Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI GO AND K1 APP Crash
1736 13 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans66d40b4c
lvl.2
United States

Has there been a fix for this problem? I have not found it on here and My K1 Tablet keeps crashing.
Please help me,
2017-4-3
Use props
DJI Tom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are referring to the DJI GO app crashing, no the problem has no been fixed.  I've used 8 different devices two apple devices and 6 Android and the app is not stable.  I had to use the Litchi app which is very stable.
2017-4-3
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha fans66,

Yes, but depending on what aircraft you are flying the approaches to the solution vary.  Mostly, just update all your systems.  nVidia Shield K1 has introduced a new firmware 5.01 and Android has modified Nougat.  DJI has done its best to make the nVidia Shield K1 a trusted tablet with DJI GO and DJI GO 4 updates.  It appears that the technology has gotten more sensitive and that sensitivity is allowing more interference.  Our problem is suffering the increased interference.  So, what are you flying?

Most recently, here on the Forum, a contributor noted that blocking the antennae from the back of the nVidia Shield K1 helped resolve or reduce many of the disconnect problems.  They made a aluminum foil barrier that really helped but they had to leave a gap for the GPS to operate properly.  

Very few nVidia Shield K1 owners realize that the back of the nVidia Shield K1 is a strong magnet so it can be placed on metal surfaces while gaming.  It is, after all, a gaming computer!  By shielding the magnet from the antennae, there could be an improvement in performance.  I already use parabolics as signal boosters and the parabolics also block the magnetic interference.  Whenever I remove the parabolics, my app crashes more often than when the parabolics are installed.

I just learned about this possible interference today, so tomorrow I will be putting some aluminum foil on my sunshade so I can remove my parabolics and test the theory.  This is really getting interesting.  You got to just love this cutting edge technology!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-3
Use props
olefolks
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-3 03:34
Aloha fans66,

Yes, but depending on what aircraft you are flying the approaches to the solution vary.  Mostly, just update all your systems.  nVidia Shield K1 has introduced a new firmware 5.01 and Android has modified Nougat.  DJI has done its best to make the nVidia Shield K1 a trusted tablet with DJI GO and DJI GO 4 updates.  It appears that the technology has gotten more sensitive and that sensitivity is allowing more interference.  Our problem is suffering the increased interference.  So, what are you flying?

Howdy Cetacean!  No disrespect, but the magnet situation sounds like a band-aid on a 6" gash.  Putting foil on the back of the K1 reduces the number of app crashes, however, it does not eliminate the crashes apparently.
Everyone that has downgraded Nougat back to 6.1 has eliminated the app crash problem.  Just saying!

2017-4-3
Use props
fans66d40b4c
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean I am Flying the P4 and love it, well until the app started crashing. I realize the K1 now has up graded, however you would think that DJI would keep up with them with UP Grades. That Tablet cost 200.00 and is on there approved list. I am sure there are a lot of us just waiting for a stable fix once and for all. Since the up grade I do not fly it to far from me because you never know when the APP is going to crash.
So come on DJI get us a fix for this major problem.
2017-4-3
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

olefolks Posted at 2017-4-3 05:37
Howdy Cetacean!  No disrespect, but the magnet situation sounds like a band-aid on a 6" gash.  Putting foil on the back of the K1 reduces the number of app crashes, however, it does not eliminate the crashes apparently.
Everyone that has downgraded Nougat back to 6.1 has eliminated the app crash problem.  Just saying!

Aloha olefolks,

No disrespect back at ya!  But, I am currently up-to-date with Nougat 7 and nVidia Shield K1 5.1 as well as all the DJI firmware and apps.  My crashes only happen when I take my parabolics off the antennae or some other scenario where the strong magnetic field can get to the antennae.  That is why I am working on a shielding solution.  

With this approach, I can test with and without the parabolics and aluminum foil shield to see the result with the app crashes.  There is almost no cost to this effort.  With just the parabolics, my system is really very stable.  Crashes almost never happen anymore and now that it all makes sense, I may be able to improve on even that performance.

The problem is that the nVidia Shield K1 is designed and built as a gaming tablet.  With the magnet, the tablet can be placed on a metal surface for stability while gaming.  But, it is also used for flying.  The flying technology is getting so sensitive that the magnetic field is beginning to interfere with the newly more sensitive antennas.  This causes the app crashes in my theory.

Also according to this theory, the only way to stop the app crashes is to make the antennas less sensitive (your approach), unless you remove the magnet or shield the magnet.  Making the antennae less sensitive brings back some of the other problems that were solved by the DJI app and firmware improvements.  This is also the case with nVidia and the Android OS upgrade to Nougat.  Going backward is not the solution.  It can be a temporary solution to get you up in the air, but it is not a permanent solution.  We need to keep the more sensitive antennas and get rid of the magnetic interference.

One solution is for nVidia to make Shield versions without the magnetic back and sell them as flying tablets.  This could even cut costs for nVidia.  Until then shielding the nVidia Shield K1 magnetic back from the antennas with parabolics and / or aluminum foil allows the latest firmware and apps to make the antennas more sensitive and keep the app from crashing.  At least that is what is hoped for!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-3
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fans66d40b4c Posted at 2017-4-3 06:18
Cetacean I am Flying the P4 and love it, well until the app started crashing. I realize the K1 now has up graded, however you would think that DJI would keep up with them with UP Grades. That Tablet cost 200.00 and is on there approved list. I am sure there are a lot of us just waiting for a stable fix once and for all. Since the up grade I do not fly it to far from me because you never know when the APP is going to crash.

"That Tablet cost 200.00 and is on there approved list"

I can't see the K1 to be on any approved list. Can you provide a link?

The following is listed on the DJI website http://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads

Android Version v4.0.5.
Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 7, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, MI 3, MI PAD, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, LG V20, Nubia Z7 mini, Sony Xperia Z3, Smartisan T1.
2017-4-3
Use props
fans66d40b4c
lvl.2
United States

Here you are  Eric
http://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/18/best-tabletsphones-for-dji
2017-4-3
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans66d40b4c Posted at 2017-4-3 06:18

Aloha fans66,

Try this approach.  The problem is the back of the nVidia Shield K1 has a big strong magnet.  The magnetic field disrupts the antennae on occasion and causes the app to crash.  I kept wondering why I was not having the crashes like everyone else.  Yesterday, I realized that I fly with parabolics, those curves reflectors that boost the signal for the antennae.  But, in this case they are also blocking the magnetic field and stop my app from crashing under almost all circumstances.  Once in a while it does still crash.

Try this.  Someone in another thread was writing about how aluminum foil was working to solve a related problem.  So, this is what I am doing besides using my parabolics.  Get some aluminum foil and cover the back of your nVidia Shield K1.  Use clear tape to hold it in place but watch out for the stickiness so the glue does not come off and ruin your nVidia Shield K1.  Be sure to double the foil.  Mount everything the way it is supposed to go and start your system.  Fly in close first and see if the app crashes.  If not, gradually fly further and further out.

Be sure to report back and let me know how it goes.  I have started a thread on this subject.  It has Magnet in the title.  Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-3
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

fans66d40b4c Posted at 2017-4-3 17:58
Here you are  Eric

Thank you!
It shows recommendation by Phantomhelp, not DJI.

When I take a look at the box of the P4P it becomes clear to me what DJI is really recommending.
But when I read DJI Toms post it seems that the Go app is faulty cross-platform.

1.jpg
2017-4-4
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans66d40b4c Posted at 2017-4-3 17:58
Here you are  Eric

Aloha fans66,

The foil experiment worked very well but Labroides and Geebax assure me that the magnets are not the source of the problem.  Labroides even explained how to remove the magnets, which I may do tomorrow.  There may be some other electro-magnetic or radio wave situation involved that the parabolics and foil block.

Another source of your problem may be that the Android 7 (Nougat) installation also installed a lot of junkware.  Apps that you do not need and services you will never use.  It took me an hour to get rid of them.  And then there were others that are "needed" that download while you are flying and disrupt the DJI GO 4 app.  In those, I learned that by touching the three vertical dots in the upper right as it is trying to download it opens up and offers if you want a manual download or something like that.  After that they do not download while you are flying so it frees up your system to fly undisturbed.  That is a major problem.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-5
Use props
fans66d40b4c
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean well for now I will have the tablet rolled back to the earlier Platform until DJI can figure out how to stay up with other industries of  future upgrades.
I thought DJI was in China? Man those guys over there are extremely intelligent this should be an easy fix for them.
2017-4-5
Use props
olefolks
lvl.2
United States

fans66d40b4c Posted at 2017-4-5 02:57
Cetacean well for now I will have the tablet rolled back to the earlier Platform until DJI can figure out how to stay up with other industries of  future upgrades.
I thought DJI was in China? Man those guys over there are extremely intelligent this should be an easy fix for them.

I wish I could roll my K1 back to 5.1 or 6.0, unfortunately, I don't own a PC nor the brain power to roll it back, lol!
2017-4-5
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

My iPad Air 2 + Cellular green-screened today for the first time with newest GO 4.  Happened when I clicked the video record button.  Green lasted for a few seconds before going back to normal.  Something isn't
right somewhere.  I used 3.1.5 before and never had a problem other than a brief flash of a green bar with the later versions of GO 3, but today I used GO 4.0.5 for first time and it was the entire screen in green on activating the video camera.
2017-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules