I want the inspire, but should I have some more training before i get one?
1675 12 2015-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhki
New

Norway

I have a tiny drone that i fly around in my living room, and now i wanna upgrade and start filming.
I work as a cinematographer and was blown away by the phantom 2 with a gopro 4 on it

Should I get a Phantom 2bfor now then the inspire later on or should I just get the Inspire right away?

Thanks in advance

2015-3-1
Use props
johnmont250
lvl.3

United States

git the inspire, i sold my phantoms....I now have 2 inspires....just take your time. youl love it.  being able to control the camera is the only way to go.
2015-3-1
Use props
jhki
New

Norway

Im worried about crashing it though :p
2015-3-1
Use props
anhtuan.nguyen
lvl.1

South Korea

What kind of small drone do you have? Flying a phantom or an Inspire for that matter is totally different from flying a small drone in the living room. Operating this thing is not rocket science, you can probably pick one up and fly around easily without many issues. However, to fly one safely and consistently is a different thing. You need to know all of its safety procedures, and what to do when things go wrong (and beleive me, things will). I read somewhere that commercial airplane nowadays can fully fly automatically, however there are two trained and experienced pilots to operate it in full manual in case one or all of the auto system fail. You can read and learn a lot from forums, or Youtube, but reading and learning is completely different from experiencing. So imho you should get a Phantom first, and once you're comfortable with it, get an inspire. You will love it
2015-3-1
Use props
HeadOn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1903835 ft
United States

I started with not much more experience than you.  I had a Bebop that I crashed 100 out of 135 times at first.  Which honestly helped me realize I wanted a drone I could control without wifi/app crashing/and constant GPS malfunctions.  That drone was tough but it just invited some reckless experimenting on my part and I never trusted it.
The Inspire caught my eye and my imagnation and given its cost, size, and capabilities made me want to fly seriously and safely.

I did learn to fly planes years ago (but haven't flown in long time) and I decided to treat each flight like I was climbing in a plane.  Helped me stay serious about caring for the Inspire and doing the recommended pre-flight checks and respect that the inspire is big enough that it could cause serious injury or damage.  So my advice - Just be cautious and make sure you take small steps.  You should also spend time practicing in the simulator.  I spent a week or more just flying in my backyard practicing small movements (my yard is small) to get used to handling and slowly build up muscle memory.  Best thing is learning to trust the bird and yourself.  I had one or two close calls, but I made myself replay in my mind what I did (and did wrong).  Usually, my mistakes happened because I panicked.  Luckily, the Inspire saved me from myself.  In my case I realized I was pulling back on the wrong stick when I panicked.  So I spent more time just practicing more of the moves until the stick movements became mre intuitive.  And even now, weather permitting, I still practice my basics in the backyard every day thru a full battery charge.

2015-3-1
Use props
HeadOn
lvl.2
United States

PS I'm in love with the camera.  Once you are above obstacles it is a lot easier to relax and fly and take some great shots/footage.  Just keep taking it slowly and fly line of sight.  Once you learn to trust your bird up there and the Return to Home it really is an amazing sense of freedom that I find brings me closer to what it felt like to fly a plane for me.
2015-3-1
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Make no mistake about it, $4000.00 Canadian is a lot of money for a toy aircraft. For most of us that is all it will be, a toy. For a small percentage of us we can call it an investment and write off the expense. If this is not you... It's a toy. With this in mind you really must ask yourself if this toy will bring you the happiness you desire. If so can your bank account handle the blow? And lastly, if you were to lose this aircraft into a lake or smash it into a tree would you be able to swallow the pain? After you have weighed all of these questions truthfully, then and only then are you ready to leave the monastery. I am willing to go boldly forth and risk my money on a potentially fool hardy venture into commercial aerial videography/ photography gig. Why? Because I can. I too have previous RC experience but none with a quad. So, like you I am questioning my own sanity. Also, I am somewhat concerned with DJI and their lack of forethought with regard to advertising a product as RTF when clearly it is not... It is still in the BETA stage. This product is, in my opinion, too early for release as a turn key solution. With this in mind it will require more consideration as to the safety and reliability of its use. So be forewarned, this is a risky purchase at this time for those that do not have the means to lose $4000.00. Also another consideration is the cost of additional hardware such as IPad mini and applicable video editing software. The processing of 4K video is also not an inexpensive proposition as the software can be expensive, the learning curve ownerous and the video card and ram needed to create decent quality video can quickly begin to strip a bank account. These are some of the things that should be influencing your decision to by this product.
2015-3-1
Use props
jhki
New

Norway

Thanks for all the replies!

I'm flying the icopter force v949 in my appartment and have no idea if it compares at all to the bigger drones. I work as a cinematographer so I want the inspire for professional use.

I'm leaning towards the phantom 2 with a gopro 4 atm, but the Inspire sure is tempting
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jhki I have both a phantom2 with go pro 4 and an inspire. At present I prefer my phantom over the inspire as I have more confidence in it and the go pro 4 is a cracking camera for this purpose. I think that over the coming months the bugs in the inspire will be sorted with firmware updates and the machine will be fantastic.
Because you can control the camera seperately on the inspire more so than on the phantom it has greater potential.
I often use my phantom as a tester to fly a route before flying the same route with the inspire just to get a feel for it.
If I was making the decision you are about to make and you have the funds to do so I would buy a Phantom 2 with the H4-3D gimbal and a go pro 4 for now with a view to getting an inspire in the future. Stick some prop guards on it and practice like mad and enjoy your results.
If when you fly your phantom in 2 or 3 months time you still get a smile on your face and you are still enjoying flying, then go for the inspire. You can still keep your phantom and enjoy it and use it to reccy your location for professional use of the inspire.
I still get a smile when I fly my phantom and watch the resulting videos but I have to admit that even though I don't trust the inspire yet and it has some bugs the smile is bigger. Just watching it transform to "landing gear up" makes me chuckle.
I wish you all the best with whatever you choose and above all please fly safely.
HeadOn can I applaud your attitude and approach. I wish everyone on the forum was of the same mindset.
2015-3-2
Use props
jhki
New

Norway

Good advice! Thank you so much!
This is probably the wrong place to ask, but is there a big difference between the h4 and h3-3d gimbal?
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I can only give input on the h3-3d. I use my gopro 4 in it but I have to use two thin pieces of card between the camera and mount to act as a spacer so that the settings button on the side of the gopro 4 isnt contantly being activated. You can also grind a small area away from the mount to achieve the same result but this will void your gimbal warranty. On Youtube some people were having to use a small coin to balance the h3 gimbal with the H4 in it. I haven't done this as it hasn't been necessary. I can only presume that all of this will not be necessary with the H4 version of the gimbal.
2015-3-2
Use props
HeadOn
lvl.2
United States

RE: I want the inspire, but should I have some more training before i get one?

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-2 19:31
jhki I have both a phantom2 with go pro 4 and an inspire. At present I prefer my phantom over the in ...

Thank you, Dave E.
2015-3-2
Use props
GeneralToner
lvl.4

United States

I went from syma X1 to Inspire 1, no problems.  There was a two day blip of owning the bebop, however that was a mistake.  I thought of a 'bridge' quad and my wife asked me if this is another tripod (nearly every photographer knows this one).  I realized I should just go to what would appear to be the best quad for my hobby wants.

Tripod progression by Thom Hogan (mine was walmart to manfrotto to all really right stuff tripod/heads).
http://bythom.com/support.htm
2015-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules