Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My Mavic Did Not Return To Home After Losing RC Signal
1234Next >
13821 120 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84957 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-3 15:09
Read my previous post again: it essentially says that I now don't think the wind was a factor. RTH would have put you flying with the wind, which means it wouldn't be a problem.

In any case, I'll stop commenting and leave this to the folks on the other forum, many of whom are better qualified than I am to figure out what happened. Good luck.

i understood what you were saying. i was just throwing that out there for anyone else who might of thought that as well. thanks you for your input. anything helps at this point.
2017-4-3
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Sorry to hear this!

The problem when you lose radio telemetry is you have to guess, since your data is incomplete. You state your Remote Controller Signal Loss setting was set at RTH, but if it was instead at Hover or Landing then you have to figure out how far it would have continued on course in Sports Mode in the two seconds or so that it takes to trigger this feature, and focus your searching in that area.

Where was the sun? Would the Mavic have had to fly towards the sun on a RTH course? If so, you may have run into the dreaded scenario where the Sun triggers object avoidance, and so you then have to consider what the Mavic's response is configured for -- if RTH Obstacle Check is enabled, then the Mavic will rise when OA kicks in, trying to overcome the height of the obstacle, which, of course, isn't going to happen with the Sun. At some point the battery drain will force the Mavic to land, but where OA activates may be hard to guess if the sun was low in the sky and partially hidden by trees and buildings.

Good luck, and hope you find it.

2017-4-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 14:54
could the issue be with my controller malfunctioning ? the log didnt even recieve a RTH prompt

When you lost radio did you get message AC was returning home..
2017-4-3
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

could the issue be with my controller malfunctioning ? the log didnt even recieve a RTH prompt

I'm guessing that's because the Mavic never received the command, or at least the link died before it could relay the command as having activated.
2017-4-3
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-3 15:18
When you lost radio did you get message AC was returning home..

i got the prompt for RTH and used it. then waited for it to never return and the RC never regained signal
2017-4-3
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-3 15:16
Sorry to hear this!

The problem when you lose radio telemetry is you have to guess, since your data is incomplete. You state your Remote Controller Signal Loss setting was set at RTH, but if it was instead at Hover or Landing then you have to figure out how far it would have continued on course in Sports Mode in the two seconds or so that it takes to trigger this feature, and focus your searching in that area.

RTH is set not set to hover or landing. its set to RTH. The OA was turned off due to me thinking it would do more harm then good without any side or rear sensors. also, the sun was the opposite heading of the home point
2017-4-3
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Lost ,
Sorry you lost your Mavic , I think your best bet is to deal with DJI for now --- I looked at your flight record
and it got me stumped --- it just disappeared --- with no warnings --- nothing
I hope it pops up for you   
2017-4-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 15:20
i got the prompt for RTH and used it. then waited for it to never return and the RC never regained signal

When you say set it do you mean hold down RTH for 3 seconds?
2017-4-3
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-3 15:28

no i mean in the settings when it asks what the drone should do if it looses RC signal, i have it set for it to return to home point, Not Hover, or land
2017-4-3
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-3 15:28

i apologize i miss read your comment. no not hold for 3 seconds. when it lost signal it asked me if i wanted it to return home and i slid to the right on my iphone
2017-4-3
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 15:24
RTH is set not set to hover or landing. its set to RTH. The OA was turned off due to me thinking it would do more harm then good without any side or rear sensors. also, the sun was the opposite heading of the home point

You can't actually tell what Remote Controller Signal Loss is set to unless you are connected to the Mavic, but I'm pretty sure the default is RTH, so if you don't remember ever messing with it then it probably was set to RTH.

RTH Obstacle Check will work even if you've turned off OA, but sounds like sun-triggering wasn't going to happen during RTH.

You were kind of high to be hitting any birds, but I guess that's always a possibility.

After losing telemetry, you could have also lost good GPS, but that seems unlikely given your height and area.

That's all I got.

2017-4-3
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Samoth Posted at 2017-4-3 12:38
Happened tobme too: lost RC signal, Mavic didn't trigger RTH as it should and crashed instead.

RTH in case of RC signal loss doesn't seem reliable

You Crashed it before RTH was triggered and you were flying in a NFZ out of Line Of Site Stop making
excuses and Claiming RC signal loss
Every time you post on a RC signal loss Matter, you should post your Flight Record also so all can see that your case is Pilot Error --- Except it and stop BS-ing  people --  you just click to click
2017-4-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 15:28
i apologize i miss read your comment. no not hold for 3 seconds. when it lost signal it asked me if i wanted it to return home and i slid to the right on my iphone

Ok same thing, really LMM this is one of those cases for dji , there is nothing in your logs to say this was your fault,
I hope it works out for you.
2017-4-3
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-3 15:42
Ok same thing, really LMM this is one of those cases for dji , there is nothing in your logs to say this was your fault,
I hope it works out for you.

sorry but what is LMM?
2017-4-3
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-3 15:39
You Crashed it before RTH was triggered and you were flying in a NFZ out of Line Of Site Stop making
Every time you post on a RC signal loss Matter, you should post your Flight Record also so all can see that your case is Pilot Error --- Except it and stop BS-ing  people --  you just click to click

hahahahaha i have 2 different types of logs put down on here. ONE OF THEM EVEN SAYS RC SIGNAL LOSS. read up before you try and pointlessly bash someone
2017-4-3
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Samoth Posted at 2017-4-3 12:38
Happened tobme too: lost RC signal, Mavic didn't trigger RTH as it should and crashed instead.

RTH in case of RC signal loss doesn't seem reliable

Friends, Members and Moderators of the Mavic Form  I apologize for my manners in this post to Samoth
This is how I can get when a person tries to stir the pot with BS and calls others a Hater
and ignorant
2017-4-3
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 15:46
hahahahaha i have 2 different types of logs put down on here. ONE OF THEM EVEN SAYS RC SIGNAL LOSS. read up before you try and pointlessly bash someone

Lol ha Ha ha More BS on your part then good luck your going to need it

2017-4-3
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
United Kingdom

They weren't responding to you, they were replying to another user 'Samoth' as you can see in the quoted text.
2017-4-3
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I would guess an abbreviation for your username LostMyMavic
2017-4-3
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

I seen it -- you are an Ass -- go look at your original tread

IDIOT wow just goes to show you cant fix Stupid

2017-4-3
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
United Kingdom

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-3 16:00
Lol ha Ha ha More BS on your part then good luck your going to need it

It looks like you've replied to the wrong user as well, that's the OP not Samoth.
2017-4-3
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-3 16:01
I seen it -- you are an Ass -- go look at your original tread

IDIOT wow just goes to show you cant fix Stupid

dude you got me so confused. idc who your talking to or if you think my case is BS just go away if your not going to help
2017-4-3
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Yeah OK Samoth  time fro you to go to bed -- Play time is over
2017-4-3
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-3 16:10
Yeah OK Samoth  time fro you to go to bed -- Play time is over

who tf is Samoth ?
2017-4-3
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

the post was not meant for you
2017-4-3
Use props
RightStuffed
lvl.2
United States

Well this one sure went sideways.
2017-4-3
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

lol samoth.jpg
2017-4-3
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

LostMyMavic, none of the posts I made were to meant towards you--The idiot thats name is "Samoth" he hijacked my posts to HIM and sent them to you to cause confussion he posted in you Thread #18 he has doen this with two other threads also
2017-4-3
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

One last suggestion: if all else fails, you might put up a few posters in the area offering a reward for the return of your Mavic. Since you have Care Refresh, getting it back is worth at least $800 to you, so even if you offer (and wind up paying) $100 for your Mavic's return you'd be money ahead.
2017-4-3
Use props
nay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your Mavic, the wife and I were at Tahoe couple weeks ago(Reno local) flew It too far from lone Eagle Grill and another time at sand harbor,  and had an operator error at sand bar I and almost caused a fly away from taking of at ATTI MODE.  I was $hitless.  Glad I was able to manually fly it back until it connected to few GPS.  Hope you find yours.  
2017-4-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Lost my mavic
2017-4-4
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 15:28

Hi again,

Thank you for the logs - but as others have stated there's not much info there as such - your remote got cut off so the RTH you confirmed on the display most likely never got to the Mavic. So now for the other guesses. I don't know what your background in engineering etc is so please don't mind my ranting below - I prefer to always explain in detail what I mean.

Given the big antenna you saw there I'd say you may have fallen a victim of a radio guy even without his knowledge. I wouldn't go as far as assume somebody hijacked your Mavic - more likely an unlucky turn of events. What could have happened with this kind of strong electromagnetic influence is:
- you loose RC connection and you won't get it back - too much interference,
- the compass goes bananas,
- the IMU goes bananas,
- the drone initiates RTH but flies where his instruments tell it to go, so not where you would expect.

Now the GPS signal isn't strong either. What you should also consider is the fact that you don't have a connection with the GPS sats in the sky - you are only receiving the signal and the processor on the device calculates your position. If you're in a very strong and disruptive electromagnetic field you can have all devices go bonkers, regardless of their specs.

That's the theory on what could have happened. Now for the suggestions of what you might do. You were flying at around 36mph in NNW direction when the signal died on reaching Steelhead Ave. Let's assume the craft continued for a while on the same heading with the same speed - before realizing the signal cut off and he needs to do something about it.

I would really suggest you scout the area north-west of the last location - and continue northwards later on too if you don't find anything quickly. Looking at the large roof area on the elementary school - this could also be a good place to check. How can you do that given it's an elementary school - that's a good question but maybe you can find a friendly janitor or go to the principal directly to allow you to check the roofs. Otherwise if you get someone with a drone to help with the search you could also overfly the school but do be careful - people get really strange when it comes to drones with cameras and kids.

Just my 2 cents in this. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Hope you find your craft.

Best of luck!!
2017-4-4
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I think it lost both gps and wifi to his rc (or enough gps sats to go into atti). I believe the mavic lands or tries to land over the rth setting.
2017-4-4
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-3 15:39

I don't know when it crashed exactly: I was 22m high, suddenly, no video feedback and loss of RC control.
And it was clearly a loss of RC signal since the remote said so
The manual said that after few seconds of RC signal loss, RTH should trigger automatically, so I waited a bit. After 30 sec, since there wasn't any sign of the Mavic I went in the field I was flying over to find it, still on, on its back.

I already posted my logs and I sent them to DJI. Still waiting their expertise to tell me what happened

I already told you I wasn't in a NFZ, I hijacked nothing, stop reporting your mistakes on other people

And you should stop posting insults instead of arguments, you are loosing your credibility and making a fool of yourself
2017-4-5
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

Alright guys i found it! I f'ing found it! It was about 100-150 feet from the last known gps point. I was out putting up posters around the entire town which isn't too hard since it's a small town, and I was around the corner from the last known location when a guy stopped and read my poster and asked when it was. Told him last Sunday and he said he saw one flying and described the location which was the last known gps point ! He said it just dropped out of the sky. So I went back there with the knowledge that it didn't initiate RTH and was around the Last known GPS point. Did a much more thorough investigation since I knew it was there and found it about 3 feet deep in snow. I'm assuming the antenna that was on the tree must have immediately knocked out the signal since it was very close to the location still. I would like to say how damn durable these things are tho. The gimble is definitely not attached anymore and all the blades are broken, but it still turns on and still tries to initiate flight lol thank you again everyone for the help! It's been a hell of a 3 days.
2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-5 17:32
Alright guys i found it! I f'ing found it! It was about 100-150 feet from the last known gps point. I was out putting up posters around the entire town which isn't too hard since it's a small town, and I was around the corner from the last known location when a guy stopped and read my poster and asked when it was. Told him last Sunday and he said he saw one flying and described the location which was the last known gps point ! He said it just dropped out of the sky. So I went back there with the knowledge that it didn't initiate RTH and was around the Last known GPS point. Did a much more thorough investigation since I knew it was there and found it about 3 feet deep in snow. I'm assuming the antenna that was on the tree must have immediately knocked out the signal since it was very close to the location still. I would like to say how damn durable these things are tho. The gimble is definitely not attached anymore and all the blades are broken, but it still turns on and still tries to initiate flight lol thank you again everyone for the help! It's been a hell of a 3 days.

I'm very glad to hear that! Send it in to DJI and have them take a look at it. From the sounds of it you might be due a free warranty replacement, but the worst case scenario is that you'll have to pay $79 to be back in business. Thanks for the update.
2017-4-5
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

Great to hear that you found it! It would be great to see the Mavic's log file for that flight. I'm starting to worry about the number of reports I've read of Mavics just falling out of the sky. As far as I know, even a large amount of signal interference (intentional or unintentional) should not cause a total shutdown in flight.
2017-4-5
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.2
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-5 17:56
Great to hear that you found it! It would be great to see the Mavic's log file for that flight. I'm starting to worry about the number of reports I've read of Mavics just falling out of the sky. As far as I know, even a large amount of signal interference (intentional or unintentional) should not cause a total shutdown in flight.

I will try and get it on here for you guys but I've heard terrible things about DJI customer service and I want to get it sent in to get a new one asap since I have a trip to Indonesia planned for May 1st
2017-4-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

LostMyMavic,

Outstanding great news happy you found it

2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-5 18:05
I will try and get it on here for you guys but I've heard terrible things about DJI customer service and I want to get it sent in to get a new one asap since I have a trip to Indonesia planned for May 1st

I want to get it sent in to get a new one asap since I have a trip to Indonesia planned for May 1st

Unless the turnaround time for North America has improved recently that might be pushing it a bit, but you do have the advantage of being in California so your Mavic won't have as far to travel as most.
2017-4-5
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules