10751 25 2017-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jerome42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10617 ft
France

Hello !

I have the message NFZ limit with firmware 600 but I am not in a NFZ zone.

I had a message to download NFZ but it fails.

How to download NFZ to solve this problem ?
2017-4-12
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

I had the same. The controller said "NFZ limit" and the app prompted me to update/download NFZ data. The download progress remained at 0% for about 10 minutes. I have no idea how to start an NFZ update.

After a restart of RC and drone, everything seems to work normally again but the whole story left a bad taste. Could anyone please explain what happened? All similar postings in this forum seem to end with questions but no answers.
2017-4-12
Use props
Juаrez
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207513 ft
Belarus

A similar problem, indoors and outdoors on the screen of the RC message NFZ LIMIT .  I here in free fly zone
2017-4-12
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

So whats the word on the from DJI. Are we not able to fly indoors anymore also?
2017-4-12
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Same problem here but went away out side
2017-4-12
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Germany

Dronoob Posted at 2017-4-12 12:49
I had the same. The controller said "NFZ limit" and the app prompted me to update/download NFZ data. The download progress remained at 0% for about 10 minutes. I have no idea how to start an NFZ update.

After a restart of RC and drone, everything seems to work normally again but the whole story left a bad taste. Could anyone please explain what happened? All similar postings in this forum seem to end with questions but no answers.

A short explanation about my concerns:

1-2 weeks ago someone wrote here about a crash. He was taking off and flying not knowing that he was in an NFZ. After 25 seconds of flying (and 25 seconds of GPS availability) the Mavic noticed that it was in an NFZ and forced an immediate auto-landing. Unfortunately, the Mavic was over a lake at that time. Luckily the pilot could mitigate the crash by flying the landing Mavic into a nearby tree.

I really, really, really would like to avoid that something like this happens to me because the NFZ-database is confused or updated during the flight. The fact that the RC said "NFZ limit" after the firmware update although nowhere near my position was an NFZ is quite concerning.

I do not want to fly the Mavic with those concerns. A short DJI statement that it is save to fly after the NFZ update failed, would be really appreciated.
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I have the message NFZ limit with firmware 600 but I am not in a NFZ zone.

I believe I've seen someone from DJI (Ken?) suggest turning GEO off when you run into a problem, so you might give it a try.

2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-4-13 00:36

1-2 weeks ago someone wrote here about a crash. He was taking off and flying not knowing that he was in an NFZ. After 25 seconds of flying (and 25 seconds of GPS availability) the Mavic noticed that it was in an NFZ and forced an immediate auto-landing. Unfortunately, the Mavic was over a lake at that time. Luckily the pilot could mitigate the crash by flying the landing Mavic into a nearby tree.

1-2 weeks ago someone wrote here about a crash. He was taking off and flying not knowing that he was in an NFZ.

I know the post you're talking about, and part of the problem was that the OP powered on his Mavic and immediately flew off before it could even acquire GPS. Give your aircraft enough time to acquire GPS -- and maybe a little longer -- and you aren't likely to have a problem. I don't live in or near an NFZ, but if I did the extra 30 seconds or so that it would take would certainly seem like a worthwhile sacrifice to make to have more confidence I wouldn't crash.

2017-4-13
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Germany

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-13 02:48
1-2 weeks ago someone wrote here about a crash. He was taking off and flying not knowing that he was in an NFZ.

I know the post you're talking about, and part of the problem was that the OP powered on his Mavic and immediately flew off before it could even acquire GPS. Give your aircraft enough time to acquire GPS -- and maybe a little longer -- and you aren't likely to have a problem. I don't live in or near an NFZ, but if I did the extra 30 seconds or so that it would take would certainly seem like a worthwhile sacrifice to make to have more confidence I wouldn't crash.

Sorry, but your analysis is not correct. The aircraft got GPS during the flight and continued its flight for about 25 seconds. Then it suddenly noticed that it was in an NFZ and immediately started the landing procedure. If it had started the landing procedure the moment it acquired GPS signal, the drone would have been 5m from its starting point and landed safely. Unfortunately, 25 seconds later it was over the lake.

Nonetheless, this is not the issue in this thread. It was just an example that NFZ issues can become expensive and should be avoided. So, back to the original topic:

The RC gave me an "NFZ limit" warning after the update and the NFZ database updated failed. Is that a serious issue? What is recommended by DJI now? Can we restart the NFZ update? Is it safe to ignore the NFZ update? DJI, please advice!
2017-4-13
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Same here. The new NFZ file did not load.  After rebooting,  I tried to get back to the point I could upload the new file but couldn't find any indication of needed updates.  I suppose it was just a glitch in the firmware update and the new files will be available later.  

BTW, as a routine pre-flight check, I always use B4UFLY to check for airspace boundaries in my area to avoid the kind of forced NFZ landing mentioned above.

2017-4-13
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Dronoob Posted at 2017-4-13 00:36

I was the guy with the problem yes, I did not tested the new Firmware and I dont think they added something in the new release because just ONE guys did complaint
2017-4-13
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Germany

trica de Posted at 2017-4-13 05:20
I was the guy with the problem yes, I did not tested the new Firmware and I dont think they added something in the new release because just ONE guys did complaint

Yes, that was you. I am not concerned that the same happens to me that happened to you (although I have still the opinion that the 25 seconds delay caused your troubles and that should be fixed by DJI). I am concerned, that my controller gave me an "NFZ limit" message after the update and the app tried to update its NFZ database and failed.

Let me assume the worst case: The NFZ database is broken and during flight the Mavic thinks I am in an NFZ and initiates auto-landing in a very bad place (over water or a road).

I just want to hear from DJI that it is safe to fly (or how to fix it).
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-4-13 04:53
Sorry, but your analysis is not correct. The aircraft got GPS during the flight and continued its flight for about 25 seconds. Then it suddenly noticed that it was in an NFZ and immediately started the landing procedure. If it had started the landing procedure the moment it acquired GPS signal, the drone would have been 5m from its starting point and landed safely. Unfortunately, 25 seconds later it was over the lake.

Nonetheless, this is not the issue in this thread. It was just an example that NFZ issues can become expensive and should be avoided. So, back to the original topic:

Specifically which part of my "analysis" was incorrect? What I stated is correct: that part of the problem in the thread you referred to was that the OP took off before the Mavic could acquire GPS. And yes, there appeared to be a gap between when the Mavic acquired GPS and when it figured out it was in an NFZ, but my point was accurate and stands: a little patience would almost certainly have prevented the crash described there. Had he waited a little longer to take off, the Mavic would have recognized it was in an NFZ and refused to take off.

Nonetheless, this is not the issue in this thread. It was just an example that NFZ issues can become expensive and should be avoided.

What you wrote in the post I replied to was that you "really, really, really would like to avoid that something like this happens to me because the NFZ-database is confused or updated during the flight."

There's no evidence in that thread that the NFZ database was "confused" or that it was updated during the flight. There is, however, evidence that it's not a good idea to take off immediately after powering on the Mavic, which is what I recommended against.

2017-4-13
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I will go out later and give it a try...
2017-4-13
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

The issue seems to be when you have a weak GPS signal, like indoors etc this NFZ message appears. if you have no GPS its ok and above 12 or so it will be fine. Turning off Geo is a good shout
2017-4-13
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Germany

Morepeople seem to have this issue. See thread: NFZ limit
2017-4-14
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

trica de Posted at 2017-4-13 05:33
I will go out later and give it a try...

so far no problems but I have to say I had 12 satellites
2017-4-14
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-4-13 04:53

Dronoob,
               I'm in agreement with DroneFlying --- it is INPERATIVE to wait for the Mavic's control system to acquire GPS signal.
                I have been numerlessly upgrading and downgrading my FW -- trying to isolate an issue that has nothing to do with this thread and I've noticed every time I upgraded back to 600 FW my controller gave me the NFZ LIMIT popup and I'm nowhere , anyhow, anyplace near a no fly zone --- I wouldn't worry too much about it --- Just keep it in the back of your Mind when you fly and make sure your nowhere near a NFZ ---- Some food for thought --- some people think that fly near or in-between very close NFZ's is OK and wind up flying into the NFZ and regret it --- I even heard of people flying in an area for small plane little traffic airfield zone's that were not classed as a NFZ and they still ran into trouble --- My whole point of this post is wait for GPS lock and don't fly anywhere near (within 5 miles ) of any airport Big or Small -- I understand your concern , no one wants to suffer a loss or crash of there Mavic Craft do to a glitch but keep in mind that all is being recorded --- flight area , control input etc... if you are not near a NFZ and something happened and a NFZ Limit cause you to crash and you did nothing wrong your problem will be rectified --- Remember wait for GPS lock !!!
FlySafe--FlyFree         
2017-4-14
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i had this issue too
2017-4-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Have you tried turning GEO off? I first saw that suggested by DJI but so far I don't remember anyone having tried it and then coming back to let us know whether or not it really helped. I'd be curious to know if disabling GEO really has worked for anyone.
2017-4-14
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

For those people having NFZ problems on the new firmware, have you recalibrated your compass. I have had no issues on the latest firmware with NFZ but I am not near one either, However, as soon as the firmware was updated, I did calibrate the compass. It is the only thing I calibrate after an update.
2017-4-14
Use props
Salegy
lvl.1

Italy

Any news about this issue? After downgrade back to 400 all is ok but ...
2017-4-16
Use props
jpno1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152057 ft
New Zealand

All these issues are because the stupid Chinese government force DJI to add NFZ limit functions and personal monitor functions to their products.
2017-4-17
Use props
towheaded-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35125 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was about to update my mavic to .600 but now, I'm staying at current .400. I agree with some saying you should wait until full GPS lock but if you are flying indoors then this is bad. For those having the issue, are you on IOS or Android and what app version are you running? Over at another forum, a pilot experienced this NFZ limit while flying and the mavic did a forced landing.  
2017-4-20
Use props
jerome42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10617 ft
France

If I downgrade to firmware 400. Should I connect every battery to the drone ?
2017-5-8
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

give x700 a try its just released ... may this fix it
2017-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now