Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Over Exposure Warning Setting (Zebra stripes) [SOLVED]
11379 12 2017-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I have successfully updated to the latest firmware:

Firmware : v01.03.0550
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.0.6

And decided I wanted to try out the Over Exposure Warning under the Camera Settings.

For whatever reason, I cannot figure out how to get the zebra stripes to appear when I over expose through the camera.  I have tried setting different Peak Thresholds (None, Normal, etc.) in combination with the Over Exposure Warning turned on (green), but am unable to see zebra stripes when I intentionally over expose.

Can someone let me know what step I've missed or if the firmware upgrade had an impact?  I've never used the Over Exposure Warning, so can't indicate if it ever worked, but most likely I'm just not knowledgeable on the proper settings.

I'm using an iPhone 6 BTW.

Much appreciated.......

[Solved:  After trying a variety of setting changes, I found that having the Custom Style setting for Contrast at a -2 or greater (-3, etc.) prohibited zebra stripes from appearing during over exposure.  Solution was to reduce to a value above -2 (-1, 0, etc.)]
2017-4-8
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

delete the app and restart and see if it would work.
2017-4-8
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-8 20:15
delete the app and restart and see if it would work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I deleted the app from the iPhone, re-installed (from cloud), then tried again.  No change.  I am not able to produce zebra stripes when overexposing the image.

Just to be clear, I have turned on Over Exposure Warning on Camera Settings, and have tried a variety of Enable Peak Threshold settings from None, Normal to High (not sure what it should be).

I tried to find information in the user manual, but couldn't find what the settings should be for the zebra stripes to appear to help with exposure settings.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated........
2017-4-9
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
United States

Does anyone have any further suggestion for this issue?  Or can anyone confirm on their specific device that the Over Exposure Warning is working using the current firmware?  I'm on iOS......
2017-4-10
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

Hi,

Firmware : v01.03.0550
DJI GO 4 App iOS : v4.0.6

I have same problem as you. Problem is on the DJI side and they need to fix it because it doesn´t work  on dji mavic pro. On inspire or phantom zebra stripes workes.

Please DJI it´s necessary function for me and others do some update ASAP!!!

With Kind Regards..

Your customer.
2017-4-10
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
United States

I went online with DJI post sales support and discussed this issue.  In short, I got the standard downgrade/upgrade to refresh the firmware response.  If this didn't resolve, then it would be necessary to send in for evaluation.
I asked for confirmation from the support representative that the Over Exposure Warning should in fact work, and if downgrade/upgrade of firmware was unsuccessful, that DJI would need to the aircraft to evaluate the firmware.  
If no one can confirm on this forum that they are able to use the Over Exposure Warning on this version of firmware/app/iOS, then I am going to believe the confirmation is invalid and just a canned response.  I have no intention of sending my perfectly working Mavic (sans Over Exposure Warning) as hardware to evaluate with what is most likely a software issue.
Information from other pilots may be useful in determining if there is an issue that needs to be addressed in a future release, or if there is an oversight on my part.......
2017-4-10
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-4-9 09:30
Thanks for the suggestion.

I deleted the app from the iPhone, re-installed (from cloud), then tried again.  No change.  I am not able to produce zebra stripes when overexposing the image.

I Just installed the latest upgrade. I will let you know tomorrow. I use IPHONE 6S+ and Mini4.
2017-4-11
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-11 20:06
I Just installed the latest upgrade. I will let you know tomorrow. I use IPHONE 6S+ and Mini4.

I did the same and am waiting on the latest app to be published in the App Store.

I look forward to learning the outcome.  Thanks.......
2017-4-12
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-11 20:06

I can confirm that I am still unable to get zebra stripes to appear using the latest iOS app (v4.0.7) and firmware (v1.03.06).  

As I have mentioned, its either non-functioning (have not received confirmation from anyone else on iOS that it is working) or I do not have the right settings and/or understanding of the function.

I hope others can comment on this matter.......
2017-4-12
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-4-12 08:37
I can confirm that I am still unable to get zebra stripes to appear using the latest iOS app (v4.0.7) and firmware (v1.03.06).  

As I have mentioned, its either non-functioning (have not received confirmation from anyone else on iOS that it is working) or I do not have the right settings and/or understanding of the function.

Hey,

I updated the MP to 4.07 and 1.03.06 and the ZEBRA STRIPE are active when I turn the overexposure on.

Maybe take a picture or video of the setup page so we can verify.
2017-4-13
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-13 11:27
Hey,

I updated the MP to 4.07 and 1.03.06 and the ZEBRA STRIPE are active when I turn the overexposure on.

Thank you for confirming that the Over Exposure Warning feature is working.  A previous google search found others experiencing the same thing I was experiencing over the past several months, but no solution was ever posted.

I have found the issue, and will post my findings.

I was using a Camera Setting Style of Custom with the values of -2 (Sharpness), -2 (Contrast) and -2 (Saturation).  I found that the middle value for -2 (Contrast) was the culprit.  Once I raised this to -1 or higher (0,1,etc), the zebra strips began to appear.  I'm not sure why or if this is right, but in a small way, it seems to make a little sense.  When you soften the contrast setting, it either over rides the exposure warning capabilities or it offset the contrast so much that the over exposure warning never kicked in.  The reason why I'm not sure if this is appropriate, is with Contrast set to -2, you could over expose the image severely with no warning (stripes).

I don't know why I was using a Custom Style of -2, -2. -2, but this at least explains my issue.

Its not unexpected, but it does become exasperating that DJI support does nothing more than follow a script; downgrade/upgrade, if no resolution, then send in for evaluation.  Had I followed their suggestion, my drone could have ended up getting shipped back with either a potential result ranging from no issue found to repair/replace with another drone.

This forum is invaluable in comparison, but it still begs that DJI seek out better ways to support their customers remotely.  I hope this information helps others.

Now that I've found how to enable Over Exposure Warnings to work again, I may just rely on the Histogram.......

2017-4-13
Use props
Radioflyer
lvl.1
United States

I can't get rid of em,but this thread may help
2017-5-10
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
United States

Radioflyer Posted at 2017-5-10 15:49
I can't get rid of em,but this thread may help

Check and see if you are using a Custom style, then see if maybe your Contrast setting (middle number) is set out into the plus (+) range.  I would be interested to know if that is causing your stripes to not go away.  Of course, you should be able to turn off Over Exposure Warning if you just don't want the warning altogether....
2017-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules