Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does anyone in the US have their Inspire 1 insured?
3223 20 2015-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gatorone30
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1145489 ft
United States

Hi All,

Is there a company in the U.S. that you can insure your inspire incase of a crash? Also, can you get liability insurance for UAVs. The reason I ask is that our construction company wants to use a Phantom Vision plus to do Aerial photography and video of some of our construction projects and they have asked me to look into UAV insurance. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Companies:
Cost:
Type of Coverage:

I plan on attending Fly Safe in Altanta this month to increase my skills and get certified.

Best Regards,
2015-3-1
Use props
lakecreekranch
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61860 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's a really good question actually, especially the liability part...  I will run that up the flagpole to our insurance company and see what they say...  I am reasonably certain that our business' umbrella policy covers the liability part but it would be good to hear a confirmation come from the Insurance Company...  Thanks for bringing that up...
2015-3-1
Use props
doctrrf
lvl.3

United States

The Academy of Model Aviation membership $45 includes insurance. $ 2.5 million
2015-3-1
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

I run a production company and I have insurance on all of my gear (inland marine policy). I mentioned to my agent that I am getting a drone for filming and wanted to add it to my policy and she seemed to think that it would be fine. I haven't done it yet, as my Inspire doesn't arrive until tomorrow. As soon as it comes in, I'll shoot the serial number over to her and have a discussion with her about it~ then I'll update here with details. Oh, btw, she is an Allstate agent and my insurance is nowhere near $1600/year,... closer to $400 for about $30k worth of gear and $1M in liability. Details to follow.
2015-3-1
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
United States

doctrrf@aol.com Posted at 2015-3-2 09:28
The Academy of Model Aviation membership $45 includes insurance. $ 2.5 million

I am an AMA member. I saw the insurance. Isn't that for just if you are flying as a hobbyist. My worry is that it will not cover me if I am flying on a construction site and have a fly away and impact a person or car or neighboring business. I have to think worst case scenario.

Also, has anyone ever had a successful claim with the AMA policy. I am just curious.
2015-3-1
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
United States

eaglecook Posted at 2015-3-2 10:32
I run a production company and I have insurance on all of my gear (inland marine policy). I mentione ...

$400 a year is great for peace of mind. Thank you for your help.
2015-3-1
Use props
paulgalvez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 83076152 ft
United States

I run a production company and I have insurance on all of my gear (inland marine policy). I mentione ...

SO did you hear anything about adding your inspire to your policy. Just curious cause I would love to insure mine asap
2015-3-4
Use props
Clem2099
lvl.2

United States

Excellent to know.  Does this cover the replacement cost of the bird should it have an accident?
2015-3-5
Use props
stevejg16
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29001916 ft
United States

I'm wondering if the Liability aspect came into play and you were using the drone for your production company (USA) and you don't have an FAA Waiver, wouldn't the insurance co. deem that an illegal activity and turn their backs? Just curious.
2015-3-5
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

So the Inspire came in a few days ago and honestly, I have been having so much fun flying it, I have ignored most other stuff! I will make this a priority (for obvious reasons) and let you guys know the details. Stevejg16, great question and one that I will be sure to get a clear answer for!
2015-3-5
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

Just set up a policy with my Allstate Insurance company. Used my renters insurance and added my Inspire 1, my new Plexi Drone and all of my accessories, electronics, computers, tablets & software to the policy for only $40/mo.

Covers $20,000 in theft, fire, flood/water damage, crash during transportation in vehicle.
Liability Coverage of 1.3 million

Not bad for only $40/mo.

This is in Florida, USA

Policy starts today!!
2015-3-6
Use props
jonathanlipking
lvl.2
United States

The PPA is great too (and half the price for membership).
2015-3-6
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Oh jesh.........

Well ,,,,,,
I'm calling Jake from State farm on this great info here I have been thinking about insurance on this UAV from day one .
2015-3-7
Use props
jasonwiss
New

United States

My name is Jason Wissmiller.  I am an aviation insurance broker and I thought I would chime in regarding insurance coverage.  I just want to caution you all on purchasing the correct insurance.  Crossfittb mentioned above that he purchased coverage for physical damage from Allstate, which I certainly don't doubt, but I want you all to be aware that it will not cover the physical damage to the UAV while it is being operated.  And I would also question whether or not the liability coverage provides any coverage while the UAV is being operated as well.  The liability policies offered by the non aviation property and casualty markets - State Farm, Allstate, etc. - do not anticipate providing coverage for aircraft, or in this case unmanned aerial vehicles.  I have talked to a few of the Inspire buyers and owners over the last few days and I just want to make sure everyone is buying the coverage they think they are buying.  If you are at all concerned I would recommend getting something in writing from the agent or broker.
2015-3-12
Use props
Gatorone30
lvl.3
United States

jasonwiss Posted at 2015-3-13 01:16
My name is Jason Wissmiller.  I am an aviation insurance broker and I thought I would chime in regar ...

Please PM me with your contact info. Thank you for your input. I want to make sure I get the right coverage.
2015-3-12
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.3

United States

jasonwiss Posted at 2015-3-13 01:16
My name is Jason Wissmiller.  I am an aviation insurance broker and I thought I would chime in regar ...

My agent has informed me that my insurane will NOT cover any damages to the craft while in flight, take off or landing. It covers theft, fire, flood damage or damamge to the craft while in tansportation in my vehicle due to an auto accident. The liability coverage does cover me for any damages to others property, vehicles or their person. It does not again cover damages to the craft itself.

I am looking for an insurance company that can provide this type of insurance coverage in case of an accident or crash to the craft while in flight, take off or landing. Does your company provide this or do you know of a company that does?

Thank you,
Jeremy
2015-3-12
Use props
ArmyScout
lvl.2

United States

USAA covered my I1 but only for flood, fire, and/or theft.  They said they won't cover any crashes what so ever.  Cost me $44 a year.
2015-3-12
Use props
armyturtle
lvl.1

United States

Any insurance company will tell you whatever you want to hear - when setting the policy up. It's a completly DIFFERENT story when the time comes to put a claim in. That's when the truth comes out. The actual truth of the matter is that insurance companies are in the business of making money (like any business) and will surely skirt out of paying up with any way they can. I would proceed extremely cautiously signing up for insurance (whether looking to cover damage to your UAV, people around it, or physical damage to something you may hit). Hold your breath if you have to actually file a claim, and expect to be screwed; believe me, they'll be looking for a way to do it.
2015-3-12
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Gatorone30 Posted at 2015-3-13 04:26
Please PM me with your contact info. Thank you for your input. I want to make sure I get the right ...

I also want to purchase the correct insurance.
Any updates from previous posters?

I want to insure my inspire for liability as well as theft, and crashes
2015-3-18
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

So did you get your Inspire and did you talk to your agent?
I am starting a small production company and want all my gear insured as well, about 10k worth.
Can you plz pass on ur agents contact info via PM to myself, they seem to know what's up and I want to be covered as soon as I have the serial numbers of all my new equipment. thx
2015-3-18
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Join the AMA and receive 2.5. mil of liability coverage, liability only, no crash and burn insurance. I belong to the AMA for that reason. However, the AMA insurance only kicks in once your liability insurance is exhausted. I have a umbrella policy for $1 mil. Not expensive at all, around $200 per year. That policy covers you for any legal actions against you. Basically you are getting a million dollar Attorney on retainer. If he loses you still have the $1 Mil payout and then the AMA will kick in. That is if you were not doing anything irresponsible?
Fly safe and you will not have to worry about any issues.
2015-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules