Mavic sun flares/glares problem
6121 16 2017-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0dbd0234
lvl.1
Czechia

Hi everyone!

I am satisfied owner Mavic Pro (i love his flexibility), but I have one annoying problem. When i am flying during sunny day (often morning and afternoon), at certain angles in the video appears uncomfortable glare/flares. Is it normal? P.S.: I use ND filters (its the same as without it). Thanks a lot for any response

Videos for example:

2017-4-7
Use props
hybrid33
lvl.2
Flight distance : 912224 ft
United States

Probably a dumb question but are you flying with your plastic dome on?  If you are, remove it.  If not, look into turning your plastic dome into a sun shade.  Could even pick one up off amazon for fairly cheap.  Might help with the excessive sun glares.
2017-4-7
Use props
fans0dbd0234
lvl.1
Czechia

hybrid33 Posted at 2017-4-7 14:07
Probably a dumb question but are you flying with your plastic dome on?  If you are, remove it.  If not, look into turning your plastic dome into a sun shade.  Could even pick one up off amazon for fairly cheap.  Might help with the excessive sun glares.

I am flying without cover bubble. So it is not a defect? Do you have some tips for sunhood cover?
2017-4-7
Use props
hybrid33
lvl.2
Flight distance : 912224 ft
United States

fans0dbd0234 Posted at 2017-4-7 14:23
I am flying without cover bubble. So it is not a defect? Do you have some tips for sunhood cover?

It doesn't appear to be a defect, but i've been wrong before.  I had a slightly different glare effect on a few other vids, and bought this sun shade, and my issue got resolved.  You CAN fly with this on too.  Here's what I bought.

http://amzn.to/2oSBAdu
2017-4-7
Use props
Linda-RC
lvl.1

China

It looks like a halation.
2017-4-7
Use props
fans0dbd0234
lvl.1
Czechia

Linda-RC Posted at 2017-4-7 20:31
It looks like a halation.

What is it?
2017-4-7
Use props
fansf5c4fb09
New

United States

See picture for dji response.
2017-6-13
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

$5 sunshade will fix it.
2017-6-13
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I would have a really close look at your lens in good lighting to see if there is a very slight blur at the bottom of the lens. It looks like you might have cleaned it but left a smudge behind which is only evident in some lighting conditions.
2017-6-13
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

not normal. are you sure it's not your nd filter? are you sure your nd filter is installed correctly?
2017-6-13
Use props
djiuser_gnY8LkA
New

Canada

Just bought a mavic, any footage when the sun is out produces a glare that covers 10-80% of the screen, WITHOUT the gimble cover! Seems like this is a common issue with mavics. SMH.  Returning for a refund
2017-10-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

That's called lens flare and is completely normal and expected. However, it can be made worse by using cheaper filters and not keeping your lens clean. Condensation on the lens can also make flare especially troublesome. Best to keep the sun at your back on sunny days. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare
2017-10-2
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

looks to me like a smudge of yr lense or nd filter that is catching the glare. check the lens and nd filter are properly wiped with a soft cloth and then inspect to ensure that there are no 'greasy marks" on. Lense flare does occur as normal when facing about 45% away from sun but yr video does not look like that type of lense flare more like a dirty lense mark.
2017-10-2
Use props
te5B5V58DD9p
lvl.1
Flight distance : 232362 ft
United States

I have the same problem but worse. I noticed a couple "spots" under the camera glass. Not sure if threat is causing the issue

https://youtu.be/DV4Km5iQBoA

2017-10-12
Use props
te5B5V58DD9p
lvl.1
Flight distance : 232362 ft
United States

Picture of lens
20170425_153709.jpg
2017-10-12
Use props
sduck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

I wouldn't worry about it - it looks normal. Unusual flares happen all the time, even with the most expensive cameras/lenses, even with lens hoods and such. Especially with these relatively cheap, unshaded lenses that are moving all the time, you're going to get flares. You can minimize them with the dark plastic shades as mentioned above, and try different kinds of ND filters, also polarizing ones can help. Flying in hazy, cloudy conditions like your first video - it's almost impossible to get problem free footage - your best bet is to just shoot several different shots of each scene you want, and pick the best one. And remember, great footage that's compelling to watch is still great even with small problems like these.
2017-10-12
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Sometimes is a flare beautifull on your pictures. What you can do is manually set your camera on a grey spot(cloud) and adjust exposure correctly, then go into the sun and shoot your picture.
2017-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules