Totalled it - Pic
5691 66 2015-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-2 20:26
Pointless discussing this further we have different views on safety and what costitutes pilot skill.

Correct Dave, we can agree to disagree

If no human gets hurt, Safety was observed
No Pilot, however skilled, can prevent a true accident, only minimize risk to the best of his abilities

This in my point of view, if yours differ, I respectfully accept that
Happy Flying Dave, at the end of the day we are one the same team
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Muscadel I offer you the same gesture. Happy and safe flying.
2015-3-2
Use props
dennis
lvl.3
United States

Muscadel Posted at 2015-3-1 23:33
Here is my very skew, very broken Inspire

Carbon fiber arms should be a lot stronger then that, what shame we are getting such low end materials used in our aircraft, shame on you DJI.
2015-3-2
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

Hi Dennis, to be fair, the arms are very strong.
6 pounds falling 50 feet onto concrete...  I think even 7075 Aircraft grade Aluminum tubes would have snapped
2015-3-2
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Muscadel Posted at 2015-3-2 06:21
First of all, you were not there, so you can't judge the circumstance,  your self righteous rhetor ...

I think your post just about sums up and qualifies my comments, your abuse shows your indifference, arrogance and immaturity on how you approach the subject of flying in areas where you have no real control of the situation. If you are flying in a overload situation, then clearly you are a danger to everyone, drones continue to be airborne after a collusion, you don't have any type of control after that, hence it might have hit someone. No spectator or competitor knowingly accepts those risks nor they should have to. Trying telling somebody who is injured by your stupidity 'I'm doing it for free, just trying to do the best I can so as to get the shot'.......... To be brutally honest, probably better that you grow up a few more years and accept rational, balanced comment without the need for vitriolic abusive reply.
2015-3-3
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Muscadel Posted at 2015-3-2 20:28
Just a further thought here..

Is amazing to notice that the pilots who have encountered some sort o ...

True, very true
2015-3-3
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

What kind of insurance is this?
2015-3-3
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-3-4 12:10
What kind of insurance is this?

Hallo Fox

Comprehensive All Risk specified item insurance
2015-3-3
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

pandppurchase@g Posted at 2015-3-4 07:49
I think your post just about sums up and qualifies my comments, your abuse shows your indifference ...

Hi Pand

I trust you have read my replies and exchanges with Dave E, and we have come to an amiable difference in opinions, but in respect towards each other.  We share the same sky, we respect each other and continue forward with support for each other sharing a common passion.

2015-3-3
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

I hope you are flying again as soon as possible mate

Dan
2015-3-4
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I totally agree and yes that approach is far more acceptable than your grossly offensive language used in the direct post sent to myself, which I might add is against the protocols of the forum. You might be upset that a fellow flyer had the gall to question why someone should fly without a spotter and you could have argued that viewpoint quite effectively, just that I don't agree with that aspect doesn't mean you can send verbally abusive posts containing seriously bad language direct to me. That in my opinion isn't a mature or acceptable approach to the forum, I'm sorry you have lost your machine but I'm not responsible for its loss and maybe using that all important spotter it could have been avoided. Good luck in getting the machine back in the air, I'm sure we'll follow each other posts with interest.
2015-3-4
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-2 08:00
Muscadel, sorry for your loss. These Monday morning quarterbacks show up on these forums after eve ...

I agree, seems to always be the same few people who can't wait to give a sermon while waving their finger at the guy who just suffered a loss.  Sure pretty much everyone who laid down 3 grand on one of these knows it is not a toy and would usually not jeopardize the craft being immature.  Blaming the pilot because he has a decal on the canopy?  In my opinion that's pretty shallow.
2015-3-4
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

Muscadel, My heart goes out to you. I was very close to a similar accident today. I was lucky enough to stop just short of the tree while filming a tractor driving around in our local park. That was a few hours ago and I think my heart is still beating fast.

I don't want to fan the flames here, but I also get annoyed at those that feel the need to kick you when your down. Seems like these guys are the guys that hover, pan and tilt the camera and call if flying. If you want to get good shots you have to take some risks. Don't be irresponsible, don't endanger people, but these machines allow us to be creative with a camera and we should continue in that spirit.

I hope the cost is at least reasonable and would be very interested to find out what that figure is once you know.

Also, I am heading to South Africa in July for a 17 day safari. My wife is a native South African and her family has put together the trip. I want to bring my Inspire and fly a bit around Botswana. Any idea if I could meet resistance from the local authorities?

~Best~
2015-3-4
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

Hallo Scott and Eagle

Yip, its some people a strange.  They are happy to venomously attack you on the most absurd angles, and then get upset if you respond according.  I suppose calling someone "immature" and to "grow up", is not "personal" but when you tell them where to shove such insults,... well, then you are acting against the rules of the forum.. :-)
Oh well.. :-)  

I absolutely agree, if you want the good shots, you are going to risk your bird, but 100% observe safely of people and property first.

Eagle, as to flying over here:  South Africa and Botswana share no legislation, so you will have check with the authorities in Botswana.
In South Africa, the current state of affairs is :  and I quote "

Currently there are no regulations in place to enable and regulate operations of UAS in South African’s civil airspace. In accordance with the Civil Aviation Act, 2009 (Act No. 13, of 2009).
Official written comment from SACAA’s Communications Manager, Kabelo Ledwaba has asked that drone pilots "err on the side of caution” when flying their drone.
Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Act, 2009 (Act No. 13 of 2009) has been proposed, however it has not been implemented or passed.  
There currently is no ruling against the use of drones in South Africa.

So flying in SA is not a problem at this time, and in Botswana, I presume it will be up to the individual Park where you visit.
I do know some parks are banning them because the "hornet" noise spooks animals, please just check if you consider it.

2015-3-5
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Speaking of South Africa, there is a born south african artist, Dave Matthews, who has a very good song about people trying to get their perfect shot in life. It's called "You might die trying" and it's one of my favourite songs ever. Bottom line Muscadel, keep on trying, keep on flying and do your best to enjoy your eye in the sky. You might crash trying, but it's much better than being safe and numb on the sofa.
http://youtu.be/ypSIiI7bbqo
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-2 02:13
Over the last few days there have been several posts re crashes that have been due to poor piloting  ...

Wow ! Really !!
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Muscadel Posted at 2015-3-2 06:06
Hallo Dave

Quote :To those that have that selfish, immature mentality, do the general public, and t ...

Right on , sorry for your loss . As for the drone cop so called know it all trash talk directed at you , it was immature and completley out of line period ! I can tell you the times at a local rc flying field I used to go to and fly and watch as the Most Expierienced Pilots had More close calls with out of control planes with no GPS etc for one mistake or another having planes go directly into the crowd watching ! And some injuries did happen ! Again sorry ya lost Yer bird , looking forward to your Flight of The Phoenix return then .
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-2 18:42
Muscadel If you read my post again you will see that I didn't suggest that you had been flying dange ...

Hey you got it wrong , he meant if you can't handle a crash and the loss $$$ then go play with another hobby ! Duh Huh ya think ? Get it , if Yer such an rc expert you'd have understood he was manning up to that fact in rc flight , and you don't understand that ?
And I like the A/10 thunderbolt stickers too! so stuff your stuffy ness dave E  .
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-2 08:00
Muscadel, sorry for your loss. These Monday morning quarterbacks show up on these forums after eve ...

Agree 100% with Abe on this post ! In my opinion you took the loss quite well and won't give up soon then !
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Muscadel Posted at 2015-3-2 20:28
Just a further thought here..

Is amazing to notice that the pilots who have encountered some sort o ...

Exactly ! A joke for sure armchair rants , and Mis information all over this forum .. Some of the so called expert info just cracks me up sometimes . No expert here , Expierienced yes .
2015-3-5
Use props
Muscadel
lvl.3

South Africa

Hey Dave/m

Nice to see someone with his head screwed on right!

We fly, we enjoy, and some of us want to be good at this, so we practice, we push envelopes, of the equipment and ourselves.
I'm not ashamed to be a safe but  adventurous pilot!
The rewards are in the moments of dong the near impossible, of seeing the absolute gratitude and amazement on someones face when you hand them the footage, ..
There are things that are so beautiful, so breathtaking, that these so called "Drone Ethics Committee members hovering at 300 feet with is slightly down angled gimble will NEVER get footage of, but hey, they seem to be self appointed Moral Keepers of the Drones.

The point is, I'm prepared to take the hit, because I love what I do.  I never ever endanger somebody on purpose, but someone MAY get hurt, there is no absolutes here.
Fools that endanger people who has nothing to do with what we do, are just idiots, like the retard who put his drone in the flightpath of a commercial jet to get some footage, (Although that looks suspiciously like Microsoft FSX), but be that as it may, if it's real, its moronic.

However, in this case, the MX riders ASKED me to film them.  Yes, precautions are taken, and common sense prevailed , and no one gut hurt, BUT, mr DronePolice, the MX riders are dressed for the occasion, they are in full consent, even more, willing to take the risk WITH me, because they WANT to be better riders by analyzing their riding skills from angels they never could before.
These are guys that ride the Romanics International Endurance race in Sibiu, Romania every year.  They take exponentially higher risks in their sport than a drone flying in their immediate vicinity.

You see, all of these things add up to far more than the sum of the parts.
Mr Drone Ethics committee sees 1 second of a 2 second story, and presume to know who I am, what my pilot skills are, what my moral values are, how I view human life, how I conduct myself, hell, they even seem to know my maturity levels, and general outlook on life!

We should hand these geniuses over to the FBI,... there will be no more crime if they apply these phenomenal skills to curtail criminals..

2015-3-5
Use props
flynamics
lvl.1

United States

sorry for your lost, I bet the closed track would have look spectacular. special seeing the mx lift off a jump. really cool man.
I hope you get your bird working or may need a new one and leave broken for spare parts.
sometime we take risk to get great and different footage than simply flying over the beach or park etc.
I support your intent on artistic expression. sadly there was a slight miscalculation. it happens! cheer up and fly again.
soon more qualified people will be hired to cover the xgames and other events. you will have upper hand in understanding how to shoot these events. later dude!
2015-3-6
Use props
bobibobr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

daver/m Posted at 2015-3-6 03:29
Exactly ! A joke for sure armchair rants , and Mis information all over this forum .. Some of the  ...

Definition of a Experts, X is a unknown factor,  spurt is a drip under presser
2015-3-7
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Muscadel Posted at 2015-3-6 15:00
Hey Dave/m

Nice to see someone with his head screwed on right!

You hit it exactly , the kind of people interested in cameras on UAVs getting fantastic footage and piloting them with respect for public and general saftey precautions rules etc .. The fact that you did have riders permission , they wore their safety gear which is near bullet proof , who those riders actually are .. Dude lucky dog got to film the Romaniacs !! Way Cool I remember watching that race on TV a time or two its incredible. I don't think most of us quad copter camera pilot guys are your average type Inexpierienced or Expierienced , who just sit around the house all day.... we like to get out in it ,we like a challenge the excitement the satisfaction of success and a great finished project ... We are not afraid to spend $$$$ on flying equipment,  or take some well calculated risks under the circumstances with safety always in mind of course ...., always ready to go that extra inch for the shots were trying to get and sometimes even loosing expensive gear in the process .... You'll be back ! Good luck to you then .
2015-3-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

mani Posted at 2015-3-5 20:53
Speaking of South Africa, there is a born south african artist, Dave Matthews, who has a very good s ...

Exactly ! Numb on the couch and complaining arrgghhh....
2015-3-8
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

bobibobr@yahoo. Posted at 2015-3-7 23:38
Definition of a Experts, X is a unknown factor,  spurt is a drip under presser

Ha ha ha funny dude !
2015-3-8
Use props
daninperth
lvl.3

United States

If you were a famous actor you'd be surrounded by sycophants praising you for so cleverly avoiding catastrophe.   

If you post detailing a crash or even asking a theoretical question, expect a lecture from the Altitude Police or from the Bureau of Line-of-Sight.  Sometimes we even hear from private pilots moonlighting as special agents from the NTSB’s highly specialized RC Ethics Division.  It is always educational and entertaining.
2015-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules