Gimbal Controls
1422 7 2015-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InRenderSpire
lvl.1

United States

All,

I had the opportunity to slip out between moments of rainy drizzle and get some stick time in on my Inspire 1 and I find I am less than inspired with the gimbal controls for a couple of reasons:

First, who thought up the notion of having only one wheel to control both pitch and yaw of the gimbal?  Don't photographers want to pan and tilt at the same time?  I know I do.  It would be great to at least be able to assign the camera settings dial to control the gimbal.  It seems to me that I will be adjusting the aim of the camera more than I will be adjusting the exposure...  Toggling back and forth between exposure and gimbal control would be dandy!

Second, there should be a way to add curves to gimbal controls.  I am getting better at smoothing out pans and tilts, but it would be great to have control of the easing in and out of these movements.  Furthermore, it would be great to be able to SHARE these curves so we can trade them without having to reinvent the wheel.

If any of you folks have any tricks in this regard, I would be very happy to hear them!

Render
2015-3-1
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

I second your post and was surprised as well to see that the right dial is changing the camera settings and there's no possibility to configure it for camera orientation. I am sure most of us will not find acceptable to have no possibility of tilting and panning the camera at the same time. Those 2 dials could offer a good combination and I don't see how this can be difficult to achieve by DJI. Since we have two customizable buttons that can be used to change the function of the left dial, why not having the possibility of changing the function of the right dial as well?
In the meantime, whenever we need to tilt and pan at the same time, the only way to achieve it is through the DJI Pilot application by touching the screen and shifting the finger in the required direction of the camera movement. Of course is a nice feature in the application, but often not practical to keep our finger on the screen while flying or trying to see what we are filming.
I hope this feedback will reach DJI and we will see this additional control in a future firmware upgrade.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-3-1
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

To really take filming seriously you should have the second remote dedicated to camera movement.  Much better than the dial anyway.

My guess is in a future firmware update they could make the dials configurable and we could have both tilt and pan on  the one remote.
2015-3-1
Use props
johnmont250
lvl.3

United States

you can also just turn the aircraft while tilting.  same thing.
2015-3-1
Use props
Markc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1637933 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I use the control method of holding my finger on the screen and dragging the camera to the position I want.
2015-3-2
Use props
InRenderSpire
lvl.1

United States

I agree that the best answer is two controls, unless you are flying alone... Much less practical then.
2015-3-3
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-2 14:44
To really take filming seriously you should have the second remote dedicated to camera movement.  Mu ...

...........agree
2015-3-3
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

When I'm flying alone I'm happy to use the C1 button to switch between tilt and pan, but yes, should be easy enough to change this in future firmware to use both dials.
2015-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules