Canon 5D Mark III, Matrice 600 Pro and Ronin-MX
6302 22 2017-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc0373714
New
Flight distance : 51890 ft
United States

I have assembled a combination of the Matrice 600 Pro, Ronin-MX and mounted a Canon 5D Mark III or IV to the gimbal. Everything works except I am unable to remotely control the Canon camera. I think I could achieve remote control if I connect the A3 Pro controls to the remote input on the camera and then programming one of the A3 ports to fire the shutter but is this correct? Any suggestions on how to control a Canon 5D from the remote control units?
2017-4-4
Use props
3x3q
lvl.2
Flight distance : 815666 ft
United States

I use this setup sometimes for photography. You're going to need an RSS unit and a Canon RSS infrared LED, both sold by DJI.

Relevant links:
http://store.dji.com/product/ronin-mx-remote-start-stop
http://store.dji.com/product/ronin-mx-rss-control-cable-for-canon

A word of caution when using a Canon on the M600/Ronin-MX, if you're using it for photography. There's a pretty unbearable delay when taking still photos using the Canon. HDMI output for some reason takes 10-30 seconds to reconnect after every shutter actuation. I have indeed isolated this to the Canon (or at least MY Canon) because I also fly Sony A7Rii and RED cameras with no similar problem. I also use SRW-60G, but I have bypassed the unit manually and still have the same HDMI reconnection delay, so SRW-60G is not the problem.
2017-4-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Try 3x3q's advice and see if it helps. Let us know of any changes.
2017-4-5
Use props
fansc0373714
New
United States

Thanks. I will try this out. I think since we are using he M600Pro the Lightbridge 2 connection helps to minimize the delay but we have only flown it a few times and I am sure once we go into full performance mode his may change.
2017-4-6
Use props
3x3q
lvl.2
United States

I also am flying M600 with Lightbridge 2. The Canon video feed latency over LB2 is actually very fast, on the order of 150-250ms, even with SRW-60G. The delay I referenced above is distinct from transmission latency; the HDMI reconnection delay is caused by the Canon 5D III. You can think this delay as the total amount of time the monitor goes blank when you unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable in the 5D III. For me it's anywhere between 10-30 seconds.

I'll be testing the Canon 5D IV with my setup in the coming days and will report back (hopefully improved) reconnection delay results.
2017-4-6
Use props
fansc0373714
New
United States

I have the IV as well and it will be great to share the outcomes!
2017-4-6
Use props
Heir InVioLable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can confirm the GH4 also has a delay of about 5 seconds.  I am hoping the GH5 will do a bit better as it will have the ability to connect directly via the HDMI port rather then having to use multiple  converters to get to micro-hdmi connector     I'm still trying out optimal settings for video transmission.  If anyone has a GH4 (in the USA)  and gets good transmission signals via hdmi please share (The newest firmware update corrected the LB transmission/ EXT internal controller settings/menu,  however the transmission hasn't really improved).  
2017-4-6
Use props
EagleDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 605062 ft
Netherlands

I'm about to buy a Z15 for my Canon 5D III. So far, I've just heard contradicting stories from several sources regarding the capability/disability to trigger the shutter. I'm just gonna use it to shoot pictures, not movies. And I'm a one man team ;) I would like to know if I can a) trigger the shutter using the standard M600 controller's top right button and b) control camera tilt using the same controller's left wheel. I can't really give myself an answer from the user manuals, so I hope I can get some clarity up in here. I don't mind if I can't use the DJI Go app for these things, as I'm alone anyway...
2017-4-7
Use props
3x3q
lvl.2
United States

EagleDrone Posted at 2017-4-7 00:58
I'm about to buy a Z15 for my Canon 5D III. So far, I've just heard contradicting stories from several sources regarding the capability/disability to trigger the shutter. I'm just gonna use it to shoot pictures, not movies. And I'm a one man team ;) I would like to know if I can a) trigger the shutter using the standard M600 controller's top right button and b) control camera tilt using the same controller's left wheel. I can't really give myself an answer from the user manuals, so I hope I can get some clarity up in here. I don't mind if I can't use the DJI Go app for these things, as I'm alone anyway...

Yes, I use the shutter trigger button and the tilt wheel on the controller for my 5D III. Those controls work just fine.
2017-4-8
Use props
3x3q
lvl.2
United States

I can confirm that the Sony A7R II has near zero delay when reconnecting HDMI after shutter actuation. Very impressed with the Sony as a flying camera in general. Still haven't had a chance to test 5D IV yet.
2017-4-8
Use props
EagleDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 605062 ft
United States

3x3q Posted at 2017-4-8 11:22
Yes, I use the shutter trigger button and the tilt wheel on the controller for my 5D III. Those controls work just fine.

Okay thanks a lot! Good to hear this from someone who actually owns one and uses it in the same way as I intend to. I saw your last post about the mark IV... does that camera also fit in the Z15 or do you need a Ronin for that?
2017-4-9
Use props
fansc0373714
New
United States

3x3q Posted at 2017-4-6 10:18
I also am flying M600 with Lightbridge 2. The Canon video feed latency over LB2 is actually very fast, on the order of 150-250ms, even with SRW-60G. The delay I referenced above is distinct from transmission latency; the HDMI reconnection delay is caused by the Canon 5D III. You can think this delay as the total amount of time the monitor goes blank when you unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable in the 5D III. For me it's anywhere between 10-30 seconds.

I'll be testing the Canon 5D IV with my setup in the coming days and will report back (hopefully improved) reconnection delay results.

I have this all setup now and am using both the MarkIII AND MarkIV. I am also using two controllers with the LB2 controller for the gimbal and camera. There is a delay but it's maybe 1 second not 5. Overall it's a great setup.
2017-4-14
Use props
fansc0373714
New
United States

Heir InVioLable Posted at 2017-4-6 15:58
I can confirm the GH4 also has a delay of about 5 seconds.  I am hoping the GH5 will do a bit better as it will have the ability to connect directly via the HDMI port rather then having to use multiple  converters to get to micro-hdmi connector     I'm still trying out optimal settings for video transmission.  If anyone has a GH4 (in the USA)  and gets good transmission signals via hdmi please share (The newest firmware update corrected the LB transmission/ EXT internal controller settings/menu,  however the transmission hasn't really improved).

5 seconds is real long. I am not experiencing anywhere near 5, it's a lag but only about 1 sec. What's your setup?
2017-4-14
Use props
Heir InVioLable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansc0373714 Posted at 2017-4-14 05:03
5 seconds is real long. I am not experiencing anywhere near 5, it's a lag but only about 1 sec. What's your setup?

That's good to hear.  It may be my cables, which I suspected.   How is your Video Transmission with the Gh4?
2017-4-14
Use props
3x3q
lvl.2
United States

Just as a reference, the HDMI reconnection delay I am referencing for Canon 5D3 is confirmed by DJI in this thread.
2017-4-21
Use props
gunitt
lvl.1

India

According to Canon 5d Manual and Canon Camera Experts:
To trigger your camera remotely,mount the camera on a tripod.Switch the lens to manual focus and focus on your subject.Press the Drive-AF button.While looking at the LCD panel, rotate the Quick Control dial to select the desired remote mode. Compose your scene through the viewfinder and then focus on your subject.Point the remote controller at the camera’s remote sensor and then press the remote’s trigger button.
2017-5-1
Use props
Skylark Aerial
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2411276 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've been using the 5D IV with the Ronin MX & LB2 on the M600 extensively over the last few weeks. We've been shooting video of fast moving action sports. The experienced camera op has made no complaints about latency, so I think ours has been well under a second. We've been using the DJI remote trigger for both video and stills with no problems.

The results of the project will be online soon, so I'll post a link once it's up in case anyone is interested.
2017-5-2
Use props
Kover
lvl.3
Belgium

I just ordered this device : https://intelli-g.com/
They have clear tutorials on YouTube
2017-5-5
Use props
PieterL
New
Flight distance : 218917 ft
Belgium

3x3q Posted at 2017-4-8 11:24
I can confirm that the Sony A7R II has near zero delay when reconnecting HDMI after shutter actuation. Very impressed with the Sony as a flying camera in general. Still haven't had a chance to test 5D IV yet.

Hello, did you find time to test the 5D IV? As my 5DSR has same issues as the 5DIII
2017-5-22
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skylark Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-2 09:43
I've been using the 5D IV with the Ronin MX & LB2 on the M600 extensively over the last few weeks. We've been shooting video of fast moving action sports. The experienced camera op has made no complaints about latency, so I think ours has been well under a second. We've been using the DJI remote trigger for both video and stills with no problems.

The results of the project will be online soon, so I'll post a link once it's up in case anyone is interested.

Very interested in your findings . . . also plan to use the 5DMkIV
2017-9-3
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

any1 find a tutorial specific to the 5DMkIV?  I'm still unable to get the remote start/stop working.  (using Ronin-MX/RSS & Cable for Canon)
2017-11-2
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Question on the RSS (for me its the RSS-C), is there a light or anything that shows that the RSS is receiving adequate power or signal?  I'm still unable to fire.  If no light . . . how can I confirm that its working properly?  Thx in advance ~
2017-12-13
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Can anyone help and tell me if you have to change any settings in Assistant 2?  Are the default numbers in the default settings sufficient for the 'shutter' or do you have to change anything?  Looking specifically for the 5DMkIV.  I've checked the Ronin-MX, the aircraft and lightbridge they are all updated to latest software, but I'm still unable to get the RSS-C to remote fire.
2017-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules