possible to use Osmo as webcam?
123Next >
120638 85 2017-4-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Ec6FKfJbcZoz
lvl.1

Russia

Why we are as customers waiting something from DJI. For DJI we are only sheep’s  who’s believed in their risky product and paid money. After buying we don’t interesting for them. Ohh dear customer you want extra soft features we can afford you our new device Pocket 2 with Live Stream and WebCam features. It’s impossible for us give you this cool features for free. And don’t look to GoPro who gives that features from box.It is correct understanding of your position for customers who bought Osmo Pocket isn’t ??
2020-5-4
Use props
djiuser_jLSvSoDEJJUB
New

United States

+1 for adding this feature. I already ordered the camera thinking you could use this as a webcam, and now might return it. All the webcams are out of stock or being price gouged like crazy, and virtual is going to be ongoing for a while. Like this more than hero 8, and would like to not have to purchase that one.
2020-5-6
Use props
rustytj64
New
United States

This new YouTube video looks promising... I'm going to try it later tonight...
2020-5-7
Use props
rustytj64
New
United States

rustytj64 Posted at 5-7 11:44
This new YouTube video looks promising... I'm going to try it later tonight...

Can't post a link but a new video for webcaming the OSMO was posted May 4th, 2020. Look promising...
2020-5-7
Use props
Mindgamesnl
lvl.1

Netherlands

Big bump, would absolutely love it, got my Osmo yesterday and I'm quite disappointed that this feature is lacking

Hoped to at least find some documentation for the API but no luck, can't even get the thing to mount properly without attaching storage so there goes the hope of writing my own software

It should be possible and there is absolutely no excuse that there's no software available.
2020-5-7
Use props
fans94c147a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 134409 ft
Canada

mcphersj Posted at 2019-4-1 10:02
Any update? This is an important feature that is missing that the other OSMO devices had. If I had known, I would not have purchased the Pocket until it had this feature.

I agree. I should have investigated this before purchasing it.
2020-5-8
Use props
fans94c147a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 134409 ft
Canada

I assumed the osmo would support video calling in some form or another when I ordered it. It’s significantly less useful without it.
2020-5-8
Use props
Mindgamesnl
lvl.1

Netherlands

Seems like the osmo action recently got an update allowing you to stream, so there's some development being done on the osmo series, just not in the device that's most likely to be used to stream with
2020-5-9
Use props
Mindgamesnl
lvl.1

Netherlands

Was diving into the app and trying to reverse engineer some resources of cosmostreamer to see what it's all about.
The app is an absolute hell with everything being native and being run behind SecNeo and cosmostreamer is complicated but well put together, using https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.13/driver-api/usb/gadget.html

Still trying to crack it with some friends, but all preventative measures show that DJI doesn't give a **** about you as a user or expendability where they offer API's for other products and try to do everything to lock their platform down to prevent third-party accessories and software.

I'm really disappointed, to say the least.
If we want anything good, it'll have to come from them, which will likely never happen.
2020-5-10
Use props
azecandemir
New
Flight distance : 126886 ft
Turkey

Lack of this feature is really shame for DJI.
This topic is open since 2018 and no action is taken by DJI so far. Most probably DJI will include this easy feature to their new device for marketing purposes and we will be looking a way to sell our second hand osmo pockets

We require not only ability to use the Osmo Pocket using as a web cam but also having the feature of recording videos directly to PC/MAC when connected.
2020-5-10
Use props
cnaegel
New

Chile

Osmo pocket as webcam would be great!!!!!!
2020-5-13
Use props
djiuser_zBI1FsZRADsh
lvl.1

India

3 years and the Streaming or HDMI / USB video out feature still not included. Either DJI is not making enough money or not paying enough to research/engineering staff?
What is your opinion guys?
2020-5-16
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

Bump... at least RTMP streaming should be possible with the Osmo Pocket by now... it seems all updates are coming just for the action recently...
2020-6-13
Use props
syke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 106207 ft
Hong Kong

Come on DJI, even camera companies are pushing out new sw to allow usage of the cameras as webcams. Why are you getting caught on the back foot?  This is so unlike a Chinese tech company, whom are known for being quick to market and daring in their approach. You are losing it.
2020-6-16
Use props
gmuran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238586 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Such a consistent pattern that DJI won't engage with customers. If the hardware can't support the request it would be better to know that. Given how many customers are working from home globally this could have been a massive win for the company. Its time to review alternative drones and camera equipment from companies who value customer service.
2020-6-20
Use props
fansca2a7c88
New

Australia

+1 from me as well.  Decent webcams are in short supply in my country
2020-7-12
Use props
djiuser_tV9xvSzHG7nT
lvl.1

United States

Its a shame GoPro was able to do it with the hero 8...the Osmo Pocket would have been a far more capable unit with its tracking and auto-focus features.  I guess DJI just doesn't have the right software talent that can figure it out...isn't there a saying that "its the humanist not the engineer that is the man of the future"  
Just think of the PR and marketing win DJI could have had with a combination of their hardware chops and an intuitive software package that responded to current needs.

I had gone with DJI as the perception was that  GoPro products were getting stale...GoPro's current move by providing a needed feature and "giving back" to help cope with the times will earn product loyalty which will take considerable resources to unseat.

Maybe DJI will reconsider as it seeks to dethrone the market leader in this arena.
2020-7-14
Use props
Marcodji
New

Ecuador

Por favor dji incluyan la opción de camara web en el osmo poket o por lo menos la transmisión plataformas desde dji mimo
2020-7-14
Use props
jamborini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69682 ft
United Kingdom

Beyond frustrating that this isn't implemented. It could be so fantastic.
2020-8-5
Use props
djiuser_bgljBHq4Oo1Q
New

United States

I will not be buying anything else from DJI. They have ignored this for too long.
DJI.. If you bother to read this. You make the customer think this "WE HAVE YOUR MONEY NOW AND WE DON'T CARE". Well done. You lost business from a business.
2020-8-14
Use props
hehe2
lvl.3
France

Mindgamesnl Posted at 5-10 04:26
Was diving into the app and trying to reverse engineer some resources of cosmostreamer to see what it's all about.
The app is an absolute hell with everything being native and being run behind SecNeo and cosmostreamer is complicated but well put together, using https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.13/driver-api/usb/gadget.html

Hi,

Can you give us some update?

How has it been so far in the reverse engineering process?

I really would like to do this as well, I'm probably gonna try the fake android device on an emulator to dump the USB-C traffic while using the DJI MIMO APP and pluging the OP.

I guess they're not using some encrypted communication over USB using some private key encryption because that would be a pain in the ass to decypher...

If the guy who developed the "cosmo streamer" could do it (I really wonder why he's using a Raspberry Pi though... may be cause he's just lazy or only good with python language?), it's doable, and I want that to be open source and free software.

We as customers are entitled to use that camera both as a USB webcam (even if we can't have face tracking) AND as a streaming device (which would be so insanely good with the stabilization...).

It's just a software issue...

There must be some API that can be reverse engineered, after that it's only about writing a basic USB Cam driver, which must not be that hard to do.

Please tell us what you got!
2020-9-25
Use props
JKPinPDX
lvl.1

United States

I think there is a... "Work Around" that enables you to use your DJI ACTION (or GoPro) as a webcam... but it requires a downloaded program called: gopro2webcam . com ...look it up on the web.
2020-9-25
Use props
fatehshams
lvl.1
Sweden

Any software update regarding DJI Osmo Pocket or Action to use as webcam? Even wants too see NDI support to use it in livestream production.
2020-9-25
Use props
KennyBroh
lvl.1

United States

fatehshams Posted at 9-25 23:17
Any software update regarding DJI Osmo Pocket or Action to use as webcam? Even wants too see NDI support to use it in livestream production.

This is such a basic and important function.  What is the current status?
2020-10-23
Use props
Eric Edgeworth
New

United States

Whichever software engineer is seeing these posts & ignoring them smokes mids
2020-11-2
Use props
Lonz
New

United Kingdom

I would also like to use my DJI Osmo Pocket as  a webcam, come on DJI please sort it out
2020-11-5
Use props
djiuser_YdSMAfvEmzdf
New

Netherlands

We’re going to buy a DJI OM 4 — can we use it as a webcam?...
2020-11-8
Use props
djiuser_H4nwTdERY76Y
New

France

djiuser_YdSMAfvEmzdf Posted at 11-8 00:42
We’re going to buy a DJI OM 4 — can we use it as a webcam?...

Would not recommend you to buy it.
As a DJI osmo pocket user, I have never seen and update not user features requests to be taken into account.
They simply don’t care.
One very requested feature was to be able to use a dji osmo pocket as wired usb webcam on windows or mac, but this never happened.
In a world where we should be promoting reusability, dji is there yet.
2020-11-13
Use props
Schaf77
New

Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-1-20 08:29
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry that this option is not possible with our Osmo Pocket. We do appreciate your understanding.

And why does Cosmostreamer work then?
2020-11-17
Use props
marvinfernandes
New

Netherlands

DJI Tony Posted at 2019-1-20 08:29
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Sorry that this option is not possible with our Osmo Pocket. We do appreciate your understanding.

when will it be possible (with earlier versions of Osmo) or are you only focussing on selling more new stuff to people?
2020-11-19
Use props
frjps
lvl.1

United States

I too am gravely disappointed that I can't use my Osmo Pocket as a webcam & will now be going to GoPro. Sorry, but you don't know how to treat your customers!
2020-11-30
Use props
Wojtorb
New

Poland

DJI don't be such an a****les and provide this feature to your clients who bought your product. Just make it possible to use osmo pocket as a webcam via cable on Mac and PC.

People are complaining for such a long time, some of you took a part in this discussion. It's time to solve the problem!!!
2020-12-1
Use props
NO MORE DJI
New

United States

NO MORE DJI.
2020-12-2
Use props
Urk3L
lvl.1
Switzerland

hehe2 Posted at 9-25 03:30
Hi,

Can you give us some update?

I'll be happy to join the effort, I'm not too much into writing kernel modules yet, but looking at things from another angle.
2020-12-3
Use props
pbofavl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1307631 ft
United States

Looks like it might be possible with third party software:http://cosmostreamer.com/products/cosmoviewer-ng/#download

But this would definitely be a sweet addition to the mimo app.

Get on it DJI!

2020-12-24
Use props
Danny M
New

Netherlands

Any news on this feature? I would really appreciate a new firmware/app for this function. +1 from me for this function.
2021-1-5
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I believe there would be a lot more webcam users than live streamers.

Forget live streaming code webcam software.
2021-1-5
Use props
Peter Derwa
New

Belgium

+1, WANT! this would be a great feature. please add
2021-1-8
Use props
djiuser_NlPoO3Ciloj1
New

Netherlands

Any update or doesn’t the DJI marketing recognise a good business oppertunity?
2021-1-12
Use props
Bavard
New

United States

3 years later and a new osmo pocket on the shelves and still no basic webcam feature. GoPro figured this out ages ago. Just a good reminder to never buy DJI again...
2021-2-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules