Satellite positionning off warning. Any idea? Help please?
2552 7 2017-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5c3ae9aa
lvl.1
Barbados

Hello,
I am a pro photographer using phantoms for several years and by know i think i am fairly advanced user. Today I stumbled on an error or warning, which forced me to not do my job. I am on a location, photographing  kite surfers in a high wind, using my new P4P.
This new drone performed well (if you don't count crashing DJI4 Go app which is annoying when you are in rhe air, working).
Yesterday I had all systems ok  and able to fly in high winds. Today, not changing anything at all -  i brought my drone to shore to work - and it told me it is ready to fly in VISION mode only. Satellite positionning off. it said. But I had a max in satellite count, 17 or 18 at times. the little logo showing no problem with satellites. Yet - it keep saying positioning is off. i waited for a long time, restarted everything, and the same problem. I had to abandon my flight as very high, gusty winds over ocean can be a tricky thing without GPS, whe i need to concentrate on best shots, not on keeping drone in stable position.

couple of hours later, in a slightly different place I tried again - and immediately had green Ready to Go GPS mode message. I flu up, and all was well, but couple of times for a brief moment it changed to the same message "Satellite Positioning off, fly with caution". Any idea why would that be? i am in barbados - a super flat terrain with no interference, plenty of satellite signal.
It makes my new drone not reliable for work. any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks and cheers to the group.
Derek

2017-4-8
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are sure you didn't accidentally switch it to S mode?
2017-4-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-4-8 15:05
You are sure you didn't accidentally switch it to S mode?

Sport mode wouldn't make any difference.
It uses GPS just as P-GPS does.
2017-4-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GPS is a (usually) reliable system and your issue sounds like it's a hardware issue and is cause for concern.
Have you flown the Phantom previously without this problem?
If it pops up regularly, it sounds like repair or replacement might be the best solution.
2017-4-8
Use props
djiuser_xHZ86QC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105 ft
India

I got my drone checked from the authorized service center in india, they informed me problem is in gps module which is 2 months old. They then repaired the module as they informed me. The problem vanished for few days but appeared again. I keep facing this issue again and again but no permanent solution. I went to a local repair shop to discuss this issue, they informed me its because of faulty gps module.

I have spent INR 5000 already and local one is asking INR15000 more. The gps module is available on ebay for INR4000 though.

The issue i believe is faulty lot of gps module being supplied by DJI. This module is supplied to dji by blox. I guess dji is hiding this defective lot issue and we are suffering. Service center is making money out of it.
2017-11-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

djiuser_xHZ86QC Posted at 2017-11-25 04:58
I got my drone checked from the authorized service center in india, they informed me problem is in gps module which is 2 months old. They then repaired the module as they informed me. The problem vanished for few days but appeared again. I keep facing this issue again and again but no permanent solution. I went to a local repair shop to discuss this issue, they informed me its because of faulty gps module.

I have spent INR 5000 already and local one is asking INR15000 more. The gps module is available on ebay for INR4000 though.

I believe it's a firmware issue not the GPS module.
2017-11-25
Use props
djiuser_xHZ86QC
lvl.1
India

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-25 05:05
I believe it's a firmware issue not the GPS module.

Dear KedDK

You are right, it was 1.04.0200 version of firmware which was causing this issue. The moment I upgraded the firmware to 1.05.xxxx the issue resolved and drone is running perfectly.
2017-12-26
Use props
djiuser_xHZ86QC
lvl.1
India

it was 1.04.0200 version of firmware which was causing this issue. The moment I upgraded the firmware to 1.05.xxxx the issue resolved and drone is running perfectly.
2017-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules