NVidia Shield K1 is a Big Magnet! Is it Causing your App Cras...
5366 54 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

G1DTF Posted at 2017-4-9 00:53
I would also like to know what apps including system apps and services can be safely uninstalled or stopped (i am rooted) to give the GO4 APP the best chance of maximum performance. I am currently running Marshmallow as I ran into all the problems associated with 7.0 Nougat and rolled back to 6. I am currently flying a P4 .

Aloha G1DTF,

Your problem with Android 7 (Nougat) was probably the new apps and services that were installed with the new system.  Read what I wrote to Chuck in the Post above.  Like I said, it really is shooting from the hip.  Be sure to limit the programs that can run in the background and also put it in Airplane Mode so no programs will be downloaded while you are flying.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-9
Use props
Goldchucker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 512 ft
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-9 04:53
Aloha Chuck,

Good luck with that one.  It really depends on what you need.  For example, sometimes I use email to give myself the link for an upgrade or update.  So I allow the email function.  Then there are the language and translation options that you really do not need.  You have to go into the App Manager and spend some time thinking about whether you really need that app.  It took me an hour to clean up Android 7 Nougat.

Thank you for your helpful reply.  I'll try and see what I can do without.

Chuck
2017-4-9
Use props
elegantcheese
lvl.1

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-9 04:53
Aloha Chuck,

Good luck with that one.  It really depends on what you need.  For example, sometimes I use email to give myself the link for an upgrade or update.  So I allow the email function.  Then there are the language and translation options that you really do not need.  You have to go into the App Manager and spend some time thinking about whether you really need that app.  It took me an hour to clean up Android 7 Nougat.

If the Android update and its associated app overload is the real problem as most seem to have identified, shouldn't the title of this thread should be changed because the thing about the magnets is misleading.

What does DJI have to say? I am waiting on an NVIDIA Shield K1 arriving Tuesday. Am I to understand that DJI cannot currently guarantee that my new Phantom 3 Standard will not be compatible with the new Nvidia Shield K1 as fully upgraded?
2017-4-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

elegantcheese Posted at 2017-4-9 17:50
If the Android update and its associated app overload is the real problem as most seem to have identified, shouldn't the title of this thread should be changed because the thing about the magnets is misleading.

What does DJI have to say? I am waiting on an NVIDIA Shield K1 arriving Tuesday. Am I to understand that DJI cannot currently guarantee that my new Phantom 3 Standard will not be compatible with the new Nvidia Shield K1 as fully upgraded?

Aloha EC,

What you need to work on when you get your nVidia Shield K1 tablet Tuesday is update everything to 5.01 and Android 7 (Nougat).  Then spend the hour needed to delete all the BS apps and services.  In your case with a P3 Standard, you will need any apps and services that help your WiFi.  

Well, the magnets in the title helped solve the problem of whether the magnets were the problem and got me to remove my magnets.  The title is posed as a question.  Maybe you should offer a new thread to see if the app BS is the problem?  Be sure to mention to put it in Airplane Mode so downloads do not disrupt the flight.

The magnets were in a question about the performance.  We seem to have resolved that problem.  Now we need to move on the the next possible solution.  This thread will die a good death and if revived will note that the magnets were not the problem.  If I change the title, the context could get lost and the thread then becomes misleading.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-9
Use props
FMcNeely
lvl.1
Flight distance : 446329 ft
United States

I just checked with a piece of metal. The magnets are only located in where the speakers are. I suspect that the magnets you're referring to are the speaker magnets. Either way, they are strong enough to hold the K1 to a refrigerator.
2017-4-22
Use props
FMcNeely
lvl.1
Flight distance : 446329 ft
United States

FMcNeely Posted at 2017-4-22 09:14
I just checked with a piece of metal. The magnets are only located in where the speakers are. I suspect that the magnets you're referring to are the speaker magnets. Either way, they are strong enough to hold the K1 to a refrigerator.

Ignore that post. I see someone addressed the magnet issue. Sorry.
2017-4-22
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-3 23:54
I haven't heard of anyone having problems due to the magnets (there are 5 of them on the inside of the back cover and easily removable).
But I have heard of people having issues with the latest version of Android.
If you want to remove the magnets, just pry the back off - use a knife to split it away from the case and with a little gentle bending of the back cover you can get a knife under the magnets which are glued on, and pop them off.

Bear in mind that removing the back cover with a knife and prying the magnets off will void your warranty.....
2017-7-9
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

Since the July updates (drone, rc & Go app) the Go app has not crashed on my up-to-date and unaltered K1. I'm glad I didn't go fiddling to remove magnets, or attempt a downgrade of the tablet.
2017-8-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-19 12:11
Since the July updates (drone, rc & Go app) the Go app has not crashed on my up-to-date and unaltered K1. I'm glad I didn't go fiddling to remove magnets, or attempt a downgrade of the tablet.

Aloha COK,

Well, you are doing better than me right now.  I just installed Litchi and learned that many of my disabled apps had gotten enabled again.  So, I still was getting disconnects with Nougat.  Even my Litchi operations were having disconnects but they were so smooth that I did not realize until later that it had occurred.  At least I know what my problem is again!

Mahalo for the update!  Now I know what to do.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-19
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-19 12:11

Wow...this is massive news if true. There are at least 2 threads on this very issue and last time I checked the GO App still closed itself down randomly..

Can you just confirm what drone and what version of the app you are using?
2017-8-19
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
New Zealand

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-8-19 14:27
Wow...this is massive news if true. There are at least 2 threads on this very issue and last time I checked the GO App still closed itself down randomly..

Can you just confirm what drone and what version of the app you are using?

NVidia Shield K1 Info:

Android: 7.0
Security Patch Level: 1 April 2017
Kernel: 3.10.96+ Sat May 20
Build #: NRD90M.1928188_904.2811
Software Version: 5.2 (24.29.404.153)

Phantom 4 Standard Info:

DJI Go App: 4.1.5
Version: 02.00.0106
RC: 1.9.2
AC Database: 01.00.01.04
App Database: 00.00.01.04

Before the notorious July updates I was getting regular crashes in the DJI Go app. I never lost control of the drone, and calmly restarted the app each time. I believe the recording was not interrupted during a crash.

However, since the July updates I am getting the 4K @ 30fps camera reset. I'm happy to live with that as I'm learning the benefits of 1080p @ 60fps for now.

I can confirm, after about three hours of flights since the July updates, DJI GO HAS NOT CRASHED ONCE. I consider it to be stable on my setup.

I've seen in other threads DJI admins are still asking folk to send in info on the 4K reset issue, it looks like as of 19th August, that issue still has DJI baffled.
2017-8-19
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-19 15:35
NVidia Shield K1 Info:

Android: 7.0

Aloha COK,

This is great news as noted previously.  But, I am at a loss about the 4K reset issue.  What happens?  Can you explain it further?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-20
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
New Zealand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-20 01:04
Aloha COK,

This is great news as noted previously.  But, I am at a loss about the 4K reset issue.  What happens?  Can you explain it further?

I did some tests yesterday without props attached or motors running. The only conclusion I can come to is that the Phantom does not like 3840x2160 @ 30fps at all. See below video for actual demo of what happens.

Things to note:

- if you record and successfully stop the recording before the reset, the file is saved.
- if you experience a reset before you've had a chance to stop recording, the footage is not saved to the SD card.

I do not use video caching on the tablet so can't comment on that footage being saved or not.

At one point I changed to the 4K setting and immediately did a camera reset. That seemed to go OK, with no erroneous reset. However, the 3d option was turned on, so I turned that off, and the front light off option was off, so i turned that on. Immediately after that I got a camera reset, even before I'd hit record. Now this happens all the time, i don't need to be recording for the camera to reset at the 4k settings.

I have faith in the hardware (my camera unit was replaced back in Oct '16), this camera reset issue first began on my first flight after the firmware upgrade.

Later today I'm going to try your DJI Assistant app reinstall - I'm happy to try anything, but I'm not interested in a roll back - my flight controls are fine and 1080p @ 60fps is a good alternative until we get some hard news back on this 4K issue from DJI. *If* that happens, then I'll consider my options.

2017-8-20
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-20 13:23
I did some tests yesterday without props attached or motors running. The only conclusion I can come to is that the Phantom does not like 3840x2160 @ 30fps at all. See below video for actual demo of what happens.

Things to note:

Aloha COK,

Mahalo for the information and the video.  I will have a look at it and get back to you.  Right now I am trying to figure out Litchi.  BTW, I will be posting a new thread soon that says, "What is Ground Level - Think About It".  I am having some questions about this supposedly easy principal.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-20
Use props
Enilson Arneiro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 546604 ft
Brazil

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-4-3 20:19
Makes me glad I have the original 8 inch Shield tablet.  It works great, no issues at all.

I hope not to be disappointed with Nvidia Shield, it almost does not exist for sale here in Brazil, but I got one to leave it dedicated to the flights with my drone, I flew twice with Phamtom 4 without problems, of course, I had already updated with the New "maware", I mean, DJI firmware ... which makes any experience after that as disatten ...
2017-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules