Using manual exposure
660 5 2017-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Watching video guides, almost all recommend using manual exposure so that you have a consistent exposure through the video. A problem I've noticed is when lighting conditions vary, such as under trees, and when a cloud comes across. How do you get around the lighting change without autoexposure?
2017-4-4
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

What I do is to reset the expose when I fly to new lighting condition.  What you want to avoid is the camera changing the exposure in the middle of a shot. By using Manual, I can control where the exposure will change and then when I edit my final video I make sure the transition footage is not included. It looks really bad to watch a video and see the exposure (or focus) change unexpectedly.
2017-4-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm just starting to use manual exposure myself, and it really does make a difference, but may also require more editing to get what you want. One thing I'm learning to do better is to set the correct exposure using the histogram -- if you underexpose you risk the dreaded watercolor effect, and it's really hard to tell on your phone screen when that happens.
2017-4-4
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

I suppose I'd need more practice first; currently trying to fly smoothly, operate the gimbal and play with the exposure is a challenge. Seemed as if everytime I reframe, I need to change the exposure.
2017-4-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

PHL Posted at 2017-4-4 18:15
I suppose I'd need more practice first; currently trying to fly smoothly, operate the gimbal and play with the exposure is a challenge. Seemed as if everytime I reframe, I need to change the exposure.

Yup, easier to rely on autoexposure at first, and maybe always if you aren't that into video editing. Have fun!
2017-4-4
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some times a little shadow adds interest and generates a realistic atmosphere.
2017-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules