Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Android settings for Go 4. WHERE IS DJI?
5949 13 2017-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TMM777
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3763 ft
United States

You can see I'm new to the forum. It appears that the one item that stands out in this forum is the Android OS compatibility with Go 4 app. This is huge as it involves about half of all Phantom 4 pro pilots. This is an important category and there are many affected. Why aren't they addressing this?
WHERE IS DJI IN ALL OF THIS?

I would think that DJI would be hiring the best Android brains to figure this out. You figured out the IOS side and theirs is a closed system. Android is open source so DJI should have this issue in the rear view mirror. As far as I can see there is no DJI answer to the proper settings for Android while using their Go 4 app. I have scoured this forum and many others to get my answers. Still this is an unanswered question.

WHAT TABLET WORKS? This is the most rediculous issue here. Why would anyone build an app that onlt works with some tablets? It begs the question...Why doesn't DJI just get one of many Chinese manufacturers to build a tablet that works. Oh yes, they did with the P4+. It proves my point. They could have had any of these Chinese buddies build a low cost (normal) tablet like the Nexus 7 with a memory slot and an HDMI out and very bright. One like the built in on the P4 +.

I am relatively certain that there are many Android OS settings that when properly set would allow many additional tablets to be used. I don't see the effort from DJI in this area at all.

Very disappointing!
2017-4-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I suspect you'll find that it isn't the tablet which is the issue (unless the CPU is under-powered), it's the version and manufacturer-adapted implementation of Android. That's why DJI have locked down their P4P+ tablet build, so that it's easier to support without the complication of key Android system setting changes having been made, and additional apps installed which potentially cause conflicts with their installation of DJO GO.
That said it's also not uncommon for developers to advise that their app won't work prior to certain versions of the OS, because it's difficult to maintain support for legacy code libraries used by earlier versions as well as the current. How can you provide advice on the perfect configuration for all of those current and past permutations (system and app)?

But I understand your frustration. I'm just proposing that there's a trade-off for using an open system, and it isn't as easy to provide 'one size fits all' advice for system configuration settings in such circumstances.
2017-4-4
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19928 ft
United States

I agree, the Android OS implementations have to be a crazy mess to support, especially with a high bandwidth, CPU-sensitive app such as DJI GO 4.

If it helps any I have tested a ton of custom ROMs and on the hardware I have on hand, the OS that I can attest seems to work the best under a "Vanilla" config is 5.1.1 Lollipop.  I have had issues with 6.0.1 Marshmallow on certain devices, 7.1.1 Nougat on ALL devices, and even 4.4.2/4.4.4 is limited in regards to "known solid performance".

The only Vanilla OS that runs DJI GO 4 on all platforms I have tried it is 5.1.1 Lollipop.  Again, 7.1.1 seems to have problems on all the devices I have tried (basically exits out of the app unexpectedly), 6.0.1 seems to lockup at times in regards to exiting the flight mode or app in general as well as having issues setting the proper USB communications protocol on certain devices consistently, and 4.4.2/4.4.4 just seems to have "DJI GO 4 has stopped" errors at random.

As a side note, the Pro+ controller OS is based on 5.1.1, so there is that correlation to show that is the OS of choice as well.
2017-4-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-4-4 16:33
... As a side note, the Pro+ controller OS is based on 5.1.1, so there is that correlation to show that is the OS of choice as well.

Interesting roll-up, Brian. And it's telling if DJI favour 5.1.1 too.

Hey, I'm not an Android expert by a long shot, so what's changed? I know that developers of some major apps (including KODI) have dropped support for Android versions earlier than 6.0. Does this imply a major change in the system environment or associated code libraries for that generation onwards?
2017-4-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Go app works fine with Android (at least up to Android 6).
The biggest issue is that the app is very demanding.
Run it on a substandard tablet and you have problems.
Run it on something like the Nvidia Shield and there is no problem.
2017-4-4
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

Actually, it still exits out on the nVidia Shield with 7.1.1 Nougat.

Honestly, any quad-core tablet with 720p or better display *should* work just fine.  Some fast dual-core tablets with 720p or better display should work fine as well.

To validate, I ran DJI GO 4 on a Nexus 7 2012 edition with 7.1.1  and it ran just fine except for the random exiting of the app without warning.  I also ran it under 6.0.1 on the same tablet and had it freeze on exit only once, which was better than some newer tablets under 6.0.1 (where it would just freeze entirely every time).

So a LOT of problems are not only the OS, but also the bloatware AND some manufacturers that actually cripple their own tablets to force an "upgrade path" to newer tech.  Take the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, it worked great without a single app crash or hang since release on the stock OS.  Samsung didn't release a single update until January of this year, and with that update came along a ton of lag, app crashes and general instability.  Coincidence, I think not.  Their update did that.  Upon rolling back to the original stock firmware, again, totally stable, no performance issues, no hangs.  THAT is product sabatoge.
2017-4-4
Use props
TMM777
lvl.1
United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-4-4 19:32

Honestly, any quad-core tablet with 720p or better display *should* work just fine.  Some fast dual-core tablets with 720p or better display should work fine as well.

Clearly my limited knowledge of Android is balanced by your awesome Android acumen. I understand most of what's being said here.

As I said before my N7 (2nd gen) was rooted to 7.0. It seems to be stable since I implemented several setting changes I learned in the wild.. I'm hesitant to use a root software since I've never done anything like that before.

I maintain that DJI could do more and I disagree that their app needs a phenomenal processor. My N7 is considered one of the better tablet choices and it does not have a powerful processor. It doesn't have a lot of memory or loads of resources. In today's terms it is "old and slow" like its owner. DJI could easily source a proper tablet and resell it. I also consider their "head in the sand" approach to this issue very telling. They are big players and could do more to alleviate this thorny issue. Hire a few more brilliant Android coders. Source a simple tablet. (I think that is the best solution)

Is there an easy path to downgrade from what I have to stock or do i have to do some rooting. ( I smell a brick)
2017-4-4
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Android has taken over... The only reason why DJI prefers IOS (Apple) is because it has a very secure standardized OS...  Android has so many flavors that it is hard to develop stuff that will work on all of these devices.  I only use Android.  I started off with my Samsung Tab S (quad core) and it worked well with the P4.  I then bought a P4 P... and after the first update the Tab S had serious issues with the video image received.  I had to ditch the Tab S.  I bought a new Samsung Note 5.  Worked very well with the P4 P...  BUT I then bought the Inspire 2 just to find out that the X5S camera is the only display on screen - the drone recognizes that it is connected to a phone and will not display the pilot camera of the I2!  So, I bought a new Samsung Tab 2 S two weeks ago.  I tried it with the Inspire 2 with good success BUT it has major issues with connecting to the P4 P...  So, yes DJI, it is bloody frustrating.  Please devote more attention to your Android development.
2017-4-5
Use props
TMM777
lvl.1
United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-4-4 16:33
I agree, the Android OS implementations have to be a crazy mess to support, especially with a high bandwidth, CPU-sensitive app such as DJI GO 4.

If it helps any I have tested a ton of custom ROMs and on the hardware I have on hand, the OS that I can attest seems to work the best under a "Vanilla" config is 5.1.1 Lollipop.  I have had issues with 6.0.1 Marshmallow on certain devices, 7.1.1 Nougat on ALL devices, and even 4.4.2/4.4.4 is limited in regards to "known solid performance".

Brian, Is there a particular build of 5.1.1 that is better than another? I went back to stock Android OS 5.1.1 build LMY48T on my Nexus 7, 2013. It was the last one on the list in the choices. Should I relock the bootloader and leave on USB debugging while running the go 4 app? What apps should I get rid of and other important settings to make this work well? Thanks for all the info and patience with all the questions.
2017-4-5
Use props
TMM777
lvl.1
United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-4-4 19:32

Brian, I want to stay at 5.1.1 right? How do I keep the tablet from auto updating?
2017-4-5
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
United States

There should be a setting to turn updating off.  Don't have a N7 2013, so I can't tell you exactly where.  Might want to check with Asus.

Also, turn USB debugging OFF.  You don't need developer options to run DJI GO 4.

The version of 5.1.1 you chose should be the right one.

As far as apps and settings, turn off all sync, turn off all notifications (except ones like battery and such), make sure you don't have anything running in the background (if it is a complete reload, then unless you loaded a ton of apps, which defeats the purpose of using this as a flying tablet, then you should not have much running anyways), and be sure to only load the apps you need, like DJI GO 4, B4UFLY, Google Maps...

That is all I have on my tablet and I have no issues.
2017-4-5
Use props
TMM777
lvl.1
United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-4-5 22:08
There should be a setting to turn updating off.  Don't have a N7 2013, so I can't tell you exactly where.  Might want to check with Asus.

Also, turn USB debugging OFF.  You don't need developer options to run DJI GO 4.

Brian, It is clear to me that while my research and people like you have upgraded my knowledge of Android OS/builds. I have only scratched the surface. Please tell me how to turn off or disable apps so that I have only certain ones running. Is there another app for that? Do I have to turn off these apps every time or is there a configuration lock setting so that you can always come back to this safe, flyable configuration? I am close to actually using this tablet to fly with. Thank you for helping me get the tools necessary to get this up and running. BTW the build I got when I went back to stock settings was not designed for the Nx7. It was just the biggest letter build and I figured that it would be the best one. It was designed for nexus 6 but the software allowed me to use it on my NX7. Almost there, I can almost smell the finish line. I don't want to be an Android expert. I just want to fly and take pictures. Whew!
2017-4-6
Use props
alexeyporubay
Banned

Ukraine

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-4
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm Not a DJI Fan Boy... but you answered your own question. Apple is a closed system - period. The O/S is locked down and it's much easier to code for an eco-space such as that. Android on the other hand, allows manufacturers to pretty much build and configure the hardware in any fashion they choose. It's difficult at best to work with so many different devices that don't have the "same" standard. My Android device is a OnePlusOne - that my friend is OLD! and it works like a champ - never a crash, no over heating. It's a beast! I also recently picked up a Huawei MediaPad M3 - 8.4 that is also a beast, and runs ANY software compatible with the P4P with ease.
2017-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules