confusing me was in the centre its sharp throughout the depth of field.
2017-4-2
Use props
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

New to the forum and just spent the last hour reading about different focus problems and terrible warranty replacement problems.   
As this is only the second flight, am i unlucky with it, should I be sending it back and what should I try first ?

2017-4-2
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Tony C Posted at 2017-4-2 14:03
New to the forum and just spent the last hour reading about different focus problems and terrible warranty replacement problems.   
As this is only the second flight, am i unlucky with it, should I be sending it back and what should I try first ?

Think Flybee wants you to try manual focusing and see what you get. That would make more sense than going right to warranty.
2017-4-2
Use props
Info1769
lvl.2
United States

If you find that it is indeed the mavic and not improper user focusing, I would strongly suggest returning it to the retailer you purchased it from. The warranty service took 35 days for me, and the experience was horrible. I'm not even sure it's 100% resolved yet. More testing to come.
2017-4-2
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

One thing you can try initially is to reset the camera settings. This will put everything back to default. Then try another shot.
2017-4-2
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-2 14:10
Think Flybee wants you to try manual focusing and see what you get. That would make more sense than going right to warranty.

Your assessment is correct
2017-4-2
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

Tony C Posted at 2017-4-2 14:03

There is a lot of "different problems" here, I just want you to be sure that you have tried some things and have the proper settings before you think about returning it. Not saying that there is nothing nor something wrong.

Put the aircraft on a table or something so you have "controlled" conditions when you perform your tests.
(remove the props?) so you don't have a accidental lift off.
2017-4-2
Use props
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok so followed these steps as per this guys video, he seemed to have the same problem but slightly worse.

IMU reset, calibrate gimbal and reset camera settings - Can't fly till Thursday I should know then.

Thanks for your help so far.......
2017-4-3
Use props
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok did the above now the left hand side is blurry.......

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 15.16.16 copy.jpg
2017-4-5
Use props
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Anything else I should be trying before I send this back ?

Anyone else had this problem and managed to fix it ?
2017-4-6
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Germany

Tony C Posted at 2017-4-5 06:33
Ok did the above now the left hand side is blurry.......

That is interesting if the other side is blurry now. Mine have been consequent in the same right corner. However in the picture you post here I would say that the right side is blurred also.

I have no more ideas, open a case

Good luck
2017-4-6
Use props
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Opened a s case, they stated I could send it back for a replacement if it was less than 15 days old, it was 21.
Emailed them, put my case they rejected it completely.  Apple (where I purchased it) have been really good, they extended their 14 day return period to 30 days, which runs out on the 15th April.

I have emailed DJI to reconsider and if they don't Ill return it back to Apple for a refund as they currently have no stock.  The thought of waiting 45 days or more a repair/replacement, for a drone I waited 3 months to get in the first place is not one I'm willing to entertain.

Chinese companies have an extremely inflexible polices and are black/white.  I really do hope I'm proven wrong, but sadly I suspect I won't be.

2017-4-12
Use props
Tony C
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Another rejection from DJI, all packed up and sent back to Apple for a full refund.
Apple did state this was a common fault and they were aware of the delays in repair, which is why they extended the refund period.  Excellent service, why can't DJI recognise that fact.

On the plus side they say they are going to refund my DJI refresh, so fingers crossed !
2017-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules