Flying a drone on the beach...
3862 12 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CXK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104383 ft
United States

Besides the obvious risk of water landings and high winds. Is there any special cleaning I should do to the drone after flying in that salty/sandy air? I just got my drone a few weeks ago and realize I have a thousand questions haha.
2017-4-3
Use props
Micro Pilot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491988 ft
United Kingdom

I flew mine at the weekend on the beach no issues so no nothing special unless you plan on ditching it To make the sand less of an issue try and not take off with it sat on the sand and hand catch it. This would stop the sand being blown up into the motors and body.
2017-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If taking off or landing on a sandy beach, buy or make yourself a snazzy landing pad.

It's better than taking the chance of getting grit in the motors. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-4
Use props
CXK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104383 ft
United States

Thanks! I figure I'll try and take off on concrete and then fly over the beach.
2017-4-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just keep in mind that consistent exposure to the salty air can cause any exposed screws to rust sooner. Even though there aren't a lot of exposed screws, a good wipe down should help maintain the unit.
2017-4-4
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

CXK Posted at 2017-4-4 15:02
Thanks! I figure I'll try and take off on concrete and then fly over the beach.

Take care. Some concrete can play havoc with your compass.
2017-4-4
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-4 22:28
Just keep in mind that consistent exposure to the salty air can cause any exposed screws to rust sooner. Even though there aren't a lot of exposed screws, a good wipe down should help maintain the unit.

Are you implying that the screws are NOT stainless steel? If they are not, then why aren't they?
2017-4-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-4-5 06:04
Are you implying that the screws are NOT stainless steel? If they are not, then why aren't they?

Even stainless steel can rust from the exposure of seawater for extensive amounts of time if left unchecked. It is less susceptible to rusting in general, but it's not 100% when it's not taken care of for months. If you are someone who goes to the beach once and a while, then you're probably not going to have to baby it to that extent. If you're someone who plans to fly regularly at the beach with a lot of low shots, however, then you would want to keep an eye on it.
2017-4-5
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-5 09:19
Even stainless steel can rust from the exposure of seawater for extensive amounts of time if left unchecked. It is less susceptible to rusting in general, but it's not 100% when it's not taken care of for months. If you are someone who goes to the beach once and a while, then you're probably not going to have to baby it to that extent. If you're someone who plans to fly regularly at the beach with a lot of low shots, however, then you would want to keep an eye on it.

SO, may I be more specific? Are these or are they not Stainless Steel? Since you seem to want to play word games. Please do not forget that I am the consumer here. I suppose I'll take a magnet to them and answer my own question.
2017-4-6
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I have flown my drones at 2 different ocean beaches and my only precautions were to launch from my case and hand catch. I wipe down the drone every now and then anyway due to bug splatter but I didn't do any special cleaning after the beach flights.
2017-4-6
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

Take off on your case or something similar away from the sand, bench, seat etc and then hand catch when landing.  Avoid the sand at all costs.
2017-4-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-5 09:19

Haven't thought much about this sort of scenario, but perhaps dabbing some Vaseline over each screw hole prior to such flights? May seem a little extreme, but if anyone is that worried that should do the trick.
2017-4-6
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-4-6 09:38
SO, may I be more specific? Are these or are they not Stainless Steel? Since you seem to want to play word games. Please do not forget that I am the consumer here. I suppose I'll take a magnet to them and answer my own question.

No, they are not stainless.
And a magnet would not tell you for sure if they were or not. Type 304 stainless, (slightly harder than 18-8) is drawn to a magnet and can rust slightly.
I have seen no specs or claims by anyone that DJI hardware is stainless though.
2017-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules