Mavic Pro controller stick extensions. How to.
3029 9 2017-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansdad07269
New
United States

First off, my username should be RCBamm, I have no idea why DJI gave me the user name "Fansdad" ?? Anways. This is my first post on DJI forum.

I've been loving my new Mavic Pro; but of course I found some dislikes.

I'll just focus on the MP Transmitter control stick length in this thread for now.

I feel like I'm trying to play GTA on a PlayStation, you know when your driving a car and trying to pretend to be real life so you stay in the road lane, stop at a red light, wait for it to go green, not hit anybody. Ever try it in that game? Haha. I have and that's what the Mavic Pro controller reminds me of when I'm trying to fly precise video capturing flights.

I did my research on removing the Mavic Pro controller sticks and understand the first batch of controllers on the market you could, but now that I just got mine last week, I soon figured out mine are non removable by popping them out with your thumb and index finger.

So the brain storming began.

My thoughts:
• Didn't want to disassemble the controller.
• Didn't want to modify the control sticks.
• Wanted something easily removeable yet sturdy.

Got it! "A tight sleeve over the control stick rubber grip DJI thankfully put there extending out to a spare TX control stick grip piece I have laying around." "Now where am I gonna find the right diameter tube? and man it's probably gonna be too wide towards my thumb then I'll need a filler piece for the spare TX control stick."

I dug around for about an hour looking through my years of RC collecting. Found a nice carbon fiber heli tube that was just a tad too big for the MP stick. Ah might as well try it. As I'm marking the measurements with a sharpie on the CF tube, I'm sitting there looking at the Sharpie Pen cap... it finally clicked. Hallelujah! It's dang near pert! Got it cut to a perfect fit for the Mavic Pro control stick tapering into the smaller spare TX thumb grip. (I took that thumb grip off a bad FrSky Taranis). I still have to make the second one, and then epoxy the thumb grip to the sharpie cap plastic sleeve.

Maybe later on I can get exact dimensions as to where I cut on the Sharpie pen cap so you can cut to the chase, but it doesn't take long to just cut a little bit at a time until the sharpe cap sleeve fits nice and tight on the MP controller stick and extrudes enough to accept your spare TX thumb grip. Takes a little tweaking of the sleeve for it to sit straight to the MP controller stick when squeezing it on. Very easy to remove yet it's stuck on there tight enough for even hardcore flying characteristics. Which most probably never do with such a drone.

Hope this helps some one looking to do the same!

I tested it and it's a ton more precise as well as more enjoyable to fly the Mavic Pro now.

-Daniel
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG
2017-4-6
Use props
fansdad07269
New
United States

A better picture
IMG_0465.JPG
2017-4-6
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

There are 3d printed extensions on ebay or thingiverse
2017-4-6
Use props
fansdad07269
New
United States

Interesting. Just found them online. For me I do not like wide flat surfaced thumb grips. I'm almost finished with my Sharpie cap setup. Going to paint them shines gloss black and post some pics later. If you didn't know a Mavic controller, you would thing these sharpie caps are part of the design of the controller
2017-4-6
Use props
fansdad07269
New
United States

Shiney** think** . I don't know how to edit posts on this forum.
2017-4-6
Use props
fansdad07269
New
United States

The gloss black paint I used turned out horrible. Whipped it off and applied a gloss gray I had laying around. Thumb grips are epoxied in, just waiting for the paint to dry.
IMG_0476.JPG
2017-4-6
Use props
fansdad07269
New
United States

I don't understand why the pictures upload sideways and stretched on this forum.
IMG_0477.PNG
2017-4-6
Use props
fansdad07269
New
United States

All finished. Just waiting for the paint to fully cure.
IMG_0503.JPG
2017-4-6
Use props
fansdad07269
New
United States

Under LED lights
IMG_0505.JPG
2017-4-6
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Nice solution.  I have removable sticks, but Ive been fine with the length.  I also have short fingers, so more stick would be a stretch.  I like your DIY solution... faster and cheaper than buying someone else's.

Thanks for sharing.
2017-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules